Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Is The Piano Teacher Canadian Remstar version cut?

Old 09-11-03, 12:32 AM

Is The Piano Teacher (La Pianiste) Canadian Remstar version cut?

According to the following site, it isn't uncut. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page)

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=1956

However, on the back of the dvd case, it says it's 125 minutes long. To my knowledge, the movie is 130 minutes long. Does anyone know if the Remstar version is cut? Thank you.
Old 09-11-03, 06:37 AM

I would have thought that it's uncut - it is much more likely that the 125 minute listing is simply an erroneous one, as opposed to the film being cut.

Any material that is likely to be have been cut is only very brief anyway - it certainly wouldn't be 5 mins worth. I have seen a "cut" version in the form of an HK/R3 release, and from what I remember from that in comparison to the (French) cinema print I saw they used substitution shots - so the scene where
Spoiler:
she's in the booth had more shots of her face looking at the screen as opposed to showing the actual screen
. I could be wrong about this, but it's how I remember it.

Anyway, I would think you're safe to order that Remstar version -listed running times are often pretty rough, and are usually more likely to be wrong than a film is to be cut.

Hope this helps...

Dazza.
Old 09-11-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

it is not cut.....but it is not 16/9 either....

the British version is the one to go for...!!!
Old 09-11-03, 10:04 AM

... or if you don't need subs, there's the 1-disc French edition that was released yesterday

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000AZSYI/

Not bad for 15.

Dazza.
Old 09-11-03, 04:14 PM

thanks guys. I already had bought it for $10.99 canadian. I just haven't open it yet because I wasn't sure it's cut or not. Hopefully, you guys are right. I've already seen cut version so I would hate to watch a cut version again.

According to amazon.com, kino's cut version runs 125 minutes. Also, the REmstar official site lists it as 125 minutes long.

http://remstarcorp.com/index/english...dvd.asp?id=137

I'm pretty sure there are more cut scenes than one you listed. One sex scene is definitely cut since the cut version has a very awkward editing during that particular scene.

Last edited by jhl74; 09-11-03 at 04:20 PM.