Cut footage in The Breakfast Club?

Old 09-10-03, 11:47 PM

Cut footage in The Breakfast Club?

The Breakfast Club happens to be my favorite movie of all time, so needless to say I recently picked up the High School Reunion Collection. I was watching the trailer for TBC, which I had never seen, and I spotted this right away:

I knew that this wasn't in the movie. Given the lack of other special features on the disc, I was under the impression that there weren't any deleted scenes or such for the movie. This is fairly likely the only shot taken out, and a very short one at that, so I'm not really bugged about only having a trailer, but it is interesting anyway. Ally Sheedy is one of my favorite actresses from the 80's, so I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of her in the movie

I was just wondering if anyone else had spotted this, and if any other subtle hints at cut footage were spotted in the other two films.

Oh, and kudos to Universal for putting out a DVD release that isn't "all bunged up." The picture is good, the menus are nice, and the soundtracks are excellent. Definitely a permanent resident in my collection
Old 09-11-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
hmm...

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet..

I'll keep an eye out though..

As for Universal's "kudos"...I direct your attention HERE..
Old 09-11-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not uncommon for trailers to include shots that weren't in the final movie.
Old 09-11-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Patrick Mirza
I was hoping that footage and a commentary track would have ended up on this disc, but there's always next time.
There shouldn't BE a next time...It's not like Universal rushed the release of these DVDs...they took their sweet 'ol time with 'em...

oh well. i'm complaining, but it doesn't bother me since i'll just eBay the old ones when the "Ultra Super Duper Limited Ultimate High School Edition" comes out..
Old 09-11-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Patrick Mirza
In an interview with Premiere magazine a few years back, John Hughes mentioned that he has the only existing extended workprint of Breakfast Club on a VHS tape (the writer of the article even got to watch it).
I think I read that same article. From what I remember, it was said to be over 3 hours long. That's a lot of deleted scenes. Oh, well, this is one of my favorite movies of the 80's, so obviously I had to have it on DVD. Other than DTS and a trailer, any other reasons to justify my upgrading? Or better yet, reasons not to throw/give away my older copy?

K
Old 09-11-03, 06:01 AM
Banned

As a side note: on a recent episode of The Dead Zone ("Playing God") there was a mini Breakfast Club reunion with Anthony Michael Hall, Ally Sheedy and John Kapelos who portrayed the Carl the Janitor.
Old 09-11-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess this is somewhat on the subject since its on the High School Reunion discs. But i was hoping to get the begining scenes of Weird Science where the guys are talking about Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein.
Old 09-11-03, 10:44 AM
Banned

doesnt the old ones have a different soundtrack?????
Old 09-11-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cracksky
and John Kapelos who portrayed the Carl the Janitor.
The coolest thing about TBC is during the opening credits when they show the display case with the janitor's "Most Likely To Succeed" yearbook picture.
Old 09-11-03, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Jiber2001
doesnt the old ones have a different soundtrack?????
This is supposedly the first version since the theaters (not on broadcast, video, or the earlier DVD release) that features all of the original music...
Old 09-11-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
Other than DTS and a trailer, any other reasons to justify my upgrading?
--anamorphic widescreen
--original theatrical soundtrack
Old 09-11-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
--anamorphic widescreen
--original theatrical soundtrack
Well, technically, I've already upgraded. The High School Reunion Collection is on its way in the mail. But I guess what I want to know is, is there any reason to keep the one I have now? I guess anamorphic widescreen improves the picture, but I've never really been clear on how much, when you don't own a widescreen TV. That's neither here nor there though, since, hopefully, someday I will.

Now, as far as the soundtrack, I'm all for the original theatrical presentation... But here's the rub: I've never seen this movie in the theatre. Only on TV, VHS, and the original DVD. That's, unfortunately perhaps, the movie I fell in love with. Maybe I should hold onto both versions, or create a 2-disc set with custom cover art or something. Hmm. That's a tough one.

K
Old 09-11-03, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Cornelius1047
I think I read that same article. From what I remember, it was said to be over 3 hours long. That's a lot of deleted scenes. Oh, well, this is one of my favorite movies of the 80's, so obviously I had to have it on DVD. Other than DTS and a trailer, any other reasons to justify my upgrading? Or better yet, reasons not to throw/give away my older copy?

K
3 hours?! Wow... I'd gladly triple-dip for this movie if they would release the cut footage in a new edition, even if they do have to rip it off a VHS tape.
Old 09-11-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3 hours isn't all that unusual for a workprint. It's simply an assembly of the existing shot scenes in roughly movie form. Then you start trimming away to get the pacing right, remove redundant shots, etc. It usually doesn't radically impact the scenes in the film... most of this just tightens up scenes that drag and drag before the editing starts.

I've seen long workprints like this of many films... they are great if you are interesting in film editing. But the vast majority of them are boring -- they aren't huge, expanded editions of the films.

I remember watching a 3+ hour workprint of My Best Friend's Wedding once... they wedding itself at the end hadn't been trimmed yet, and it ran for almost 30 minutes. It was like a real wedding, start to finish.
Old 09-11-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Granted I haven't seem this movie in a number of years, but isn't that pic of Ally Sheedy from the scene when they are all dancing? Or am I completely wrong here?
Old 09-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess anamorphic widescreen improves the picture, but I've never really been clear on how much, when you don't own a widescreen TV.
Anamorphic ability gives you about 33% more resolution with a widescreen TV or one that does the "squeeze." In your case, depending on your DVD player's downcoversion ability, it may add more artifacts worsening the picture than a non-anamorphic DVD. (but, usually when a DVD is released for the first time as anamorphic, it looks much better than the previous non-anamorphic version because it's a new transfer which dramatically positively outweighs any negative effect from downconversion. I have yet to compare this new release to the old one - from what I have heard, it's only a little bit better. We'll see.). I suggest you always buy anamorphic DVDs because surely one day you will get an HDTV.

Last edited by DavidH; 09-11-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 08:08 PM
Banned

So none of the scenes added for television are included on this DVD?
Old 09-12-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
So none of the scenes added for television are included on this DVD?
Breakfast Club is the only i didn't get but for Weird Science and Sixteen Candles, No cut scenes are added on the new releases
Old 09-12-03, 02:02 PM

Most of the times that Breakfast Club is shown on TV, additional scenes are spliced back into the movie throughout. So *some* material exists in good enough quality for that.
Old 09-12-03, 05:06 PM

Fnordboy, I've watched this movie dozens of times; I noticed right away that I had never seen that particular shot before. So no, it's not from the dancing scene or anywhere else in the theatrical cut. The other shots in the trailer were all accounted for though.
Old 09-12-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rehevkor
Fnordboy, I've watched this movie dozens of times; I noticed right away that I had never seen that particular shot before. So no, it's not from the dancing scene or anywhere else in the theatrical cut. The other shots in the trailer were all accounted for though.
I figured it wasn't but that was the first scene that came to mind.
Old 09-12-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't TBS or TNT have unaired footage?
Old 09-13-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rehevkor
That's not the only shot in the trailer that's not in the theatrical release of the movie:

There's also the scene which would be very near the end of the movie in which Ally Sheedy says to Emelio Estevez "I don't want to be alone any more" and he replies "You don't have to be." That might be in the TV version of the movie, but it's not anywhere else on the DVD other than the trailer.
Old 09-13-03, 01:22 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
So what music was there on the previous disc? Other songs, or just some studio musician music?