Daredevil R-rated cut. Any news?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know i heard through the grape vine and even in an interview with Mark Stephen Johnson, that he is prepping his R-rated cut of Daredevil for release on DVD at some point. I haven't heard anything about it lately. Does anyone have any information?
Old 09-22-03, 08:30 PM

Daredevil sucked and Mark Johnson is a shitty director.

Thread crapping Sucks

GP

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 09-22-03 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a feeling that the "cool new member" won't be around much longer.

I haven't heard any news.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I hope you brought a magazine on your way to the can since that's one huge crap you took.

Anyway, i don't believe there's been any new word the last few months.

Originally posted by Lovitz
Lovitz...read this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=235044

You might just learn something new...
Old 09-22-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lovitz
bye bye

& regarding the Director's Cut, i would really love to own the DC of DareDevil
the current edition is ok, but i'm holding for the DC
Old 09-22-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back on topic...

Johnson's finished his director's cut. He added more action and violence, a couple extra scenes, and deleted ones he was pressured to add (bye-bye crappy fireplace love scene!). He needs to have it scored and it will, most likely, be released in time for the Elektra movie in 2005. This is as far as he knows, and as he'll remind you, it's all up in the air.

Next up, they've got him writing a draft(for starters) for Ghost Rider.

Edit: Wow Black, I just noticed your sig. I'm touched.
Old 09-22-03, 09:25 PM

In the future re-release thread there is something about an interview with Mark Johnson about the Daredevil Directors cut. I remember reading in Wizard magazine somewhere to about it being really violent, and there being an eventual direectors cut dvd. Patience my young Jedi. I waited a full year and a half or something for the special edition of Black Hawk Down.

Daredevil was an awsome movie, and I say this having read Daredevil since the early eighties with the beginnig of the Frank Miller run. If it's a movie only special edition, I'd definately keep my current edition.

Oh yeah, Lovitz, if you don't like something, keep it to yourself.
Old 09-22-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I wont thread crap as bad as the cool new member, I'll turn it into a conversational piece. Now I would have to ask, what will be in this R-rated cut that would make it worth an R rating? I personally thought the ol' DD killing was out of character in itself. if it includes a few more seconds of a subway "hit" then I would really have to ask why not just settle with the one out there right now since us dvdtalkers all hate film companies that double dip like this would be.

I would also like to know what you guys are expecting from a Directors cut of this? Jennifer nude scene? more gore from a super hero who scolds the punisher when ever he takes a life? I'm a little confused, to say the least, at why the great deal of concern for a directors cut for a film like this?

now that wasn't a thread crap was it? Just trying to make a conversation about this all.
Old 09-22-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No Jack, you were expressing your opinion and standpoint in an honest and polite manner. I applaud you and your manner of posting.

Me? I want more Bullseye.
Old 09-22-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Or how about more Electra. Naked. Ohhhh yeah!
Old 09-22-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Me? I want more Bullseye.
yup! it seems funy to see good actor like Colin to do just that much screen time... there's gotta be something more than that

i'm not expecting Jenny's nude scene or anything, but more n the small details on other characters that seems "not enough" info on the screen...

i'm glad you're cool with me using your reply as my new sign
Old 09-22-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
As for why it would be nice to have a director's cut... from all the previous threads and from the commentary on the current dvd, what i want to see more of is the last fight between Elektra, Daredevil, and Bulleseye extended. Now, a few people are going to say "more blood or gore is not a good thing" but i think in this case, as part of the climax of the movie, it could have really built up some more steam
Old 09-22-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
so more blood makes more steam? I thought heat did that to water?

My main concern about Directors cuts are that the words get over used and lose their meaning. I recall when it was a matter of a studio totally opposing the views of the directors and changing the film to fit an audiance that it wasn't ment to. say Blade runner directors cut with blank ending to non-directors cut version with happy ending.

In this case, it's a pretty big hollywood film where the studio cranked it out and commissioned the director to get the job done the way they wanted it to be made. since they wanted to market it to the comic collectors audiance and kids they pre-imagened it with a certain rating. I'm sure there is plenty of room for arguement, but to me it seems like the studio had final say from the get go.
Old 09-23-03, 12:45 AM

this is just speculation but i think that most people think this film has potential and they think that maybe the DC will bring it to its full potential. At least that is what I think. However I think the improvements will be minimal. If there is a good response from it when it is released I'll definately check it out.
Old 09-23-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I have nothing to say since Jack seems to be hyper-sensically recieving my thoughts on this subject...

A Director's Cut, in this instance, would just be another marketing tool..
Old 09-23-03, 01:37 AM
Banned

I don't really know what would be added to Daredevil that would significantly change the viewing experience. Unless the Director's Cut shows Daredevil killing Kingpin, I can't see why there should be one. I agree that this term is abused at present. Most modern director's cuts are simply disguised double dipping. The current release of Daredevil is a fully loaded two disc special edition. How would this really be improved by a director's cut? Having said all that, I would probably be stupid enough to buy it as I am a comics fan of many decades.
Old 09-23-03, 07:50 AM
SvenL

Supposedly the Director's Cut will eliminate most of the plot holes - it's explained why the police is coming for The Kingpin in the end, there's more coherence to the court scenes and the appearing/disappearing scars on Daredevils back will be solved (because the entire sex scene where we see his back without scars will be removed).
Originally I didn't like the movie but after hearing the audio commenatry I'm looking forward to the new cut - it really sounded like the director actually shot a good movie which was then messed up by the producers.

Old 09-23-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it will improve the movie much at all. Its the same pheonemena of "Shatner can save Star Trek V with his director's cut!" No he can't. You can't save poop by adding more poop.
Old 09-23-03, 09:15 AM
SvenL

If you hate the movie then no amount of new scenes will save it for you.
But for people like me, who liked a lot about the movie but were annoyed by the plot holes, the new cut will probably be able to turn it into a good movie.

Old 09-23-03, 12:43 PM

27 minutes of COLLIO sub plot for starters and he apparently says Mo Fo a lot, so theres some swear words in it now.
Old 09-23-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I dunno. it just doesn't seem like a few more curse words would really be worth the whole double dipping of this.
Old 09-23-03, 01:51 PM
SvenL

It's not a few cursewords.
There's an entire subplot revolving around a murdered prostitute that leads to the police coming for the Kingpin in the end.
There's an entire new scene where Daredevil instead of having sex with Elektra leaves her and and saves some kid from his abusive father.
All the fights will be extended.
There's a new scene in which Kingpin kills two of his henchmen because they failed some mission.
There's even a scene involving Karen Page who was a really big character in the comics and will probably become an important character in the sequels (if there are any).

Old 09-23-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Heck, I liked the movie and bought it, but I'm not double-dipping again for some stupid director's cut they should've put out in the first place. That's what rentals are for.
Old 09-23-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
Or how about more Electra. Naked. Ohhhh yeah!
that's what i am hoping!! :groucho:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.