DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/320742-just-got-you-being-served-collection-series-6-10-a.html)

brtcmfn 09-29-03 07:03 AM

Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Just got over the weekend the Are you being served collection 6-10 from DeepdiscountDVD- Congrats to BBC/Warner for completing the collection for fans of the show- They did a real good job with the presentation of these discs as well as the 1st collection- The bonus disc has the 2 PBS specials:
Best of AYBS, Celebrating Mollie Sugden, Episode of Grace and Favor and a bonus disc of the Pilot episode of Allo,Allo!- (To promote the release in January.- It's great to have the full series- Now to get the full Keeping up appearences completed :)

LiquidSky 09-29-03 07:20 AM

Cool! I should be receiving mine from Amazon some time this week.

RobCA 09-29-03 08:51 AM

Congrats! I'm jealous. :D I ordered mine from Amazon.ca - I know it'll take a lot longer to get it, but it was so much cheaper, I just had to. Hope I get it soon! :)

Rob

mythmaker18 09-29-03 02:42 PM

Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Originally posted by brtcmfn
The bonus disc has the 2 PBS specials:
Best of AYBS, Celebrating Mollie Sugden, Episode of Grace and Favor and a bonus disc of the Pilot episode of Allo,Allo!

Just out of curiosity, does the included episode of Grace and Favour have the original series title intact in the opening credits, or is it the re-titled Are You Being Served? Again! version?

I'm so hoping that when they get around to releasing G&F that they keep the original Grace and Favour series title on screen. If for no other reason, it would be a first for American audiences, and might generate a few more sales (it would convince me to dump my off-air PBS copies, for sure).

Getting them in such a way might also insure that they're using source tapes much closer to the archival master. If it says AYBS? Again!, I'd be highly suspicious that BBC Worldwide sent them old PBS syndication tapes, which as many people know, have varying quality (picture-wise).

Instead of the 'Allo 'Allo pilot (because we all know the release is forthcoming), I would've prefered something a bit rarer, like the pilot to Come Back Mrs. Noah, which starred Ms. Sugden, and is far less likely to get a release.

Still, I do see the logic of putting an 'Allo 'Allo on there, to try to cross-sell to those AYBS? fans who may not have seen AA!

brtcmfn 09-29-03 07:20 PM

Re: Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mythmaker18
[B]Just out of curiosity, does the included episode of Grace and Favour have the original series title intact in the opening credits, or is it the re-titled Are You Being Served? Again! version?

Yes- The episode has the title Grace and Favour at the opening credits.

RobCA 10-15-03 06:21 PM

Re: Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Originally posted by mythmaker18
I'm so hoping that when they get around to releasing G&F ...
I sent an e-mail to BBCAmericaShop.com, and they said it's "tentatively being planned for release". :up: I never liked the show as much as AYBS in its prime (or even AYBS after its prime) ;) but it had a certain charm. Plus, we finally got to meet the infamous Mr. Slocombe! With only 2 six-episode seasons, it would make a nice, relatively inexpensive 2-disc set. BTW, according to interviews on each of the two AYBS boxed sets, John Inman prefers the American title, "Are You Being Served? Again!" over "Grace and Favour". I agree, and I am unanimous in this. ;)

Rob

mythmaker18 10-16-03 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Originally posted by RobCA
I sent an e-mail to BBCAmericaShop.com, and they said it's "tentatively being planned for release"
Great news!

never liked the show as much as AYBS in its prime (or even AYBS after its prime) ;) but it had a certain charm.
In some ways, I find G&F better than the series that spawned it. AYBS? got a bit "tired" after Arthur Brough's character left, and really, this show stayed a bit past its welcome. Although our characters had aged quite a bit, I found the change in setting refreshing, especially the fact they got to go on location, plus the additions of Fleur Bennett and (especially) Billy Burden were truly inspired and provided for some of the show's best bits. A pity the BBC didn't commission a third series, despite getting decent ratings (presumably due to their feeling that "rural" shows weren't a good idea, similar to what the Ameircan networks did in the early '70s).

With only 2 six-episode seasons, it would make a nice, relatively inexpensive 2-disc set.

Yes, but I do hope they at least include some bloopers/outtakes as extras. I have seen several G&F bloopers on Australian cable (UK-TV runs bloopers between programmes sometimes), so I know they're out there. As it's a more recent show, alternate takes/deleted scenes might still exist, too.

BTW, according to interviews on each of the two AYBS boxed sets, John Inman prefers the American title, "Are You Being Served? Again!" over "Grace and Favour". I agree, and I am unanimous in this. ;)
On that, I will have to respectfully disagree. I'm all for having things in their original presentation. The AYBS? Again! title was soley produced to syndicate the show in America. It's a bit like re-titling Spooks as MI-5 or Randall and Hopkirk: Deceased as My Partner the Ghost: I don't want some suit out there second-guessing the people who created the show. I guess they think we Americans aren't intelligent enough to "get" a show with titles like those. I'd rather make up my own mind.

Besides, this show has never been shown in America in its original G&F presentation, so to have it the way it was originally shown on British TV is a major selling point to me. Otherwise, I'll just stick with my off-air PBS recordings of the "syndicated" version.

RobCA 10-16-03 10:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Originally posted by mythmaker18
I do hope they at least include some bloopers/outtakes as extras. I have seen several G&F bloopers on Australian cable (UK-TV runs bloopers between programmes sometimes), so I know they're out there. As it's a more recent show, alternate takes/deleted scenes might still exist, too.
I didn't know that. I'd love to see those included as extras! One extra I'd love to see (but probably never will) :( is the pilot for the American remake of AYBS, with John Hillerman as Captain Peacock, and Charlotte Rae as Mrs. Slocombe.

Rob

edited to add: Hey, I've gone platinum! :eek: This was my 3000th post.

mythmaker18 10-17-03 09:07 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just got Are you being served- collection (Series 6-10) :)

Originally posted by RobCA
One extra I'd love to see (but probably never will) :( is the pilot for the American remake of AYBS, with John Hillerman as Captain Peacock, and Charlotte Rae as Mrs. Slocombe.
Yeah, I'd like to finally see "Beane's of Boston" as well as some of the Australian "AYBS" remake (with only John Inman from the original cast), but I'm guessing there are probably rights issues that would be difficult to iron out for all of those.

When I sent Warner's an e-mail about the show awhile back via their BBC America store, I mentioned the fact that bloopers/outtakes existed and had been shown at least on Australian television, so hopefully, they'll at least know about them.

Rammsteinfan 10-17-03 10:09 PM

I watched the ALLO ALLO disc last night and it was great! A real funny show... I wonder how the rest of them will be.