Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Friday The 13th Boxset

Friday The 13th Boxset

Old 09-21-03, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
I'm more aware of the situation because I've personally interviewed many of the parties named above and a slew of others from the Friday the 13th series, and the info I got from them was quite enlightening. (and very different then the info printed in Fango and other fluffy fan publications).
The uncut footage that everyone thinks is lying around in a vault isn't so simple to locate, or it would have been done. I spoke with director Tom McLoughlin last week or so at great length about Jason Lives (and Freddy vs Jason...a film he passed on several times, and had been offered the job for quite a while), and the footage he and his editor cut for MPAA purposes was labeled 'trims' and stored. He hasn't seen it since, but also was unaware of it's status, as was Martin Blythe who I spoke to just the other day regarding involvement in the box set, and securing talent for commentaries.
Don't believe everything you read, as the uncut footage for the New Blood looks like ass. This is the same copy of the footage Kane Hodder has and has made it's way around the bootleg cirlces for years. it's so bad it could never be used in a proper release.

Oh well, what do I know right?

Cheers,
Erik

Well it looks like no one has any answers, and paramount probably has to dig through mountains of stuff before they can recover anything. That's cool that you have contact with F13 related people, but until you give us something solid to work with, we're all left speculating just like you and even the people who made the movies. I still say there is no reason Paramount doesn't have a good chunk of stuff available to use. Good luck and I hope you are of some help to this project!
Old 09-21-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sincerely hope Paramount can produce something that makes the fans (like me) truly happy. I don't think there is really anyhting Paramount can do that will make everyone happy, and that's just life. Hell, I'd love cast/crew commentaries, uncut prints and 5.1 remixes for all 8 films but...I seriously doubt that can happen for a number of reasons, namely budget. As much as knuckleheads like me love the films and would pay top dollar for all that, we're still considered a small niche in Paramount's eyes, and I can almost guarantee the bank will not be broken on this set. BUT...they are truly trying, and that's the best thing I can say at this point.

By the way...did you know that Tom McLoughlin keeps the tombstone from Jason Lives (a real marble tombstone, no cheap prop) in his back yard? What a cool guy

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-21-03, 01:05 AM

here's what I'm hoping it will look something like:

On each disc:
-Original uncut film
-All trailers and TV spots (I used to stay up all night taping these off tv when a new one was out)
-Poster and ad gallery
-Deleted scenes when available

Besides that for each movie...

Part 1:
-As extras, if they even exist anymore, the death scenes for the first female at the beginning, and the death scene for Brenda (she was beaten with a shovel but Cunningham had gotten criticism for female brutality in his last film and cut this- I'm not 100% sure if it was even filmed).
-Documentary on the making-of, the history of the series, etc.
-Commentary with lead Adrienne King, Cunningham, etc.
Part 2:
-Commentary with lead Amy Steel, director Steve Minor if he's willing, etc.
Part 3:
-as an extra the alternate ending
-Commentary... well this will be a tough one... with lead Dana Kimmell if she's willing and director Steve Minor if he's willing, etc.
Part 4
-as extras the deleted scenes that made it to TV and any others, the bizzare scene of Mrs Jarvis rising out of a bathtub that Joseph Zito has mentioned.
-Commentary by Joe Zito and Tom Savini!! Also cast members Kimberly Beck and Corey Feldman. Maybe even Crispin Glover would be willing??
Part 5
-Commentary by whoever (lol)
Part 6
-as an extra, cut ending with Jason's father, etc.
-Commentary by director and stars.
Part 7
-maybe a featurette on this one, since it's the "cult following" of the series (not going to be greedy and say they should all have one)
-Commentary by director Buelcher, star Lar Park Lincoln, Kane Hodder, and for camp value, actress Susan Jennifer Sullivan ("Melissa").
Part 8
-Commentary by director/writer Rob Hedden, Kane Hodder, etc.
Old 09-21-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't take this as being critical, as they are great ideas, I'll ust shed some light onto a few things I have found out regarding this topic:

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
Part 1:
-As extras, if they even exist anymore, the death scenes for the first female at the beginning, and the death scene for Brenda (she was beaten with a shovel but Cunningham had gotten criticism for female brutality in his last film and cut this- I'm not 100% sure if it was even filmed).
-Documentary on the making-of, the history of the series, etc.
-Commentary with lead Adrienne King, Cunningham, etc.

There is no other footage of Brenda's death, or Harry Crosby (Bill) as erroneously claimed by some online. The current R3 disc is THE definitive uncut version of the film. (According to Sean Cunningham, Bill Freda and Victor Miller). The special features you mentioned are already in the can for the R3 disc, and the upcoming R2 disc has a commentary track along with the same docu as the R2 disc, but not sure if those extras will make there way to the R1 re-release (but that would be the most logical thing to do)

Part 2:
-Commentary with lead Amy Steel, director Steve Minor if he's willing, etc.

Unfortunetly Steve Miner is being less then cooperative with the rereleases, and although he hasn't flatly said 'no', he is very cold to the idea of coming aboard as of right now.

Part 3:
-Commentary... well this will be a tough one... with lead Dana Kimmell if she's willing and director Steve Minor if he's willing, etc.

Dana Kimmell's beheading was filmed. although I have no clue about the staus of the footage. Larry Zerner (Shelly) did tell me he'd happily do a commentary track, and has actually been one of the few folks from the films over the years keeping up with everyone and not blowing off his part in the series. Nice guy, too.

Part 4
-as extras the deleted scenes that made it to TV and any others, the bizzare scene of Mrs Jarvis rising out of a bathtub that Joseph Zito has mentioned.
-Commentary by Joe Zito and Tom Savini!! Also cast members Kimberly Beck and Corey Feldman. Maybe even Crispin Glover would be willing??

The footage of Joan Freeman is from the deleted footage that is part of the film that airs for tv broadcasts, and is being sold falsey on auction sites as 'uncut' footage, when in fact Zito cut the fotage for a reason: he didn't like it. Savini's obviously a fan fave and has done many commentary tracks, so that would be a no-brainer to me.

Part 5
-Commentary by whoever (lol)

Actor Shavar Ros (Reggie) is a very nice guy, and told me he'd be involved in the DVD if asked.

Part 6
-as an extra, cut ending with Jason's father, etc.
-Commentary by director and stars.

Jason Lives is my favorite in the series, and is why I am pushing hard for this title in particular. Tom McLoughlin is a very, very nice guy and was very pissed that Paramount didn't want to do anything previously. He really cares about the fans, and told me he literally would work for free to re-cut the edited footage into the film, re-do the color timing (which he says has NEVER been right on video) and do a commentary track. Alas, the Elias Voorhees scene was never filmed. Tom wrote a great scene, but Frank Mancuso Jr said 'nope'. As they would have to introduce another character into the series and didn't want to do that at that point. *SIGH*

Part 7
-maybe a featurette on this one, since it's the "cult following" of the series (not going to be greedy and say they should all have one)
-Commentary by director Buelcher, star Lar Park Lincoln, Kane Hodder, and for camp value, actress Susan Jennifer Sullivan ("Melissa").

I would say all that should be do-able. This one was cut to shreds and the uncut footage would make it infinitely better, methinks.

Part 8
-Commentary by director/writer Rob Hedden, Kane Hodder, etc.
I have tried to erase all memory of this movie from my mind, but I'm sure they'll have something for it

See you at the movies,
Erik
Old 09-21-03, 02:42 AM

Part 3

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here's what I'm hoping it will look something like:
Part 3:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping this will have an option to watch this in 3D. Is this possible if the print is no longer available and the issue with the budget?
I was hopping for more input myself from the announcement but I hope there make up for the last dissappointment, and I think there wiil.
...BMatt
Old 09-21-03, 02:48 AM

What's color timing?
That's great McLoughlin is so behind the film and what can be done with it now (although 6 was never a favorite of mine). Buelcher seems to have the same attitude about it, according to those who've contacted him. Paramount has it very good in this aspect. Find what you can and let them go at it!

Also, for the set, I'd like the original poster art for all the covers including the Tommy w/machette artwork for part 5 which has never been used on home video and is one of the few good things about that movie. Maybe for Jason Takes Manhattan they can white-out the I <3 NY bit and just have Jason slicing through nothing in particular. I always hated the quickie JTM poster that replaced it.
Old 09-21-03, 09:40 AM

for part 3, I doubt that Dana Kimmell would do a commentary track since I heard that she became born again Christian and so now she doesn't want anything to do with the film.
Old 09-21-03, 10:03 AM

What i really hope for with Part 3, is giving the option of 3D. Everytime i see a particular 3d shot, i keep thinking damn that would look so cool!!
if only 3D was added as an option. And yes i'm aware of the expensive LCD shutter glasses, but at least add the option of 3D along with the non-3D version, for people who do want partake in it.
Old 09-21-03, 12:49 PM

Here's a bunch of deleted scenes from the franchise.

Warning!! - They Are Graphic!!

Deleted Scenes

~Cheers~
Old 09-21-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
What's color timing?
This is done during the telecine process used to make the final prints from, and can drastcially alter the tone of the film. Depending on the accuracy of the color timing, blacks can be grey and muddy, or too dark and all the shadow detail is lost, and colors can be all out of whack. According to Tom, a great deal of time was spent to get a very stylized look to the film, and it never made it to video accurately.

Check out the hullabaloo about the current release of Halloween to see what a difference color timing can make on a film.
Old 09-21-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About Jason Lives uncut footage. Would the canister be labeled 'Friday The 13th VI:Jason Lives Trims' or just 'trims'?

I'm sure if it had the title of the film on it. It would be just a tad easier to locate,lol.

I'm sure Tom is a pretty cool guy. Just something about Jason Lives (what else has he done? I could'nt sworn I've seen a few more films by him) that jumps off the screen at me & is extremely enjoyable fun,that I wish more directors made films with that much enthusiasm.

I have not seen Jason Lives since about 1998. So it's been a tough 5 years patiently waiting. Yet I'm dieing to see it again. With the new low prices. I could pick it up. Yet I wonder If I could wait another year for a possible uncut(which I'm dieing to see!) release?

In fact,I have'nt seen the other Friday films expect for part 3(which I bought,to see it widescreen finally) & the latest ones durring the past few years. Yet I'm itching badly to see all the true classic Fridays again,though have been patiently holding out on the current dvds(they never seem to air on cable anymore sadly as well). Yet those prices are tempting. Still I'm not made of money & thus buy smartly,so as not to double dip everything I own(i'd be broke then because of that).

Oh,but I will keep a positive outlook on the news.

+ I have personally emailed & have been contacted by John Carl Buechlur himself. He seems to possibly have actual reels(prints) of the footage or knows where they are kept since he talks about how he would love to re-edit & restore them. So just because workprint footage of those scenes have been shown at conventions doesn't mean actual prints of the footage do not exist.

I would love to see part 7 uncut. Since that would make the movie alot better,since the obvious sloppy cuts really take away from an otherwise well made but not great film.

As for soundmix issues. That is very simple. The original mono mixes for 1-5 restored & sounding excellent(like on the current dvds) & the original stereo surround mixes for 6-8(as on the current releases).

While they did give the current dvd of part VII a 5.1 mix. I'm sure it was unneeded as the reviews make it seem.

The mono mix movies do not need an 5.1 track at all. They would sound horrible most likely. So why would you want the original mix destroyed just to get a tiny amount of sound in a couple extra speakers?

So restored original mixes whether they are mono or stereo is all thats needed. These films do not need,nor will sound 'right' in 5.1 remix.

Yet if they do give them 5.1 mixes to please the HT junkie 'original mix ambivalence' be damned crowd. They better included the original restored mixes as well(Which they do on most releases thankfully).

I sometimes wonder what is the appeal of destroying old movies by trying to upgrade their soundtracks to 5.1,when they were never meant to be that way?

Re-Animator,I Spit on Your Grave + various AnchorBay releasse(including the upcoming Hills Have Eyes) all sound horrible in 5.1. Thankfully the original superior mono mixes are includes on these releases mentioned above(yet most AB releases throw out the original mix sadly).

Last edited by Julie Walker; 09-21-03 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 01:01 AM

Friday The 13th Audio On Upcomming DVD's

quote:
Originally posted by Julie Walker
I sometimes wonder what is the appeal of destroying old movies by trying to upgrade their soundtracks to 5.1,when they were never meant to be that way?
I saw the original movie recently from region 4 ‘the suppose uncut movie’ and the sound was in mono and it was missing the impact or the punch when something happened, the movie was to flat in the audio department.

I would be satisfied with ‘the suppose budget Paramount has with these films’ if their release them in stereo, then you would have an option to watch them in DPLII what would bring the soundtrack to the back and add another dimension to the movie. I agree to keep the original mix on the DVD :-)

Has anybody heard what version was seen of ‘Friday The 13th’ on the 19th and what was the quality of the print?

BMatt
Old 09-22-03, 03:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option for Paramount could be to take a page from MGM's 007 collection and put a different series-spanning documentary on each disc. You could have documentaries like:

Friday the 13th: The Complete Story (A basic retrospective of the whole series)

The Men Behind the Mask (Profiles and interviews with all the Jason actors)

The Many Faces of Jason (Shows the different 'looks' and makeup jobs for Jason throughout the series)

The Women of Crystal Lake (Profiles of all the 'final girls')

Jason vs. the MPAA (The history of cuts from the films and the battles with the MPAA)

The Lost Legends (Documentary on all the abandoned story elements that were in scripts but never got filmed, or things that were filmed and cut)

Crytsal Lake Tour (Discusses the various locations that were Crystal Lake {and the surrounding area}, visit these places and see how they are today)

The FX of Friday the 13th (Interviews with makeup personnel from all the films, talking about how certain things were done, etc.)
Old 09-22-03, 05:16 AM

We all want to see the original vision

I think we all want to see the directors vision what mainly consist of gore and I think most people think Paramount will let as down with this. Like many people have expressed does the footage exist? I for one hope it does and is in good condition, what can be used or added.

For this to happen we need input from the directors to do these special editions and with out this I think some of the movies won’t be special in terms of what fans want and if Paramount have ready let us down with the first release it may seem like there have again if the directors are not involved.

Like I have expressed in an earlier post, I hope Part 3 will be in 3D what the director intended and include the alternate ending.

We all have a favorite Part ‘Movie’ and I hope Paramount spend their money evenly on all movies not 1 or 2 and put a couple of dollars less there unless the movie needs it to match the series in quality.

I hope Paramount Reps do read this discussion about this Box Set because many of the ideas are great and I would love most of this to become reality.
BMatt
Old 09-22-03, 07:07 AM

THis was just posted at DVDFile:

Camp Blood - 1:39pm

Rounding out today's news is the latest news from Camp Blood, er, the happy home of Jason Voorhees. At a special screening of the original Friday the 13th at Maniafest this past Friday, Paramount Home Entertainment representatives were on hand to officially announce an upcoming box set of the first eight Friday flicks. Details remain sketchy, but fans asking for uncut versions of the flicks may be in luck - Paramount is hard at work trying to locate the missing footage needed to reconstitute new cuts of the films. The set is currently due for release in the fourth quarter of next year, and Paramount is also considering releasing on DVD the Jason-less but fairly popular Friday the 13th television series that ran for three seasons in syndication in the late 80's. Watch this space for further updates.

And if your bloodlust still isn't satiated, also revealed by series creator Sean Cunningham at the screening is that Jason may now really find his way into your living room - hot on the heels of the success of Freddy Vs. Jason, a new television series based on the serial killer's myth and lore, The Crystal Lake Chronicles, is currently in development. Guess this guy just won't ever die? Stay tuned, counselors.
Old 09-22-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love this, should it actually happen, but remember that this is Paramount, not Anchor Bay or Blue Underground. I'm holding onto my current DVD's until the new ones actually materialize.
A lot can happen between now and last quarter '04.
Old 09-22-03, 10:58 AM

Re: Friday The 13th Audio On Upcomming DVD's

Originally posted by BrunnenMatt
quote:
Originally posted by Julie Walker
I saw the original movie recently from region 4 ‘the suppose uncut movie’ and the sound was in mono and it was missing the impact or the punch when something happened, the movie was to flat in the audio department.

I would be satisfied with ‘the suppose budget Paramount has with these films’ if their release them in stereo, then you would have an option to watch them in DPLII what would bring the soundtrack to the back and add another dimension to the movie. I agree to keep the original mix on the DVD :-)

Has anybody heard what version was seen of ‘Friday The 13th’ on the 19th and what was the quality of the print?

BMatt

I would have to disagree for a couple reasons. The R4 may have been badly mastered & no attempt whatsoever went into restoreing the print or audio. I keep hearing reports of R2 & other region dvds being badly masterd,heavily compressed,artifact laden & so forth.

Yet I have seen the R1 Paramount release of Friday the 13th 1-5. I will comment on the original.

The soundmix was excellent & atmospheric. Sure it's mono. So don't go expecting "ooooo edge of your seat surround FX coming from every which way".

For what it was. It delivered & sounded great. The suspense & dread was enhanced..& I noticed things before that could never be heard in past VHS & tv airings which all had badly mastered garbled sound. The dvd audio was clear,pristine & frightening. No need for a 5.1 mix,which will sound terrible

I would rate the mix **** out of ****.

Now if mono sounds 'bad' using a HT-system. Maybe should experiment with different settings to get it sounding 'right'. Afterall,sometimes certain dvds are mastered a certain way & don't sound 'right' at the normal setting.

For years,I thought the mono mixes on Elm Street 1-3 were just badly mastered,as they were far to low & barely audible(so I viewed in 5.1 instead). Anyway I then decided to switch the audio setting over to PCM & fiddle about with it & all of a sudden to my surprise. The mono mixes came alive & sounded excellent!

Though I just thought of another issue if Paramount actually pulls through with uncut release despite what they've said before about their 'policy'.

Just imagine the content of the uncut versions being released through a major studio would be like! This could lead to major change in regards to unrated/uncut releases.

Would Warner Bros finally come to their sense & let The Devils & Cruising out fully uncut , once they see that no major backlash of any sort resulted with the released of uncensored Friday the 13th films which will be far more explicit than the edited versions?

Since Paramount used the 'pressure groups' excuse before,just like what Warner is doing with The Devils & will most likely do the same with Cruising once they discover what the uncut material consists of.

Just a what if scenario. As usual,trying to be postive on this issue

Last edited by Julie Walker; 09-22-03 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-22-03, 03:32 PM

Update.....

I emailed John Carl Buechler Saturday night & just recieved a reply minutes ago.

Some may find it disappointing. Yet he seems sure the footage does exist. But just in case....

From: [email protected] (John_Buechler) Date: Mon, Sep 22, 2003, 9:22am To:
The worst that could happen should 35 mm (it should)footage not be available is that a copy of the work print (which exists on video) could be released as part of the features on the DVD.
Old 09-22-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway I then decided to switch the audio setting over to PCM & fiddle about with it & all of a sudden to my surprise. The mono mixes came alive & sounded excellent!
how do you do that? pt 1, 2, and 4 sound excellent on my sony home theater in a box, but nightmare 1 sucks in terms of sound (the 5.1 is still a bit soft in terms of dialouge but the effects are nice and loud)
Also, watched terminator 1 last night in its mono for the first time on the sound system (I've always watched the 5.1 on the sound system and the mono on my regular tv) and the sound was amazing, it sounded perfectly natrual, and the 5.1 sounds like shit.
Old 09-22-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DRG
Another option for Paramount could be to take a page from MGM's 007 collection and put a different series-spanning documentary on each disc. You could have documentaries like:

Friday the 13th: The Complete Story (A basic retrospective of the whole series)

The Men Behind the Mask (Profiles and interviews with all the Jason actors)

The Many Faces of Jason (Shows the different 'looks' and makeup jobs for Jason throughout the series)

The Women of Crystal Lake (Profiles of all the 'final girls')

Jason vs. the MPAA (The history of cuts from the films and the battles with the MPAA)

The Lost Legends (Documentary on all the abandoned story elements that were in scripts but never got filmed, or things that were filmed and cut)

Crytsal Lake Tour (Discusses the various locations that were Crystal Lake {and the surrounding area}, visit these places and see how they are today)

The FX of Friday the 13th (Interviews with makeup personnel from all the films, talking about how certain things were done, etc.)
Actually the plans are as of now to do a roundtable discussion with the directors, a 'counselor campfire' with eight or so cast members, and some interactive features involving the FX and behind the scenes stuff. Should be cool.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-22-03, 08:20 PM

I hope the region 4 has a different audio mix then the region 1.

The region 4 what is a Warner disc has the mono track in a locked 5.1 track and you probably can play with the track but I rather eat my Popcorn HOT ...HaHaHa

I also notice this on the 'Casablanca' DVD where the mono track is locked in the 5.1 setting.

My 'Flash Gordon Box Set' from Image had a brilliant mono track what the FT13th movies probably have, and takes full advantage of the track.

In the end I want to experience all the movies with the best P/A quality. And if Paramount has a budget why spend the money on 5.1 where you can use this with restoring the films.

BMatt
Old 09-22-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if it's been posted yet... I got this off the Fangoria website.

--September 22: FRIDAY THE 13TH DVD/TV series news

Bloody Disgusting reports that this past weekend at LA’s ManiaFest, a representative from Paramount confirmed that a DVD boxed set of the studio’s eight FRIDAY THE 13TH movies is indeed in the works. While he had no details to report, he made a pitch to the fest attendees to get in touch if they had any “lost” footage, suggesting that Paramount is working to release uncut versions of the movies. He was followed on stage by FINAL CHAPTER director Joseph Zito, who confirmed that the trimmed footage from his FRIDAY entry does still exist and that a restoration can be done.

In addition, FRIDAY creator Sean S. Cunningham revealed that another TV series bearing the franchise’s name is in the works, and suggested that (unlike the supernaturally oriented show that previously bore the title) it would be directly derived from the features and center on Camp Crystal Lake teens. Personally, we think a FRIDAY series in which Jason is brought in to knock off the casts of just-cancelled other shows would be a fun idea; in any case, we’ll keep you posted on any new developments.
Old 09-22-03, 09:03 PM

I wonder why Joseph Zito is part of things while other willing directors don't appear to be involved yet.
Old 09-22-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It it kind of odd. I do know that Steve Miner has not wanted to do anything for the box set. He hasn't said "No" yet, but he's not into it at all. He's also been asked to do the pilot for the show, as well.

Tom McLoughlin expressed interest to me to get involved, and I'm working on getting everyone (talent/production) on the same page to make this thing kick ass.

There is hope, Friday fans!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-22-03, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Anyway I then decided to switch the audio setting over to PCM & fiddle about with it & all of a sudden to my surprise. The mono mixes came alive & sounded excellent!
how do you do that?

Your dvd player should have a menu screen(before you insert a dvd) & you click on "audio options' which will take you to a menu that has the options Dolby Digital,PCM,DTS & they can be set anywhere from no compression to high compression.

With it set to DD,they never sounded right on my player. Yet set to PCM & at various compression lengths. It came off really loud,audible & alive. Was really eye opening actually. Tryed this on other dvds where the mono track didn't sound restored or in good audible condition at all(Halloween,The Fog,Carrie) only to find out they sounded worse. Though in Halloweens case. The 5.1 is crap,but the DD 2.0 stereo track actually sounded excellent. Meanwhile Carrie & The Fog had great 5.1 mixes,that were basically mono,expect for the music. Yet at least they came off natural,rather than phony & still had a raw atmospheric punch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.