Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

So NOW does everyone understand Scarface's "hip-hop" influence...?

So NOW does everyone understand Scarface's "hip-hop" influence...?

 
Old 10-02-03, 04:24 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,791
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also, mzupeman, you're from NY, where in NY might I ask? That might answer some questions that I have.
Dabaomb is offline  
Old 10-02-03, 05:30 PM
  #127  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not like it matters where I'm from, not like it matters. But the point of my posts were aimed towards the mainstream rap and hip/hop idiots who are involved in all of that crap, and simply that this kind of behavior is more prominent in rap and hip hop than in any other genre of music. All of these mainstream artists are the ones who are in deep shit all the time with this kind of crap, and props to you for liking Jurassic 5. They are ****ing awesome. I even was lucky enough to see them live this summer, and they put on a great show. As I've said, time and time again, i'm not generalizing or saying that it's everybody. But I am saying that the rappers who are freaking insanely rich and famous and on TV all the time, are the same guys who are getting mixed up with all this bad crap simply because they have the money, they're famous, and on TV, and figure they can do whatever they want. If i haven't mentioned that it was 'mainstream' in either of my previous posts, then I meant to. I think I did, although Im sure as hell not going to go back and read everything I wrote, lmao. I got pulled into a huge debate over generalizing just because not really just you, but other people as well, were not giving out names but constantly were saying such things as 'dont generalize' and blah blah blah. When clearly I know there's plenty of exceptions to the rule. Although a real hip hop fan like yourself doesn't like that garbage on TV, which is great, my point was solely that the things I were talking about, do exist and mainly in the rap and hip hop genres, more than any other genre of music. It's the mainstream artists in these categories that really are giving great groups for example, such as Jurassic 5, thrown into that blend of generalization, if in fact anybody in this thread was generalizing, such as that kid who said 'if all rap music went away my life would be better'. So hopefully this clears things up.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 10-02-03, 05:32 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,791
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mzupeman2
It's not like it matters where I'm from, not like it matters. But the point of my posts were aimed towards the mainstream rap and hip/hop idiots who are involved in all of that crap, and simply that this kind of behavior is more prominent in rap and hip hop than in any other genre of music. All of these mainstream artists are the ones who are in deep shit all the time with this kind of crap, and props to you for liking Jurassic 5. They are ****ing awesome. I even was lucky enough to see them live this summer, and they put on a great show. As I've said, time and time again, i'm not generalizing or saying that it's everybody. But I am saying that the rappers who are freaking insanely rich and famous and on TV all the time, are the same guys who are getting mixed up with all this bad crap simply because they have the money, they're famous, and on TV, and figure they can do whatever they want. If i haven't mentioned that it was 'mainstream' in either of my previous posts, then I meant to. I think I did, although Im sure as hell not going to go back and read everything I wrote, lmao. I got pulled into a huge debate over generalizing just because not really just you, but other people as well, were not giving out names but constantly were saying such things as 'dont generalize' and blah blah blah. When clearly I know there's plenty of exceptions to the rule. Although a real hip hop fan like yourself doesn't like that garbage on TV, which is great, my point was solely that the things I were talking about, do exist and mainly in the rap and hip hop genres, more than any other genre of music. It's the mainstream artists in these categories that really are giving great groups for example, such as Jurassic 5, thrown into that blend of generalization, if in fact anybody in this thread was generalizing, such as that kid who said 'if all rap music went away my life would be better'. So hopefully this clears things up.
definitely clears things up
Dabaomb is offline  
Old 10-02-03, 06:44 PM
  #129  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole thread comes down to a very simple mathematical formula.

20th Anniversary Scarface DVD
+
Def Jam presents the making of a hip hop classic feature.
=
No Purchase.
SERPICO7 is offline  
Old 10-02-03, 07:30 PM
  #130  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 925
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by demonio
I don't want to understand the hip-hop community, infact I could care less about Rap and bullshit like that in general.
Ditto. There's a lot of people that cry about us generalizing and "it's not ALL rappers" in this thread. Ok, all rappers except Young MC are jerks involved in crime. Happy?
CaseyB is offline  
Old 10-02-03, 11:33 PM
  #131  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doboamb is obviously just trying to defend Hip Hop because...well...he likes it. We can read all about the Zulu Nation but that doesn't change the fact that, IN GENERAL, rap and ghetto culture is a violent affair. This is a reality.

To deny this simply boggles the mind. One might as well say the sun isn't hot.

I'm not some silly white kid posting from some rich country club community. I live in Birmingham, Alabama and I can tell you I see poverty every day that rivals third world countries. And I can also tell you gangsta rap and street cred culture ain't helping the situation AT ALL.

Again, Daboamb can go on and on about Zulu Nation and Hip Hop being about peace, love and harmony, but really now, that's just pissin' in the wind. Zulu Nation sure as hell isn't helping West Birmingham, where the vile obsenities blaring out of every other car at full volume would make the Marquis De Sade blush.
NearysEpiphany is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 09:03 AM
  #132  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny how rap is always labeled as the problem with the ghetto, or underprivileged areas were SOME African American minorities live. The fact that there are no resources in the area never come into play, or the negative impact sprawling has had in almost every major city in America. If we banned rap all the ills that plaque minorities would go away, right? Stop being closed minded and allowing rap to be the scapegoat. What can be said is that some forums of Rap and other music can be a catalyst to some violent, or criminal behavior, then I would agree to that.

I will reiterate what I said earlier by saying that ALL FOURMS OF MUSIC HAVE SOME VIOLINET STENCH ATTACHED TO IT: Example below:

Lyrics from Nine Inch nails:

Nine Inch Nails released ďBig Man with a Gun,Ē with the following lyrics: I am a big man (yes I am) and I have a big gun; got me a big old dick and I like to have fun; held against your forehead, Iíll make you suck it, maybe Iíll put a hole in your head; you know, just for the f--k of it...Iím every inch a man, and Iíll show you somehow; me and my f--king gun; nothing can stop me now; shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot...
sol4real is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 09:32 AM
  #133  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh no, rap isn't the problem with the ghetto. Rap is what you get FROM the problems in the ghetto. That is, the mainstream rappers involved in gangs and blah blah blah.

Nine Inch Nails may sing it but they don't go out on the street and do it, like your rap stars do.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 10:02 AM
  #134  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CaseyB
Ditto. There's a lot of people that cry about us generalizing and "it's not ALL rappers" in this thread. Ok, all rappers except Young MC are jerks involved in crime. Happy?
And don't forget Will Smith. Damn sellout!
matome is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 11:11 AM
  #135  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,416
Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally posted by sol4real
I will reiterate what I said earlier by saying that ALL FOURMS OF MUSIC HAVE SOME VIOLINET STENCH ATTACHED TO IT:
I dare you to find any fourm of polka that has violinet content.

Violinet Your 24-hour Violin channel. To get it, contact your local cable company or call 1-800-I-B-ILLITERATE. And coming next month: Violinet2 and Yo! Violinet Jamz!
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 11:48 AM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all rappers are violent.

Who cares. It's a documentary on a DVD. Don't want to watch it? THEN DON'T.

Simple!
Tarantino is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 12:05 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,301
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
Not all rappers are violent.

Who cares. It's a documentary on a DVD. Don't want to watch it? THEN DON'T.

Simple!
No! I refuse to watch a movie I enjoy with a great transfer all because there's a feature that I can totally ignore.

Also, Young MC music made the kids in my neighborhood spray paint my car with all kinds of ghetto slang.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 12:13 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,150
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Also, Young MC music made the kids in my neighborhood spray paint my car with all kinds of ghetto slang.
Ha! This is the funniest thing I've heard all week!

Young MC's music MADE them do it!
The Exister is offline  
Old 10-03-03, 07:25 PM
  #139  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,013
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear there's a hidden easter egg on the dvd containing an updated version of Duck Hunt where 50 Cent is the target...
isamu is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 02:18 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,067
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was finally able to watch the documentary tonight. a friend and i finished the movie and then put in the doc...we made it about 8 minutes through and couldnt take anymore. what a waste! its really bad.

anyway, cant wait to check out the other extras.
Caliking is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 02:26 AM
  #141  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive-by shootings didn't really become big till the 1990's when rap music hit it big.
ANd by big I mean MTV played nothing but rap and did away with the hard rock music.
And don't remember reading about drives-bys during the 60's, 70's or 80's in the gehetto areas in Chicago like I did during the 90's and today.
wm lopez is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 04:36 AM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 23,225
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[ogre]
NEEEEERDS!!!
[/ogre]
PixyJunket is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 07:47 AM
  #143  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by wm lopez
Drive-by shootings didn't really become big till the 1990's when rap music hit it big.
ANd by big I mean MTV played nothing but rap and did away with the hard rock music.
And don't remember reading about drives-bys during the 60's, 70's or 80's in the gehetto areas in Chicago like I did during the 90's and today.
Yup, more factual statements to back it all up. This is all very true. It's again that whole 'gangster' image thing again creating an influence.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 10:01 AM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 20,416
Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
Drive-by shootings didn't really become big till the 1990's when rap music hit it big.


Honestly.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 10:02 AM
  #145  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 61
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Caliking I was finally able to watch the documentary tonight. a friend and i finished the movie and then put in the doc...we made it about 8 minutes through and couldnt take anymore. what a waste! its really bad.

So you made it 8 minutes into a possible 20 minute rappers documentary. You should write universal a letter demanding a partial refund. Talk about sticker shock best buy had a huge sticker on the scarface dvd's advertising only the rapper documentary.The sticker should have included the new extras, transfer and audio. Universal didn't need this stupid rapper documentary too sell the dvd. The rap community would have purchased the dvd even if it had a documentary on how scarface influences the KKK. Bottom line is who cares how this film influences any group. Next thing you know universal well release a new special edition for the Shinning and instead of an extra with Jack Nicolson the studio well deside to have Charles Manson or Son of Sam do a documemtary explaining why it influenced them.

Last edited by SERPICO7; 10-04-03 at 04:39 PM.
SERPICO7 is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 10:11 AM
  #146  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this finally has been talked to death.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 12:18 PM
  #147  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia
Posts: 1,211
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rap is a style developed to enable no-talent bums to become wealthy. Rappers cannot sing, cannot play instruments, cannot compose melodies, and cannot write lyrics sans profanity. I pity the youth who grow up with this crap. It is not music. Everytime I hear certain songs from my youth, pleasant memories are triggered and emotions are brought forth which have an uplifting effect on me. Thirty years from now, what adult is going to wax romantic about rap.
EPKJ is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 12:37 PM
  #148  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United States
Posts: 925
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by EPKJ
Rap is a style developed to enable no-talent bums to become wealthy. Rappers cannot sing, cannot play instruments, cannot compose melodies, and cannot write lyrics sans profanity. I pity the youth who grow up with this crap. It is not music. Everytime I hear certain songs from my youth, pleasant memories are triggered and emotions are brought forth which have an uplifting effect on me. Thirty years from now, what adult is going to wax romantic about rap.
Many can't compose, that's why they "sample" so often. The music you listened to triggers pleasant memories....they'll be able to fondly look back on their first car jacking.
CaseyB is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 01:38 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by EPKJ
Rap is a style developed to enable no-talent bums to become wealthy. Rappers cannot sing, cannot play instruments, cannot compose melodies, and cannot write lyrics sans profanity. I pity the youth who grow up with this crap. It is not music. Everytime I hear certain songs from my youth, pleasant memories are triggered and emotions are brought forth which have an uplifting effect on me. Thirty years from now, what adult is going to wax romantic about rap.
Look, I don't like rap very much either. But there are some rappers and/or hip hoppers out there that can actually pull it off and make it sound good instead of sounding the same as every other rap song on earth. There are artists in this genre that DO make good songs and albums and can composition well. Some rappers CAN sing, true a lot CANT play instruments, but there are plenty who compose melodies. Look at Jurassic 5 or Outkast and so on and so forth. Rap has been around for about 20 years, so it obviously has its place. You can say most mainstream artists are into bad shit like crime and drugs like I have already many times but it really pisses me off to see people generalize and say
"RAPPERS CANT SING!"
"RAPPERS CANT PLAY INSTRUMENTS!"
"THEY ARE ALL NO TALENT BUMS AND RAP IS JUST A WAY TO MAKE THEM GET RICH QUICK!"
And to generalize like that is stupid because there are clearly good compositionists and singers and rappers who can play instruments. And sure, all of those mainstream bastages on MTV all of the time are all aobut money and cant play instruments and most of the time couldn't make a good song if they didn't rip off somebody elses material. My opinions were at least not generalizing everyboyd in those genres and to be so thick headed and closed minded is so stupid. Am I standing up for rap and/or hip hop because I like it? NO! In fact I do hate a lot of it because it IS mostly just stolen material and exploited no talent bums that made connections in the right places, and now are making money being on MTV! Do I still think that a lot of mainstream rappers are stupid in the head and are involved in a good deal of crime and murder, SURE! But to see how somebody can generalize this way is just kind of sickening. There is exceptions to every rule and there IS talent out there in these genres, you just need to know where to look. There's a whole different world outside the mainstream garbage with respectable artists. It's like saying you don't like the colors yellow,orange,gree,blue, and then saying 'i dont like ANY colors at all because they all suck' when you only experienced the main colors just because they are exposed to you the most. I don't know if that anology makes sense to you or not but I know what it means, so shush

Last edited by mzupeman2; 10-04-03 at 01:42 PM.
mzupeman2 is offline  
Old 10-04-03, 01:39 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oye :P
mzupeman2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.