Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

We've got Robin Hood, now what about Captian Blood and the Sea Hawk?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Two-disc DVD of Adventures of Robin Hood is fantastic. The only problem I have is that now i have the sudden urge to watch Captain Blood and the Sea Hawk. In some ways I actually like Captian Blood more than Robin Hood. Any word from Warners on when these two Errol Flynn classics will be released?
Old 10-01-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sea Hawk was Curtiz too, right? If these classic sets are successful, I'm sure they have a "Classic DVD releas" contingency plan that they'll activate.
Old 10-01-03, 12:26 PM

wow, that was fast i just posted that thread two minutes ago. anyway, thanks for the response. I'm hoping that these releases from Warners are just the beginning. With Robin Hood released already and Mark of Zorro coming from FOX next week I keep hoping for more. Aside from Captain Blood and the Sea Hawk, I doubt i'm the only one who would want a restored DVD edition of The Scarlet Pimpernel and Pimpernel Smith.
Old 10-01-03, 01:05 PM
Rest in Peace

Too bad we are not hearing news about 1944 "Laura", sure I like Swashbuckling movies, I own DVD "The Crimson Pirate" 1952 and "Swashbucklers" with Robert Shaw. I have "Light at the Edge of the World" with Yul Brynner, so bring on Captain Blood.

P.S. While your at it bring on "The Bermuda Depths" with lovely Connie Sellica debuting and Carl Weathers (Rocky) 1978 from Rankin & Bass.
About siren that is seen by pirates and persons about to drown. Connie plays Jenny Haniver who made a pact with the devil to stay young and her eyes 'glow' green in the dark to carl Weathers character that drowns
from giant sea turtle with wire wrapped around him and a spear in the turtles back.
Old 10-01-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If the sales of the Warner Legends are as good or better than the suits projected then it will make future "classic" releases all the more likely. So if you want more classics get out there and buy, buy, buy!
Old 10-01-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I would love to see Captain Blood and The Seahawk get the same treatment!

p.s. I did buy buy buy Robin Hood
Old 10-01-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
While I have heard nothing about the Sea Hawk and Captain Blood, 2004 will be a big release year for films from the 30's and 40's controlled by Warner Bros. Rumor has it that all their
Best Picture winners not already released such as the Great Ziegfeld, Mrs Miniver, Around The World in 80 Days, etc. will be released.

"Objective Burma" is the only other Flynn film currently out that I want to purchase

Four additional Bogart film are coming in November. "They Drive By Night"," High Sierra"," To Have and Have Not", and "Dark Passage". All are single disks and have a $19.99 list price.

Also the AOL/Turner Classic Movie contest winners will be released starting in January. These include Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde ( both Fredric March and Spencer Tracy versions on one disk for $19.99 list price) and The Postman Always Knocks Twice ( Lana Turner version), and Where the Boys Are ( how did that win?) . So 2004 promises to be a good and expensive year for fans of older films.

Last edited by Classic Films; 10-02-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-01-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mewmartigan
I would love to see Captain Blood and The Seahawk get the same treatment!
p.s. I did buy buy buy Robin Hood
Ditto!!!! By the by, I would purchase the two aforementioned Errol Flynn classics in a heartbeat, but I'm not going to buy
The Prince and the Pauper or The Master of Ballentrae (two minor titles, IMHO) just in hopes that their higher sales
will convince WB to release other Flynn titles. (Hopefully, the same people won't be in charge when the Astaire-Rogers RKO musicals are finally released on DVD or we'll might be forced to buy The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle if we want to get Top Hat,
Shall We Dance and Swing Time.)

Last edited by RevKarl; 10-01-03 at 10:01 PM.