Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Ever *pad* certain filmographies in your collection?

Old 09-10-03, 05:59 PM
Banned

Whether it by actor/director/writer Have you ever bought a DVD merely because you want to complete a certain collection of a certain person? I was at Best Buy yesterday checking out their super cheap $5.99 DVDs. The Astronaut's Wife and City Hall both caught my eye. Only because I like Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. I must of stood there in front of the shelf for 10 minutes deciding whether or not to buy them. In the end I chose not to. I cannot simply buy a movie I have absolutely zero interest in except for a said actor. So, have you ever padded certain actors or directors collections?
Old 09-10-03, 06:33 PM

Well, I don't know that it's padding, necessarily... but I often purchase titles blind if I've liked the director's / writer's other works, or if it stars an actor or actors I particularly like in character-driven roles.

A good example of this would be my recent purchases of several Monte Hellman titles: I loved "Baretta" and "Two Lane Blacktop," so I decided to pick up "Cockfighter" and "The Shooting." This decision was strengthened by my admiration for Warren Oates, Jack Nicholson, and Harry Dean Stanton.

So if that's padding, sure, I pad.
Old 09-10-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've made blind buys simply because I like certain performers/directors, but I probably wouldn't keep the title if I really disliked it. So, I guess my answer is no.
Old 09-10-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

intentional padding? sounds serious. yeah...sure. a few times maybe. I end up collecting only what I love anyway. I buy every Blue Underground title so if thats paddin'....I surrender. with over 1,200 titles....my collection is still way incomplete. final padding will come next year.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 09-10-03 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-10-03, 08:06 PM

I actually made two blind buys with Taxi Driver and Ronin. I'm a big De Niro fan and try to collect all of his movies that interest me.
Old 09-10-03, 08:20 PM
Cool New Member

Can anyone say SALO. Had to 'pad' for the criterion collection and bought something that I will probably never ever watch again.
Old 09-10-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've bought all of the Halloweens so the collection would be complete. But then again, I like most of them.
Old 09-10-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bruce Willis Movies. I don't know why. I just picked up Tears of the Sun and Hart's War during Hollywood Video's 2 for $20 sale. I liked both movies and they will fit into the collection nicely.
Old 09-11-03, 12:01 AM

I'm a big De Palma fan, but I'm not a big fan of all his movies. Nonetheless, the completist lunatic in me had to go an spend $6.oo on "Bonfire of the Vanities", and is considering buying "Mission to Mars" if it appears at a similar price. But man, I hate those movies!

JiM
Old 09-11-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

no way - i only buy dvds i really like. period. i never buy a dvd for any other reason (even if it was $1).
Old 09-11-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by atari2600
no way - i only buy dvds i really like. period. i never buy a dvd for any other reason (even if it was $1).
No blind buys for you?
Old 09-11-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably

Harvard Man, Simply Irresistible
Old 09-11-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mexican.

'Nuff said.
Old 09-11-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am willing to gamble on some DVDs, if they are cheap... it's like easier than renting, plus you can sell them if you dont like them, usually

I do have a few DVDs I doubt I could sell was stuff I liked at the time, but now I hate... and I think everybody would agree they are crap. couple of them I got for free, so thats not too bad... but the other two I paid retail for... very sad
Old 09-11-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by celluloidwisdom

A good example of this would be my recent purchases of several Monte Hellman titles
Celluloidwisdom-
You should pick up Hellman's Beast From Haunted Cave

I don't purposely try to fill or pad for a particular director/actor/series, but being somewhat obsessive-compulsive I do take it into consideration............
Old 09-11-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

All the time!
Old 09-11-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by costanza187
Probably

Harvard Man, Simply Irresistible
Yeah I bought Harvard Man too just for Sarah Michelle Gellar. Although I actually like the movie I'm kinda pissed that I paid $20 for it a couple of months ago and now it's in Wal-Marts $5.88 bin.
Old 09-11-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's every Buffy fan's duty to seek out any and all DVDs with SMG, Aly H, Nik B, or Anthony H!

You know, Harvard man actually had potential to be a good movie, if it had been done a little differently, some different actors would have been nice...

the guy who was in the leading role was a moron.
Old 09-11-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought Dogma even though I didn't like it just so I'd have the complete Kevin Smith output.

Plus, I figured there was a good chance of a good commentary or something given Smith's previous releases.
Old 09-11-03, 02:44 PM
Banned

Red Planet for Carrie-Anne Moss.
Old 09-11-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a DVD Collector, I'll sometimes buy movies that aren't my favorites to complete a collection within my overall DVD collection. For example, I'll buy all the Ray Harryhausen movies they release, since that's something I've decided to collect. That's hardly padding.
Old 09-11-03, 03:12 PM

Location: The kackles of your heart, maybe the sub-kackle area
I just bought O' Brother where art Thou to finish my Coen Brothers collection. I didn't get all that out of the movie the first time, but my collection wouldn't have been the same without it. Here's to waiting for Intolerable Cruelty!
Old 09-11-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Arnold movies
Old 09-11-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by rockinghorse
I just bought O' Brother where art Thou to finish my Coen Brothers collection. I didn't get all that out of the movie the first time, but my collection wouldn't have been the same without it. Here's to waiting for Intolerable Cruelty!

I am glad that somebody else came out and said they didn't like that movie!
Old 09-11-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Originally posted by Alien Redrum
I've bought all of the Halloweens so the collection would be complete. But then again, I like most of them.
Same here ...I guess that makes me somewhat of a completist. The only reason Halloween Resurrection has found it's way into my collection is simply to complete the series. I just get this overwhelming urge to own sequels regardless of whether or not they stink.

These include:
  • Alien³ - Part of the boxset
  • A View To A Kill - ditto
  • Critters 4
  • The Crow sequels ...that, plus I got a great deal on the box set.
  • The Mummy Returns
  • The Sum Of All Fears
  • The Omen 4
and so on and so forth...

Not that I would consider these horrible movies per se, their just not something I would ordinarily spend money on if they weren't part of a series.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.