Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Dallas - The Early Years?

Old 09-30-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This 1986 movie goes back to the 1930s and 1950s and describes how Jock Ewing (Dale Midkiff) and Willard "Digger" Barnes (David Grant) were initially friends and oil partners and how that turned into bitter rivalry over oil land and Ellie Southworth (Moly Hagan). Jock, his brother Jason Ewing (David Wilson), and Digger are shown working the oil fields together, travelling, and wildcatting. But even though Digger had "the nose" for oil (or so he claimed), Jock and Jason had many disagreements with him over the way he did business and over his drinking. For the past 20 minutes of the movie, we see Jock dating Ellie regularly and when they decide to get married, Digger is brokenhearted. That's why, in later years, both Digger and then his son Cliff kept saying that Jock used Digger to come to his fortune and also "stole" the girl from him. As a result of the bitter rivalry, Digger tries to shoot Jock during a Southfork barbecue in 1951. J.R. is just a teenager then and Pam, Cliff, and Bobby are just a few years old. Jock is also shown visiting his first wife Amanda (Diane Franklin) who was in a mental institution, and explaining to her that they will have to have a divorce so that he can marry Ellie. The traditional Ewing dinner scenes are also part of the movie, with Ellie's father Aaron Southworth (Hoyt Axton) occupying the honorable seat at the table. In the main "Dallas" series, these scenes became one of the most important parts of an episode.

Introduced by J.R. Ewing (Larry Hagman)
Old 09-30-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're suggesting that this be released on DVD, I'm right there behind you. However, I would prefer to see season 1 of Dallas released on DVD first, or perhaps concurrently. Then swiftly release all subsequent seasons.
Old 09-30-03, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I'd much rather have complete seasons of Dallas released first...been watching repeats on SoapNet, but the quality is just not as good as DVD, and I'm sure the episodes have been edited for length.

Larry Hagman's not getting any younger...nor are the rest of the cast...let's hope they get to participate in a DVD release of Dallas for some new interviews and commentary track...I'm getting a little tired of great shows (i.e. All in the Family) being released bare bones.
Old 10-01-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes - complete seasons in order kind of like the way Friends is coming out now.