Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Space Jam, Vegas Vacation- should I buy the new versions if I have the Japanese ones?

Community
Search

Space Jam, Vegas Vacation- should I buy the new versions if I have the Japanese ones?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah yeah shut up I can't search for "Jam" and a search for "Space" would be ridiculous. My question is more about Space Jam, since I just saw an ad for the 2 disc collection above these forums.

Anyway, I bought the Japanese NTSC Region 2 versions of these simply for the fact that they were widescreen and the US versions were not. I really don't care about animorphic, if that is added. (Not sure if the Japanese are or not) Believe it or not, I actually PREFER seeing black bars on my widescreen TV. I like to know FOR SURE if I'm watching widescreen or not. If I don't see any bars, I am afraid I'm watching the movie in fullscreen sized to fit my widescreen TV. (I have the default setting as wide zoom, which cuts off a very little of the top and bottom of full screen stuff.

Anyway, besides different picture and sound quality (the only thing I care about in this respect is widescreen or not widescreen), the only reason persuading me would be more special features. So does anyone know what special features will be added to these two movies (if any on Vegas Vacation)? By the way the features on the US and Japanese original releases are identical, besides the switched aspect ratio.
Old 10-06-03, 03:54 AM

Re: Space Jam, Vegas Vacation- should I buy the new versions if I have the Japanese ones?

Originally posted by marioxb
Believe it or not, I actually PREFER seeing black bars on my widescreen TV. I like to know FOR SURE if I'm watching widescreen or not. If I don't see any bars, I am afraid I'm watching the movie in fullscreen sized to fit my widescreen TV. (I have the default setting as wide zoom, which cuts off a very little of the top and bottom of full screen stuff.
I'm confused. Why are you so concerned about not having any of a widescreen picture cut off, but totally unconcerned about having part of a fullscreen picture cut off? If you don't care about black bars on the screen, wouldn't you rather watch fullscreen movies and TV episodes with black bars on the left and right?

Sorry I couldn't answer your actual question... but this seemed like an odd contradiction to me.
Old 10-06-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you like seeing black bars, buy only movies shot in 2.35:1. If you have a widescreen TV, why not take advantage of it, methinks. Or, you know, set up your DVD player to make sure it actually is one, then switch back knowing you definitely watching a movie's OAR. You should care about anamorphic, as it means more than just being able to watch it on your widescreen TV.

I think there's a bunch of extra stuff on the Space Jam DVD. It's a 2-disc set afterall. Check Amazon.com for the list. As far as Vegas Vacation, I think there's only a trailer and, you know, the movie in widescreen. I'm pretty sure both are anamorphic.

K
Old 10-06-03, 08:38 AM

I'm confused. Why are you so concerned about not having any of a widescreen picture cut off, but totally unconcerned about having part of a fullscreen picture cut off? If you don't care about black bars on the screen, wouldn't you rather watch fullscreen movies and TV episodes with black bars on the left and right?
Because in a perfect world, full screen will be eliminated eventually, hopefully. Besides that, the huge grey bars on the sides are much more distracting then the widescreen bars ever were.

I don't know, to me, those black bars on the top and bottom give me more of a "cinematic feel", maybe because I'm so used to watching widescreen on regular TVs. Plus, I'd rather have the subtitles, if needed, appear in this black area rather than covering the actual movie.

The main things I care about in DVD shopping are (in this order) OAR, special features. Um, thats it. The main reason I got DVDs in the first place was that they can have all those extra things besides the movie, plus scene selection, no need to rewind, and they last longer than VHS. Sure good picture and sound quality are nice, but it's not gonna keep me from buying the movie. Well to be honest, if I really like the movie, nothing is gonna keep me from buying it, OAR or not. As much as I wish full screen (including ALL TV programs) would go the way of the dinosaurs. Yeah I know, except things that were already made and intended to be full screen.