Reload this Page >

LOL @ Scarface Bootleggers & R1 Horders

Old 09-19-03, 10:48 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over 400 ebay auctions for scarface trying to dump their inventory.

I honestly hope they are left with very expensive coasters.
Old 09-20-03, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but I bet alot of those bootlegs will still sell just because people don't know any better. I probably should have sold my R1 legit copy when it was still going for big bucks but I figured people would just think it was a boot since eBay was flooded with them and I wouldn't get much for it. Oh well.
Old 09-20-03, 07:07 AM

i'm glad i sold mine a long time ago!
Old 09-20-03, 07:46 AM

I never understood why people would stock up on a popular movie like Scarface. Obviously consumers will demand it, and they'll put it back in production. DVDs are made to make money for the studios, not for people selling rare DVDs.
Old 09-20-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Furio
I never understood why people would stock up on a popular movie like Scarface. Obviously consumers will demand it, and they'll put it back in production. DVDs are made to make money for the studios, not for people selling rare DVDs.
Damn, you're right. Anyone want to take a crate of Salo DVD's off my hands?
Old 09-20-03, 03:18 PM
Banned

I think the original will become a collector's item even though the new one is much better quality.
Old 09-20-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ctyler
I think the original will become a collector's item even though the new one is much better quality.
I very highly doubt it. Not only does the new anniversary edition have everything included from the special features and then some more. It would be beyond anyone's comprehension why someone would want a non anamorphic transfer with a dolby 2.0 track over an anomorphic transfer and DTS 5.1
Old 09-20-03, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by DeputyDave
Damn, you're right. Anyone want to take a crate of Salo DVD's off my hands?
Originally posted by DeputyDave
Furio said popular movie. Salo will never be a "popular movie". It may be a collectible DVD but it isn't & never will be a popular movie.
Old 09-20-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
For the record, if you are going to try to make a business out of this by hording up dvd's and saving them till they are OOP.. you have better chances playing the market. it's a wiser investment in the long run as well as in 90% of all dvd sells, it's either a moran buying it and will give you grief later or you will just about break even. Popular titles will get reissued and making this into a collecting market like say Comics or Toys or whatever else will only create more of a demand for studio's to crank out a few different versions of said film just because they know folks will go for the Special edition collectors pack even more so then the regular just because they feel that the buyer will want to spend more for that "rare" item..
Old 09-21-03, 12:10 AM

some people on ebay are dumb and will buy anything you sell on there.
Old 09-21-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally posted by vice86
some people on ebay are dumb and will buy anything you sell on there.
That fact (but I would change "some" to "alot") has made me some money over the past several years. If you aren't an educated consumer and overpay for something, then you only have yourself to blame.
Old 09-21-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm glad to see the bootleggers get stuck with their inventory. I sold my original copy several months ago for $70, and I probably would've gotten more if it wasn't for the bootleggers.
Old 09-21-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dude you are laughing but these bootleggers made a fortune on the movie. so they are probably laughing at you.
Old 09-21-03, 10:08 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chanster
Dude you are laughing but these bootleggers made a fortune on the movie. so they are probably laughing at you.
They could laugh at me all they want. I don't buy bootlegs. Nor would I pay more than retail on a film that is OOP.

Smart bootleggers would have depleted their inventory by now but you know what, as others have mentioned, there are very ignorant buyers out there that will still buy their wares with out checking to see if it's available legitimately.

Unfortunately, the $2 it's costing them to dup, it will still be profitable for them.
Old 09-21-03, 10:10 AM
Banned

I saw one end at $2.xx and another one selling at 8.xx didn't sell.

HAAAAHAAAAA
Old 09-21-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would be beyond anyone's comprehension why someone would want a non anamorphic transfer with a dolby 2.0 track over an anomorphic transfer and DTS 5.1
But, to some people or collectors, it was the *first* or original release - so this alone is of value to them - quality is of no concern. (For me, I could care less. I just want the version with the best audio/video.)
Old 09-21-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DavidH
But, to some people or collectors, it was the *first* or original release - so this alone is of value to them - quality is of no concern. (For me, I could care less. I just want the version with the best audio/video.)
Yeah I also want the version with the best A/V but I'm kinda glad I never sold my original dvd. Even though I will probably never watch it again once I have the new one it still holds a nostalgic value for me since it's one of my favorite movies.
Old 09-22-03, 03:27 AM

Jackskeleton says "...a MORAN...", that is priceless. Back on topic, I was able to unload meaning of life for 15 bucks pretty much up until release date.
Old 09-22-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvdguy
Salo will never be a "popular movie". It may be a collectible DVD but it isn't & never will be a popular movie.
Thatís probably because itís a piece of crap (which is ironic)