Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Easiest way to port over DVD inventory from DVD Profiler to DVD Aficionado..?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what the title says.

I really don't want to sit here and type up nearly 800 titles...is there a way to cheat?

oh...and...apologies if this is the wrong forum...I had no idea where to put it...
Old 09-10-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the difference between the two? I have DVD Profiler, but don't really use it.

Old 09-10-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
It's very easy. Export from DVD Profiler to a CSV, open the CSV (in excel). Highlight the titles column, copy it (Just type Ctrl + C), open DVD AF, pick import, paste it (type Ctrl + V), then pick your titles.

Not sure if you can do all 800 in one swoop, but it won't take long.

Edit: You can do 300 at once.

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-10-03 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Sweet!

I thank you, and my fingers thank you Ginwen!
Old 09-11-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
What's the difference between the two? I have DVD Profiler, but don't really use it.

I would say my biggest pet peeves about DVD AF and Guzzlefish is that you have no way to put in:

1. When you purchased the DVD (I like to sort mine by purchase date) EDIT: DVD AF can do this.
2. How much you paid for them. EDIT: DVD AF can do this
3. You can input to DVD Profiler (and guzzlefish) by UPC, so I know that the DVD I put in is the one I have. Sometimes DVD Af is ambiguous.

In addition, DVD Profiler has a whole bunch of charts and graphs you can see, in addition to some great ways to print out your DVD's Information. DVD Profiler also has a ton more information than I have seen with DVD AF or Guzzlefish.

When Guzzlefish first started, the person running it said that they would be adding ability to put in purchase date/price, but I have yet to see that.

Last edited by Numes; 09-11-03 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate to be the defender of all things DVD AF (especially since I prefer DVD Profiler), but you can put all of that into DVD Aficianado (it's a pain, and it doesn't have the handy export feature of Profiler, but it's there).

Just pick the DVDs you want (by clicking their checkboxes), then under MyDVDs pick the Edit my titles function. A page comes up that gives you tons of options (order date, purchase date, price, order number, ratings, notes, custom fields, and so on). Use the arrows to go through all the DVDs you picked. I still prefer DVD profiler's implementation of this (where the little box comes up, and you enter it as you enter your DVDs), but it is available in DVD Af.
Old 09-11-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
I hate to be the defender of all things DVD AF (especially since I prefer DVD Profiler), but you can put all of that into DVD Aficianado (it's a pain, and it doesn't have the handy export feature of Profiler, but it's there).

Just pick the DVDs you want (by clicking their checkboxes), then under MyDVDs pick the Edit my titles function. A page comes up that gives you tons of options (order date, purchase date, price, order number, ratings, notes, custom fields, and so on). Use the arrows to go through all the DVDs you picked. I still prefer DVD profiler's implementation of this (where the little box comes up, and you enter it as you enter your DVDs), but it is available in DVD Af.
My Mistake! Thanks!

I just want to make note, that I like DVD Af and Guzzlefish, I just prefer DVD Profiler. I will edit my previous message.

Another question, can I list my DVD AF DVD's by purchase date, then?
Old 09-11-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Possibly, but I haven't been able to figure out how. It's another reason I prefer Profiler (lots of ability to change the order they show up in, especially locally). I wanted to be able to list mine by notes (because I have for some reason been collecting the AFI 100), and haven't been able to.

If you look under some of the general DVD Af lists (for example: AFI 100 Movies), they are ranked in numerical order, but I haven't been able to achieve this.
Old 09-11-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent thread as i was wondering the same thing. i like DVDProfile, but I want DVDAfficienado for mainly one reason:

Sort the wishlist by how bad you want it. I use the wishlist for others to figure out what DVD's to buy my wife and I at xmas, etc. and although I rate how bad I want a particular DVD in profiler, I don't think that info is available to others viewing the site.

Stew
Old 09-11-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I've never been able to figure out to put movies in a certain order. For instance, I have all my Hannibal Lecter DVDs in one little group, but they default to alphabetical order. Is there someway to put them in "timeline" order?

Almost forgot to say I'm using DVDAf.
Old 09-11-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm guessing you can just set up subfolders and move 'em over..
Old 09-13-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I have them in subfolders already, I'm trying to put those in order within it. Or do you mean sub-folders within sub-folders?
Old 09-13-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

my bad.

i totally misread that. I have no clue how to force a listing by release date/timeline..