DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Ever *pad* certain filmographies in your collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/316973-ever-%2Apad%2A-certain-filmographies-your-collection.html)

lesterlong 09-10-03 04:59 PM

Ever *pad* certain filmographies in your collection?

Whether it by actor/director/writer Have you ever bought a DVD merely because you want to complete a certain collection of a certain person? I was at Best Buy yesterday checking out their super cheap $5.99 DVDs. The Astronaut's Wife and City Hall both caught my eye. Only because I like Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. I must of stood there in front of the shelf for 10 minutes deciding whether or not to buy them. In the end I chose not to. I cannot simply buy a movie I have absolutely zero interest in except for a said actor. So, have you ever padded certain actors or directors collections?

celluloidwisdom 09-10-03 05:33 PM

Well, I don't know that it's padding, necessarily... but I often purchase titles blind if I've liked the director's / writer's other works, or if it stars an actor or actors I particularly like in character-driven roles.

A good example of this would be my recent purchases of several Monte Hellman titles: I loved "Baretta" and "Two Lane Blacktop," so I decided to pick up "Cockfighter" and "The Shooting." This decision was strengthened by my admiration for Warren Oates, Jack Nicholson, and Harry Dean Stanton.

So if that's padding, sure, I pad.

NavinJohnson 09-10-03 06:00 PM

Ever *pad* certain filmographies in your collection?

I've made blind buys simply because I like certain performers/directors, but I probably wouldn't keep the title if I really disliked it. So, I guess my answer is no.

gutwrencher 09-10-03 06:49 PM

intentional padding? sounds serious. yeah...sure. a few times maybe. I end up collecting only what I love anyway. I buy every Blue Underground title so if thats paddin'....I surrender. with over 1,200 titles....my collection is still way incomplete. final padding will come next year-wink-.

Corleone316 09-10-03 07:06 PM

I actually made two blind buys with Taxi Driver and Ronin. I'm a big De Niro fan and try to collect all of his movies that interest me.

samson21 09-10-03 07:20 PM

Can anyone say SALO. Had to 'pad' for the criterion collection and bought something that I will probably never ever watch again.

Alien Redrum 09-10-03 07:30 PM

I've bought all of the Halloweens so the collection would be complete. But then again, I like most of them. :)

Tsar Chasm 09-10-03 09:41 PM

Bruce Willis Movies. I don't know why. I just picked up Tears of the Sun and Hart's War during Hollywood Video's 2 for $20 sale. I liked both movies and they will fit into the collection nicely.

JiM T 09-10-03 11:01 PM

I'm a big De Palma fan, but I'm not a big fan of all his movies. Nonetheless, the completist lunatic in me had to go an spend $6.oo on "Bonfire of the Vanities", and is considering buying "Mission to Mars" if it appears at a similar price. But man, I hate those movies!

JiM

atari2600 09-10-03 11:21 PM

no way - i only buy dvds i really like. period. i never buy a dvd for any other reason (even if it was $1).

The Bus 09-11-03 06:13 AM

Originally posted by atari2600
no way - i only buy dvds i really like. period. i never buy a dvd for any other reason (even if it was $1).
No blind buys for you?

costanza187 09-11-03 08:09 AM

Probably

Harvard Man, Simply Irresistible

Kromax 09-11-03 08:10 AM

The Mexican.

'Nuff said.

costanza187 09-11-03 08:19 AM

I am willing to gamble on some DVDs, if they are cheap... it's like easier than renting, plus you can sell them if you dont like them, usually

I do have a few DVDs I doubt I could sell :lol: was stuff I liked at the time, but now I hate... and I think everybody would agree they are crap. couple of them I got for free, so thats not too bad... but the other two I paid retail for... very sad

Pointyskull 09-11-03 08:27 AM

Originally posted by celluloidwisdom

A good example of this would be my recent purchases of several Monte Hellman titles

Celluloidwisdom-
You should pick up Hellman's Beast From Haunted Cave :thumbsup:

I don't purposely try to fill or pad for a particular director/actor/series, but being somewhat obsessive-compulsive I do take it into consideration............

matome 09-11-03 08:58 AM

All the time!

boston george 09-11-03 09:05 AM

Originally posted by costanza187
Probably

Harvard Man, Simply Irresistible

Yeah I bought Harvard Man too just for Sarah Michelle Gellar. Although I actually like the movie I'm kinda pissed that I paid $20 for it a couple of months ago and now it's in Wal-Marts $5.88 bin.

costanza187 09-11-03 09:09 AM

It's every Buffy fan's duty to seek out any and all DVDs with SMG, Aly H, Nik B, or Anthony H!

You know, Harvard man actually had potential to be a good movie, if it had been done a little differently, some different actors would have been nice...

the guy who was in the leading role was a moron.

BigDan 09-11-03 12:28 PM

I bought Dogma even though I didn't like it just so I'd have the complete Kevin Smith output.

Plus, I figured there was a good chance of a good commentary or something given Smith's previous releases.

KenobiKid22 09-11-03 01:44 PM

Red Planet for Carrie-Anne Moss.

Ginwen 09-11-03 01:56 PM

As a DVD Collector, I'll sometimes buy movies that aren't my favorites to complete a collection within my overall DVD collection. For example, I'll buy all the Ray Harryhausen movies they release, since that's something I've decided to collect. That's hardly padding.

rockinghorse 09-11-03 02:12 PM

I just bought O' Brother where art Thou to finish my Coen Brothers collection. I didn't get all that out of the movie the first time, but my collection wouldn't have been the same without it. Here's to waiting for Intolerable Cruelty!

fumanstan 09-11-03 02:40 PM

Arnold movies :)

costanza187 09-11-03 04:54 PM

Originally posted by rockinghorse
I just bought O' Brother where art Thou to finish my Coen Brothers collection. I didn't get all that out of the movie the first time, but my collection wouldn't have been the same without it. Here's to waiting for Intolerable Cruelty!

I am glad that somebody else came out and said they didn't like that movie!

Chad 09-11-03 06:59 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
I've bought all of the Halloweens so the collection would be complete. But then again, I like most of them. :)
Same here ...I guess that makes me somewhat of a completist. The only reason Halloween Resurrection has found it's way into my collection is simply to complete the series. I just get this overwhelming urge to own sequels regardless of whether or not they stink.

These include:
  • Alien³ - Part of the boxset
  • A View To A Kill - ditto
  • Critters 4
  • The Crow sequels ...that, plus I got a great deal on the box set.
  • The Mummy Returns
  • The Sum Of All Fears
  • The Omen 4
and so on and so forth...

Not that I would consider these horrible movies per se, their just not something I would ordinarily spend money on if they weren't part of a series.