DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Difference between Jaws DD 5.1 and DTS? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/317388-difference-between-jaws-dd-5-1-dts.html)

vivarey 09-12-03 12:47 PM

Difference between Jaws DD 5.1 and DTS?

I'm thinking about upgrading my DD copy of Jaws 25th Anniversary edition to the DTS version, and I'm wondering if I'll lose any special features, etc.

Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

PalmerJoss 09-12-03 01:09 PM

I have the DTS version and I believe that the extras are all intact from the DD version. There wasn't too much in the first place--a documentary, deleted scenes and outtakes are about it--so I believe that there was plenty of room on the disc to fit all the extras.

DonnachaOne 09-12-03 01:28 PM

Wasn't there a little uproar over a couple of lines being ommitted from the dts version?

johnglad 09-12-03 01:50 PM

A note of caution: I have had most of the superbit and DTS versions of all the main dvd titles over the years. In my own opinion, Jaws dvd is NOT WORTH THE UPGRADE to DTS.

The dvd has been Re-MIXED to DTS from its original mono (if I remember correctly) soundtrack. It just simply doesn't do it for me in comparion to other dts titles.

Obviously to each their own, but this is not an upgrade that is anywhere near an open/shut case in my book.

In the area of fairness though, dvdfile did a full comparision and they liked the DTS track a lot more. Here is an excerpt:

"Cohesion, richness and a real tangible quality are the three ways the DTS 5.1 surround soundtrack improves over the Dolby edition. If it sounds like I'm saying that the DTS is much better than the Dolby Digital version, I am. Comparing the two, the DTS 5.1, encoded at 758kbps, fills up the listening space rather than just encircling it, which is what the Dolby does. This is most apparent with the John Williams score as DTS simply images much more completely. When surround effects happen, either with actual effects or the score, the Dolby version calls attention to itself, sometimes causing me to turn my head and look toward the speaker, fully aware that I just heard the surrounds. Listening to the DTS soundtrack, there is smoother response and panning in all channels, which makes for a more natural feel in the soundtrack that doesn't seem as gimmicky as the Dolby Digital finally ends up being.

There's also a full, rich quality with more detailed layering of effects, dialog and music to the soundtrack on the DTS that is less pronounced on the Dolby disc. Sounds move away from speakers to hover in front, and occasionally above and below for a deep, solid soundfield that carries the listener through the film in a more believable fashion. The Kintner boy's death is especially telling as the crowds of people frantically try to exit the water. During this passage I clearly heard a cue in the John Williams score that I've never heard before. This is surrounded by people's screams and the sounds of people splashing as water laps against the shore. On the Dolby edition, this cue is much more obscured with a mishmash of sounds covering it that are never as refined as they are on the DTS track.

There's also a stronger, tighter bass presence on the DTS track while the Dolby seems to be almost devoid of this low energy. This is apparent right from the get-go as the opening strains of music kick in with a low thud that is missing from the Dolby version almost entirely. This is heard repeatedly throughout with the ominous notes of the score accompanied by appropriate low end that is only available on the DTS rendering for the most part. When the Dolby bass does kick it into gear, it sounds a bit more muddy and unrefined.

When both versions of the soundtrack were originally announced I was a bit skeptical. I wasn't sure a remix of the original mono soundtrack would sound good anyway and all DTS was going to do was make those flaws more apparent. Boy was I wrong. The DTS edition doesn't fix some of the problematic areas like the dated fidelity against the newer, higher quality effects recordings but it does bring the elements together more seamlessly than the Dolby Digital does. Just about every element of this newly remastered soundtrack gets a boost from the DTS encoding. The DTS version is definitely the way to go if you have the ability to do decode and playback both Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround. "