My first custom dvd cover...what you think?

Old 09-12-03, 12:31 PM

My first custom dvd cover...what you think?

I never cared for the BTTF Trilogy box cover so I made my own...let me hear your opinions...good or bad, I can take it.

Completed BTTF 1 Cover

Front of all 3 covers

Yes, I know "the complete trilogy" doesn't make sence on single cover dvd's...but if you have them all together it does.
Old 09-12-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty good, not sure if I like the fire or not.....

Plus, move to DVD Cover forum
Old 09-12-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice brushed-steel look.

Fire looks like shit.
Old 09-12-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm assuming the fire effect is supposed to be the fire tire tracks. Nice, just needs to be done better.

And match the shade between the spine and back cover and it'd be solid.
Old 09-12-03, 01:08 PM

DOH...sorry...didn't even notice the forum for this.

hhmm...yeah, got comments from others that the flames look cheesy...just used a filter in photoshop to make them.
Old 09-12-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't say the flames look like s--t, there's just no visual context for them.
Old 09-12-03, 01:48 PM

I was going for the DeLorean flame trail....thought it looked cool but the consensus is that they don't work on the cover.
Old 09-12-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very nice so far. I agree that the fire is lacking. It actually detracts from the brushed steel look. As mentioned, the shade for the steel would look better if it were uniform on the back, spine and front. Also, you may want to consider moving the screenshots over to the right a bit so you can have a symetrical border around them; i.e. right now the left side looks cropped because there's no border like on the right and top of the pics.

That said, it's great. Keep in mind the suggestions above and you'll have a winner!

(Oh, btw, there's a typo on the back cover. It currently reads: "It's and exhilarating motion picture triumph...")

Last edited by DVDude!; 09-12-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 03:49 PM

Looks nice so far... will probably look great if you listen to the above suggestions and either really tweak or get rid of those flames...

But you do have some typos, grammar errors, and very awkward sentence structure on the back cover. For example on the typos, "outon" instead of "out on" and "anitics" instead of "antics." Besides that, some of your sentences sound a little iffy (and even Engrishy) when read, so you might want to either copy the text from the back of the VHS sleeves or refine your words some more. Watch your comma and hyphen use too.

Hope I don't come off sounding like the grammar police... good text is just as important as pretty graphics.
Old 09-12-03, 04:27 PM

DVDude..I cut it like that cuz the gradation was getting to dark towards that corner and would have been really black. It's not that noticeable once wrapped around a dvd case....I see what you mean about the cropping but I wanted it to look that way...but I may take your suggestion to see how it looks.

Cloud...nah, I'd rather hear words are spelled wrong then never know..why do you think I asked for comment. I didnt spell check it at all yet, but as for the sentences themselves, i copied them straight off the DVD insert word for word...hypehn for hyphen..comma for comma. I'll probably take out the flames altoghether.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!

Last edited by vice86; 09-12-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by vice86
Cloud...nah, I'd rather hear words are spelled wrong then never know..why do you think I asked for comment.
No problem, then. I did notice one more error that spellcheck probably will pick up anyway, but just in case: "faling" instead of "falling" in the second paragraph.

as for the sentences themselves, i copied them straight off the DVD insert word for word...hypehn for hyphen..comma for comma.
Wow, really? Somehow I'm not surprised. This is the same company that screws up their DVD's half the time anyway, it was only a matter of time before they needed help with their inserts. My apologies then for assuming you were responsible. I do like the aluminum look you have going and will more than likely print out those covers for myself once they're finished.
Old 09-14-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by vice86
DVDude..I cut it like that cuz the gradation was getting to dark towards that corner and would have been really black. It's not that noticeable once wrapped around a dvd case....I see what you mean about the cropping but I wanted it to look that way...but I may take your suggestion to see how it looks.

Thanks for the suggestion guys!
No problem. I see your point about the darkness on the left side. Perhaps that could simply be tweaked in PS?

And CloudVader: good catch on the other typos. I'm embarrassed that I missed them. I've actually been an editor/proofreader. I guess I'm too dependant on spellcheckers.