DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
yeah. screw this guy -->
Your wish is my command.
Old 10-06-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The changes are subtle, but occur throughout the duration of the movie. It's certainly NOT just the shot of the crocodiles.

If "Star Wars" was released to DVD, and a number of scenes used different takes from the actors, wouldn't you care?

How about if the animation from "Fantasia" was "improved"? That's inconceivable because it's a 60+ year-old film, and they wouldn't re-animate, right?

But it's okay for them to screw with the 9-year-old "Lion King"?

It certainly bothers me that my favorite Disney film is finally coming to DVD after all these years...and it's not even the film that was released in theaters...DESPITE the fact that Disney (and the retailers to whom they feed info) is advertising it as the "original theatrical cut".

Here's a direct quote from a recent USA Today article. "Hahn" is Don Hahn, the producer of the film.

It all sounds like an adventure — but it raises a prickly question: How far back into its library will Disney go to make "improvements"? Would the studio do this to The Jungle Book? Snow White? When should a movie be left alone?

Disney's answer: Not to worry. It's all about options. The original version of The Lion King, with no remixing, no tinkering and no new song, will also be included in the DVD.

"The purists out there can see the movie exactly as it was in 1994," Hahn says.
"Those who enjoy seeing new innovations can sing a new song."
It's not bad enough that they're not giving us the original film, but to actually make the claim that they are?

Sure, the edited scenes ultimately don't change the film's impact very much at all. But if that's the case, then why change them in the first place? Why change the original studio logo? Why change Mufasa's appearance in the clouds?

This really isn't different to me than if they were going to re-do the Rites of Spring segment because they could make it "look better" for IMAX. And many of the changes (like the SFX-dust in the clouds) weren't about "adding details."
Old 10-06-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know, LB . . . it's not like they had Simba get eaten halfway through the movie or something . . . it's some realtively small changes (in the grand scheme of things). I figure it's their movie . . . it's their business. It's not like a significant number of people are actually not going to buy it soley because of these tiny changes. They are going to go ahead and buy it because it's a good movie and, deep down, they know that the changes don't affect the film in any material manner.

What's the deal with everyone thinking that the original releases of movies are so sacred anyway? It's just the first ones that we see and, therefore, the ones that we get "comfortable" with . . . it doesn't mean that they are inherantly better than any other version.
Old 10-06-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sigh. If only everyone would protest like you instead of the manicial rantings we're constantly subjected to..
I really gotta start using smileys.
Old 10-06-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Aw, don't do that . . . I look forward to that feeling of "What idiot is saying this outlandish cra . . . oh, wait it must be Ryo . . ." and then looking over and seeing that I'm right. Smilies would ruin it . . .
Old 10-06-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Old 10-06-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by talemyn
It's not like a significant number of people are actually not going to buy it soley because of these tiny changes.
I agree. And at the same time, people are not going to buy it just because of the changes. It seems pointless and a waste of money and time.
Old 10-06-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Guess what!!

The crock shoots first
Old 10-06-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
CENSORSHIP!
ARRRGGGHHHH!

Spoiler:
Actually though, I do see the problem with this. It pretty much sucks in my book.
Old 10-06-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
I agree. And at the same time, people are not going to buy it just because of the changes.
Probably true, but it seems to me to be the classic "cutting off your nose to spite your face" kind of thing. There is a lot more to be gained (better sound, better picture, lots of special features, etc.) from sucking it up and buying the DVD with minor changes, than sticking with the VHS release.

Not my business to tell people what to do, but "boycotting" the DVD for those minor edits seems pretty silly to me.
Old 10-06-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
I agree. And at the same time, people are not going to buy it just because of the changes. It seems pointless and a waste of money and time.
I guess when it comes to Eisner logic doesn’t apply anymore.

Originally posted by talemyn
There is a lot more to be gained (better sound, better picture, lots of special features, etc.) from sucking it up and buying the DVD with minor changes, than sticking with the VHS release.
what about an LD to DVD transfer?
Old 10-06-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
hmm...the punchline of a joke is killed if you explain it...but, confusion could be worse...ah, screw it -- I gotcha the first time Ryo...perhaps I need to start using smileys...
Originally posted by Class316
I guess when it comes to Eisner logic doesn’t apply anymore.
HOLY SHIT!

How many degrees did the temperature in Hell go down..? I AGREE with Class316
Old 10-06-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm...the punchline of a joke is killed if you explain it...but, confusion could be worse...ah, screw it -- I gotcha the first time Ryo...perhaps I need to start using smileys...
Rogue . . . I think you and I need to start an online petition demanding that Ryo only release his comments in the original format . . . no SE comments with newly inserted smilies!!!

Old 10-06-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Class316
Is that really an equivalent? Plus, how many people out there actually have the LD and the equipment to make the transfer. I've been a huge fan of movies for a long time and in all of my years, I can only think of two people who I knew who owned a LD player. I really don't see that as a realistic (or legal, except for the actual LD owners) option for a vast majority of potential buyers.
Old 10-06-03, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Ugh. Why did they need to change this? WTF?

I'm not pleased that they won't be offering the original theatrical release on the DVD in any form, and this change is just POINTLESS but I'll still pick up the set. Used. So Disney doesn't get any extra money from me.

P.S. Does this set come with an insert?
Old 10-06-03, 11:42 PM

I didn't see this mentioned so I must ask....Are the alterations (crocs and whatever else) only on the new version (the re-tinkered one with the new song) or is it also on the version touted as the orignal 1994 release? Also, someone said that the crocs were by no means the only alterations...please list the others.
Old 10-06-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Fed-Ex Pope
Also, someone said that the crocs were by no means the only alterations...please list the others.
Word has it that the infamous "SEX" or "SFX" in the dust cloud has been removed, but other than that, I haven't heard of any more changes myself. Any one else?
Old 10-07-03, 12:32 AM

Well, I picked up the new edition about an hour ago. It looks incredible!
Actually, I have one. I have hunted down many laserdiscs of films that have altered DVD releases (or none - such as Star Wars). I found a great little shop in town that will transfer laserdiscs to DVD for me. It is great, and I have actually had fun tracking down old laserdiscs. I am a huge whore for the original theatrical versions of movies. I really am. However, that did not keep me from buying this Platinum release. LB is right though - it was advertised as being unmodified, so that is a bit untrue. Oh well, it is a gorgeous transfer though on the new DVD. I doubt anyone will have any complaints. I definitely do not see any of the transfer issues that were on the Beauty and the Beast DVD.
Old 10-07-03, 01:02 AM

I'm not one to nitpick over small things like this in a DVD release.... but I seem to remember there was a very unique style to the animation in that song, and especially that part of the song where they quickly go through all the animals. Its obvious by the pics posted here that its a big change in the drawing style, won't it be glaringly apparent when viewed along with the rest of the scene?
Old 10-07-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by paul.n3w
I'm not one to nitpick over small things like this in a DVD release.... but I seem to remember there was a very unique style to the animation in that song, and especially that part of the song where they quickly go through all the animals. Its obvious by the pics posted here that its a big change in the drawing style, won't it be glaringly apparent when viewed along with the rest of the scene?
The crocs themselves look simplified, which is how most of todays animation is kind of. But a few seconds of animals won't bother me, especially when the whole song was meant to look really cartoony and 'fun' and 'silly' anyway. But I do agree that they really shouldn't have ADVERTISED an untouched original version of the film if they didn't mean it.
Old 10-07-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Glad I kept my LD boxset.

-k
###
Old 10-07-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mzupeman2
But I do agree that they really shouldn't have ADVERTISED an untouched original version of the film if they didn't mean it.
I agree, but I think that it was probably a poor choice of words more than anything else. My guess (and it is just that) is that they were calling it the theatrical release in that it is the same movie, with no additions or alterations to the story, as was released in the theater . . . as opposed to the "remix" version that is also on the disc. The change in the drawing style of the crocs and the removal of the SEX/SFX letters from the dust cloud (the only two changes that I have heard anybody confirm) hardly constitute a major deviation from the original. I would consider the description of it as the "Theatrical Release" to be more of a faux pas than the lie/deception that some have painted it to be. Does anyone out there really think that Disney would try to dupe the public so poorly in a manner that would have no chance of ever going unnoticed?
Old 10-07-03, 01:56 AM

I agree, but I think that it was probably a poor choice of words more than anything else.
I think you are probably right. Besides, 99.9% of kids who will watch this would never notice. Only those of us anal-retentive home theater buff types would ever notice anyways. So yah, I doubt they intended to lie... and they probably didn't really consider it a deviation anyways. Not a huge deal, but if it really did bother me, I could pull out my LD or DVD-R backup and watch the SEX/SFX scene or the original crocs....but I seriously doubt I ever will.

Zack
Old 10-07-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by ZackR
I think you are probably right. Besides, 99.9% of kids who will watch this would never notice. Only those of us anal-retentive home theater buff types would ever notice anyways. So yah, I doubt they intended to lie... and they probably didn't really consider it a deviation anyways. Not a huge deal, but if it really did bother me, I could pull out my LD or DVD-R backup and watch the SEX/SFX scene or the original crocs....but I seriously doubt I ever will.

Zack

Exactly right on that. It was just a poor choice of words. 'Original' version of the Lion King means simply, without the new song. Either it slipped his mind at the time, and that was the best way to word it just for the interview or whatnot, or Disney needs to realize just how many DVD afficionados there are who will jump on something like that in a minute
Old 10-07-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I'm really surprised someone noticed this so early...unless they sat with bot version side-by-side looking for differences. I'm not sure if I would notice (havent bought the dvd yet).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.