Community
Search

Planes Trains and Automobiles T.V. version

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planes Trains and Automobiles T.V. version

I'm watching this movie on television right now even though I own the DVD and in the beginning when Del and Neil are in the airplane there's a whole scene I never saw before. I understand when movies are shown on Television that some scenes are cut and the time needs to be filled with new scenes but why aren't the missing scenes on the DVD?

Here's details from IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093748/alternateversions :
In a television version, there is added footage during the New York- Chicago/Wichita flight where Del and Neal try to eat in flight.

Although it's not included in the theatrical or the network cuts, a shot of Del Griffith brushing his teeth was included on ads for the network version.

Some network TV versions include an alternate version of the scene where Neil confronts the car rental lady. This version (which has presumably been reshot) removes all the four-letter words from the scene.

TV version show a scene during the first place ride where they order dinner. Del talks about which he meals he orders according to what airline he's flying. Neal's dinner is lasagna, which due to various delays, has been reheated several times. Unsatisfied, Neal gives the lasagna and the rest of his food, to Del, who shares it with the old man next to Neal. Neal keeps the brownie with his meal, but a lady in front of them throws her hair back, disguting Neal, so he gives the brownie to Del, who again shares it with the old guy giving him "the bigger half."

It's a shame how John Hughes' films are not well represented on dvd. I'd gladly pay for a new release of PT&A with the T.V. footage added in.
Old 09-14-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd gladly pay for a new release of Sixteen Candles and Breakfast Club with the TV (and other) deleted footage. It's just plain disappointing when scenes from the TV versions aren't included. Universal also didn't include the TV scenes from Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison. And for every scene that was added to the TV version, there's probably three that weren't. Breakfast Club has about an hour of footage that was cut.

PT&A, Bueller, Uncle Buck, Sixteen Candles don't even have their trailers on the DVDs.
Old 09-14-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not opposed to such scenes being included as extras, but adding cut scenes just because they exist is akin to arguing for open matte transfers under the "more is better" assumption.

Very often such scenes are weak to begin with, and slow down the pace of the film. That's why they were cut by the director to begin with.
Old 09-14-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
I'm not opposed to such scenes being included as extras, but adding cut scenes just because they exist is akin to arguing for open matte transfers under the "more is better" assumption.

Very often such scenes are weak to begin with, and slow down the pace of the film. That's why they were cut by the director to begin with.
Just to clarify, I don't want them to add them to the cut of the film, at all. Simply put them in a Deleted Scenes section.
Old 09-14-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LBPound
I don't want them to add them to the cut of the film, at all. Simply put them in a Deleted Scenes section.
Yeah, would be nice to have them as Del. Scenes