Friday The 13th Boxset

Community
Search

Friday The 13th Boxset

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Who is supposed to make this "annoucement"????
Paramount.
Old 09-19-03, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mania Fest

The announcement is supposed to be coming from Paramount Home Video at this year's Mania Fest. It's been known for some time now that Paramount has been working on "new" versions of the films. This is one of the reason's they sponsored Mania Fest's Friday the 13th "Cut 'Em Up" Film Contest.
Old 09-19-03, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We may not hear anything until much later...

9:30 pm - FRIDAY THE 13TH (95 min.)
** The screening will be of a brand new print of the film. Come see the movie as you've never seen it before on the big screen! Mania Fest will be sponsoring a Q&A session with the talent and filmmakers from "Friday the 13th." Scheduled to attend: Sean Cunningham (director), Adrienne King ("Alice Hardy"), and Robbi Morgan ("Annie"). Those in attendance will also be treated to a special announcement regarding the future of the franchise, as well as a screening of the original film.
Old 09-19-03, 04:54 PM

damn it... isn't there one person at the convention with a laptop?
Old 09-19-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can only hope. I'll be in bed by the time this announcement comes out (gotta work in the mornin) , so I guess I'll check back in the mornin.
Old 09-19-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Still no news eh.. Odd.
Old 09-19-03, 11:09 PM

hrmmm, where is the news??
Old 09-20-03, 10:13 AM

News? Hello?
Old 09-20-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Once again,Paramount being a major dick tease.
I wouldn't expect anything as far as a box set of any sort until late 2004 early 2005.
We all know the F13 series isn't priority #1 - 1000 on their list
Old 09-20-03, 11:49 AM

Since this is the weekend we might no hear anything until Monday.
Old 09-20-03, 12:23 PM

This doesn't look good at all. If there was an announcement, i find it hard to believe not one person who's within earshot that posts here hasn't spread any news.

I will give the benefit of the doubt and hope by Monday there's an answer. If not, I feel truly led on. I feel like by the time these are ever released i'm going to have this sour taste in the pit of my stomach toward Paramount.

However, like i said..benefit of the doubt, Paramount said they will announce important info regarding these dvds on the 19th, therefore i will wait out the weekend. Let's hope they don't let us devoted Jason hacks down.
Old 09-20-03, 12:24 PM

Got this off the Friday the 13th films website forum:

Thank Peter H., who attended Maniafest, for the following scoop that you are about to freak out over! This news is for die-hard Friday the 13th fans only. Inside is a projected release time for the box-set, which is official, news on a possibly Crystal Lake TV series, and confirmation on a Friday 4 uncut version! Read on for all the goodies...

Peter H. writes in, "I just got back from Maniafest in LA, where I saw a new 35mm print of Friday the 13th. It was said that there would be a special anouncement regarding the future of the franchise, and sure enough a rep from Paramount told the audience that a box-set is in the works for late next year. He was very vague about the details, but assured us that unrated versions of the eight films were a possibility. He then asked the very sparse audience if they were in possesion of any lost scenes to contact him. That should give you an idea of how far we have to go. Audio commentaries were also a possibility, depending on the availability of the talent.

Also of interest was Sean Cunningham speaking of a possible TV series revolving teens at Camp Crystal Lake. I gathered that it would be a pre-series set time frame, but he was short on details (as usual).

Later Joseph Zito took the stage and spoke about lost scenes for Friday 4. He assured us that they do exist, and it was possible to confirm a new negative.

There you go!
Old 09-20-03, 12:27 PM

speak of the ***** devil!! 2 seconds after my last post!
Old 09-20-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not the announcement, I had expected. Infact, that was so extremely vague that it isn't that comforting.. All we get is there is a box set coming "late next year" and that they may be uncut - and at the same time, asking fans for information / and what not on deleted / lost scenes. Not comforting in the least.

As for the TV show - I'm not excited.

I had been holding off on buying all the F13 films on DVD, but I'll go ahead and buy them, just in case we never see the uncut versions and if we do, I'll sell 'em back or something.
Old 09-20-03, 01:16 PM

Why would some random person in the audience possibly be in possession of "lost footage"? I wonder if that wasn't supposed to be a joke. The whole thing is disapointingly vague.
Old 09-20-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so we pretty much don't know anything we already didn't?
Old 09-20-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since it's already been leaked out a bit, I'll post what I have known for a while now. The plans are to release a box set of parts 1-8 in 2004, and if the uncut elements ARE AVAILABLE they will be used.
Joe Zito has claimed he has knowledge of the cut footage for The Final Chapter, and from my conversations with Tom McLoughlin I know that the Jason Lives footage is still there...somewhere.
As for The New Blood, fans have been claiming the John Carl Buechler has the uncut footage, but as far as I know all he has is the same 10th generation video of the workprint from the dailies that Kane Hodder has, which is NOT usable, in a proper form anyway.

Also, a possible new Friday the 13th series has been talked about and Steve Miner is the choice to direct the pilot, but last I heard he wasn't interested in that or participating in the DVD special features.

Speaking of special features...what I know that have PLANNED (very different from what may actually make it to the discs) is a roundtable discussion with the directors, and a 'counselor campfire' with 8 of the cast members from the films. Also some special easter egg type stuff and some nifty interactive features.
I'm working on getting Tom McLoughlin and Martin Blythe together, and I'll keep everyone here posted.

For al the whiners still complaining...here's what you may or may not know: Paramount did not actually make the films, and they most certainly were not made for a lot of money. All the films were negative pickup deals, which easily explains why the footage may or may not be available.
I'm still very surprised at people's attitudes when Paramount has made it clear they WANT to do the right thing. If they were going to rip us off...why ask for help from fans? (which they have).

Cheers,
Erik

Last edited by DVD_O_Rama; 09-20-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
I'm still very surprised at people's attitudes when Paramount has made it clear they WANT to do the right thing. If they were going to rip us off...why ask for help from fans? (which they have).
Sounds like good news thanks DVD_O_Rama..

I think the "attitude" towards Paramount has to do with
  1. Not getting it right the first time [Subjecting us to some more double dipping -- if one is willing, that is. No one's being forced.. ]
  2. Charging a ridiculous MSRP for what is, essentially, a barebones disc.
Personally, I held off on these discs. It's not that I didn't want to see 'em, but the Price PLUS the lack of any extras prevented me from rationalizing it in anyway.

Last edited by Rogue588; 09-20-03 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 07:44 PM

Paramount's vagueness softens the blow if they aren't able to find the cut footage. It's as simple as that. Why announce what they might not be able to offer? While the news may not seem to be earth shattering, it's certainly very encouraging.
Old 09-20-03, 08:16 PM

I think at this point they are at least trying, and that's a good thing.
Old 09-20-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah,I have no complaints about the news.

Most likely it could lead to a much larger surprise when the set specs are offically announced before release

Either way,I'm looking at the news in a postive light,unlike some people who will never be happy
Old 09-20-03, 10:24 PM

Since it's already been leaked out a bit, I'll post what I have known for a while now. The plans are to release a box set of parts 1-8 in 2004, and if the uncut elements ARE AVAILABLE they will be used.

Joe Zito has claimed he has knowledge of the cut footage for The Final Chapter, and from my conversations with Tom McLoughlin I know that the Jason Lives footage is still there...somewhere.
As for The New Blood, fans have been claiming the John Carl Buechler has the uncut footage, but as far as I know all he has is the same 10th generation video of the workprint from the dailies that Kane Hodder has, which is NOT usable, in a proper form anyway.

Also, a possible new Friday the 13th series has been talked about and Steve Miner is the choice to direct the pilot, but last I heard he wasn't interested in that or participating in the DVD special features.

Speaking of special features...what I know that have PLANNED (very different from what may actually make it to the discs) is a roundtable discussion with the directors, and a 'counselor campfire' with 8 of the cast members from the films. Also some special easter egg type stuff and some nifty interactive features.
I'm working on getting Tom McLoughlin and Martin Blythe together, and I'll keep everyone here posted.

For al the whiners still complaining...here's what you may or may not know: Paramount did not actually make the films, and they most certainly were not made for a lot of money. All the films were negative pickup deals, which easily explains why the footage may or may not be available.

Cheers,
Erik
Who's expressed a poor attitude to Paramount here? We were just expecting an 'anouncement' to be a little more informative. Anchor Bay has been able to work miracles with movies they never made or distributed before, so I think with a little bit of effort Paramount could do the same for movies they actually own and distribute. And Buechler has said his footage is in their valts.

Last edited by Friday13thuncut; 09-20-03 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
Who's expressed a poor attitude to Paramount here? We were just expecting an 'anouncement' to be a little more informative. Anchor Bay has been able to work miracles with movies they never made or distributed before, so I think with a little bit of effort Paramount could do the same for movies they actually own and distribute. And Buechler has said his footage is in their valts.
Sorry I wasn't more specific...I do frequent more websites then this one, and sentiment among the many I do was the same..."Is that all???" I guess I should have been more specific. My bad.
Also the "uncut or else" threads abound as well, when clearly, most folks aren't aware of the situation.
Negative pickups mean Paramount didn't finance the shoot. They picked up the finished cut of the film (yes, they had input of course). More later.

Anchor Bay spends more on little titles because...that's all they have. Paramount has a catalog that dwarfs AB's entire line. Not to mention all the new releases they spend more time with and have more to work with.

By the way...when is the last time you spoke with John Carl Buechler, or did you get your info from the 'net like most everyone else saying that? Just curious.

I personally like to get my info from the source before I post anything about it, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 09-20-03, 11:20 PM

Sorry I wasn't more specific...I do frequent more websites then this one, and sentiment among the many I do was the same..."Is that all???" I guess I should have been more specific. My bad.
Also the "uncut or else" threads abound as well, when clearly, most folks aren't aware of the situation.
Negative pickups mean Paramount didn't finance the shoot. They picked up the finished cut of the film (yes, they had input of course). More later.

Anchor Bay spends more on little titles because...that's all they have. Paramount has a catalog that dwarfs AB's entire line. Not to mention all the new releases they spend more time with and have more to work with.

By the way...when is the last time you spoke with John Carl Buechler, or did you get your info from the 'net like most everyone else saying that? Just curious.

I personally like to get my info from the source before I post anything about it, but that's just me.

Cheers,
Erik

I haven't spoke with John or persued speaking with him, I've read him say this in interviews and that's enough for me. Sorry but I don't see the difference in hearing it from him directly. Common sense would tell you anyway that Paramount has whatever exists in their valts. Paramount put 2-8 into production and called the shots, for "legal reasons" they stayed out of it otherwise until it was time to buy it and release it (probably the cheapest way to go about it, non-union) which Frank Mancuso has spoken to fangoria about. It's not really a big secret or anything. Parmount was in control of 2-8 from the day they started filming and all footage most likely went to them and into their valts. What they've done with it over the years that they're asking fans if they have anything, is the question. Maybe they just want to get every last scrap. I'm sorry but I don't see how you're any more "aware of the situation" than anyone else.
Old 09-20-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Friday13thuncut
I haven't spoke with John or persued speaking with him, I've read him say this in interviews and that's enough for me. Sorry but I don't see the difference in hearing it from him directly. Common sense would tell you anyway that Paramount has whatever exists in their valts. Paramount put 2-8 into production and called the shots, for "legal reasons" they stayed out of it otherwise until it was time to buy it and release it (probably the cheapest way to go about it, non-union) which Frank Mancuso has spoken to fangoria about. It's not really a big secret or anything. Parmount was in control of 2-8 from the day they started filming and all footage most likely went to them and into their valts. What they've done with it over the years that they're asking fans if they have anything, is the question. Maybe they just want to get every last scrap. I'm sorry but I don't see how you're any more "aware of the situation" than anyone else.
I'm more aware of the situation because I've personally interviewed many of the parties named above and a slew of others from the Friday the 13th series, and the info I got from them was quite enlightening. (and very different then the info printed in Fango and other fluffy fan publications).
The uncut footage that everyone thinks is lying around in a vault isn't so simple to locate, or it would have been done. I spoke with director Tom McLoughlin last week or so at great length about Jason Lives (and Freddy vs Jason...a film he passed on several times, and had been offered the job for quite a while), and the footage he and his editor cut for MPAA purposes was labeled 'trims' and stored. He hasn't seen it since, but also was unaware of it's status, as was Martin Blythe who I spoke to just the other day regarding involvement in the box set, and securing talent for commentaries.
Don't believe everything you read, as the uncut footage for the New Blood looks like ass. This is the same copy of the footage Kane Hodder has and has made it's way around the bootleg cirlces for years. it's so bad it could never be used in a proper release.

Oh well, what do I know right?

Cheers,
Erik

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.