Community
Search

Scarface box set availability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 01:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dvdzer
I went looking for the box set yesterday in Manhattan NY. Best Buys, Circuit City, Tower Records, and even Virgin Megastore. All were sold out. Anyone in NYC know if J&R has any left and their price? How about that downtown guy? Or any other stores? Tia
J&R had box loads the day it came out. All sold out within a few hours.
Old 10-05-03, 02:11 PM

i found a big stack of copies of the box set at HMV in Toronto today. it's like...$74 plus tax now.
Old 10-05-03, 03:44 PM
Banned

Picked up the last one at my Target today for $59.

I want to order it also off DDD and hope if they get any more in, I can take the Target one back for the $20 difference.

What are the chances of DDD getting any more of these? The guy at Best Buy today told me they were DEFINATELY not getting any more as no more were being made. I know that doesn't make it so, but that just what I heard.

What would you do?
Old 10-05-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bust

What would you do?
I would forget about it at once....and go buy more dvds. speaking for myself...I just want the damn dvd and if I have it....wont start sweating over how I can again get it...only this time cheaper. then take my first box back and...... my time in that would be worth way more than 20 bucks.
Old 10-05-03, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I would forget about it at once....and go buy more dvds. speaking for myself...I just want the damn dvd and if I have it....wont start sweating over how I can again get it...only this time cheaper. then take my first box back and...... my time in that would be worth way more than 20 bucks.
I'm happy I can be a source of amusement to you. I spent $60 on a set that is advertised for $40 somewhere else. Maybe $20 isn't a lot to you, but it's another movie to me, and if someone with more experience than myself can advise me on my chances of getting one of the $40 one, I don't see anything too funny about that.

I also don't see how my time is coming into play here. I'm not gaining or losing any time from either scenario. Are you just trying to be an ass hole?

Last edited by Bust; 10-05-03 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-05-03, 05:31 PM

I also don't see how my time is coming into play here. I'm not gaining or losing any time from either scenario. Are you just trying to be an ass hole?
sorry you took it that way and blew up. you asked...WHAT WOULD YOU DO???? me....not you....ME. not what I thought YOU should do. dont want to know what I would do....DONT ASK.
Old 10-05-03, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gutwrencher
sorry you took it that way and blew up.
You can rest assured that I haven't "blown up".
Old 10-05-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As mentioned by me and others previously, Target seems to have some stock left on the gift set. I've seen it twice today and once yesterday at three different locations. 59.95 is the everday price.
Old 10-05-03, 07:18 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bust, since you haven't blown up, then let's just refrain from basically calling people *******s. I know you're upset about not saving $20, but he was just saying what he would do. Not necessarily the most helpful or useful response, but also not a reason to call him an *******.
Old 10-05-03, 07:38 PM
Rest in Peace

I got my set and it's still wrapped for I don't care about this one, I am use to one I have which isa 2.35:1 anamorphic.
Old 10-05-03, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Static Cling
Bust, since you haven't blown up, then let's just refrain from basically calling people *******s. I know you're upset about not saving $20, but he was just saying what he would do. Not necessarily the most helpful or useful response, but also not a reason to call him an *******.
Check again, I never called him an ass hole. Just asked if he was trying to be one. There is a difference. If he could have provided some other reason he was laughing at me, I would have agreed that he was not trying to be one. No other reason has yet been provided, so everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. I will keep mine to myself.
Old 10-05-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

both walmart and target have it... seemed like it was everywhere I went last time i went shopping..

j
Old 10-05-03, 08:51 PM

There is a difference.
you mean like when there is a difference between asking someone what they would do vs. what they think you should do? fyi...I was not even trying to be the colorful word you slapped on me. it's what I felt....how I approach things. it's what I would have done....like you asked. honesty may be brutal in my posts....take whatever you want from it. just because I add a laughing head....does not mean you are being laughed at.

I say lets forget it and get back on topic before a mod grows tired of bicker....and shuts down a useful thread.

peace,
Gut
Old 10-05-03, 10:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bust & Gut, let's get back on topic, K?
Old 10-06-03, 08:02 AM

The guy at Best Buy today told me they were DEFINATELY not getting any more as no more were being made. I know that doesn't make it so, but that just what I heard.
That's what my Best Buy guy said as well, actually at both the BB's near me. Luckily I was able to snag the last one they had at FYE on the day it was released. That $20 MIR didn't hurt either, course, I had to ask them for the rebate form.
Old 10-06-03, 08:15 AM

Yes.... lets not Bust a Gut about this.

Sorry....couldn't help myself
Old 10-06-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by crazypetedotcom
That's what my Best Buy guy said as well, actually at both the BB's near me. Luckily I was able to snag the last one they had at FYE on the day it was released. That $20 MIR didn't hurt either, course, I had to ask them for the rebate form.
still doubt it till it's in a quote from a universal worker. Do you honestly think that Universal wont crack out more of these for the holiday season?
Old 10-06-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
There are a lot of rumors about this being a limited edition set (I know that is what the FYE people were telling the guy in front of me while trying to convince him to buy the set instead of the Full Screen copy he had--they claimed 10,000) but I think it's all just speculation.

Either way, I've got my copy, and only $30 after rebate, so no worries.
Old 10-06-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

does the FYE $20 rebate force you to cut up the deluxe packaging at all?
Old 10-06-03, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by darmok
does the FYE $20 rebate force you to cut up the deluxe packaging at all?
Nope, the UPC code is on the back insert thing that explains what the box set includes. It's not even stuck on the box itself at all, either, so there's none of that sticky, rubbery residue left over either. Pretty sweet.
Old 10-06-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's great to hear. a friend of mine was kind enough to pick this up for me, but i haven't been able to see it in person just yet. good to hear there won't be a butcher job involved. thanks!
Old 10-07-03, 05:19 PM

Deepdiscountdvd.com has Nov. 18 listed as the release date for the deluxe edition. I don't what to make of it, but it looks like there are still plenty of copies to go around. All the sites I checked are still taking orders for it.
Old 10-07-03, 06:26 PM

Hey guys, don't listen to the limited (release) gimmick crap...they said the same thing about Spider-Man and the Reservoir Dog "Mr. Brown" and they're everywhere...

The last thing you want to do is buy up a bunch of these and have to eat that cost, these companies are in the business of making money and you can't make money by discontinuing "HOT" product. I got mine from Best Buy and they are currently out, but trust me- in the next few weeks there will be plenty again!

How many people bought up those Prince Of Darkness DVDs off ebay for $50 a pop? I checked ebay when the re-release was announced and the sellers couldn't give them away. So my advice is to just relax.
Old 10-07-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it doesn't say limited edition (and the number made) in the packaging chances are they will just keep pressing up more until demand subsides. I can't believe some people are paying $125 for this on ebay.
Old 10-07-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I stopped listening to Universal's claim of "limited" with E.T.

"The Spielberg troops will break into stores and burn every last copy after the stroke of midnight on new years day!"

only to find in may stores stacked with them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.