Lo and behold, I only watch it once.

Recent examples:

Chicago
LOTR: The Two Towers
ET
Bean: The Complete Series
Old 09-10-03, 02:10 PM
Banned

Ah, but you may yet view those dvd's a second time in the future!
Old 09-10-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cungar
Lo and behold, I only watch it once.

Recent examples:

Chicago
LOTR: The Two Towers
ET
Bean: The Complete Series
Jeez, most of those just came out within the past few months. Hell, LOTR has barely been out for two weeks!

I certainly wouldn't beat myself up over this. Unless you are on your deathbed, you'll have PLENTY of time to watch these movies again.
Old 09-10-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. I know.

But they just sit there.
Old 09-10-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No, I'm buying this dvd because it's cheaper then renting it and I KNOW I don't want to hassel with blockbuster or any other rental store
Old 09-10-03, 02:17 PM

I know. I know.
But they just sit there.
???
Old 09-10-03, 02:21 PM
Banned

I know. I know.

But they just sit there.
I don't understand. Did you buy these dvd's in the hopes that you would be doing nothing but watching them nonstop?

"But they just sit there"

Did you expect them to move? Mine don't move either! Is it too late for me to exchange them?

Most importantly, did they all come with inserts?
Old 09-10-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. I know.

But they just sit there.
Oh, I see. You need to upgrade to the new singing, dancing DVDs. (Or if you are in Region 4, the "Mexican Jumping DVDs")

Then you'll see a bit more action from your purchases.
Old 09-10-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup

I was originally going to say it's getting old, but damn_if it still isn't funny.

I have unwatched DVDs a few years old, so a few weeks without a second viewing is nothing.

Although, I recently bought an REM import single knowing full well I would listen to it once, then put it on the shelf. I even told the guy at the store as I handed over my money. Alas, the trials and tribulations of being a collector.
Old 09-10-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. It is clear to me that cungar has been cured. Unlike the rest of us, his DVDs no longer call out to him if he leaves them alone for too long. They just sit there. He's just a little confused by the change.
Old 09-10-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

since I'm building a library, my dvds have bed sores. they sit....and look pretty. if you are not a collector and maybe just a casual film lover....just dump the damn things and move on.
Old 09-10-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know. I know.

But they just sit there.
OMG - my CDs do the same thing!

And my clothes ..... shirts smirking at me from the back of the closet, shoes waiting for a chance to get outdoors again .... the horror..the horror!
Old 09-10-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by folgersnyourcup
Even more importantly, they must have a trailer.

And, heck, watchin' a movie once, I'm happy with that most of the time. With work, gym and other crap, it's hard to watch DVDs a lot. Plus with the Chartered Financial Analyst Exam that I just signed up for that has 14 books to study from just for level I, I'm definitely gonna be hurtin' for time.
Old 09-10-03, 03:07 PM

What I have done recently to make my DVD's a little happier is offering them as free rentals to my co-workers. I sent everyone in the office a link to my guzzlefish list and told them to feel free to borrow whatever they like provided I get it back within 2 weeks. I also ask that they email me the request so that I have some way of tracking who has what.
Old 09-10-03, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by chente
What I have done recently to make my DVD's a little happier is offering them as free rentals to my co-workers. I sent everyone in the office a link to my guzzlefish list and told them to feel free to borrow whatever they like provided I get it back within 2 weeks. I also ask that they email me the request so that I have some way of tracking who has what.

thank god thats a joke.....because thats just plain NUTS!!!
Old 09-10-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. I know.

But they just sit there.
Mine don't.

Now I'm worried.
Old 09-10-03, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher

thank god thats a joke.....because thats just plain NUTS!!!
Umm, I'm not joking. I work in a small office, there are only 10 of us so I'm not too worried about it. Why do you think this is nuts?
Old 09-10-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Craziest....thread.......EVAR!
Old 09-10-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to have a lot more DVD's, but I had the problem of not watching them, so I sold a lot of them(and some games) when I needed some quick money. Now I'm on a strict plan of only buying "essential" movies, which has kept me to a purchase total of nine DVD's in five months, with only four more being added to my collection for the rest of the year(Carlito's Way, Scarface, Two Towers EE, T3). It feels great not being bent over by DVD's anymore.
Old 09-10-03, 09:49 PM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by chente
Umm, I'm not joking. I work in a small office, there are only 10 of us so I'm not too worried about it. Why do you think this is nuts?
It's very nice of you, but I'd never do that. I'm sure that some would be damaged, lost and/or stolen, and it'd really piss me off.

I used to do that with VHS tapes. I had quite a collection of Dr. Who stories I had recorded over the years. Lent some to a guy at work, he got fired, and I never got my tapes back. (Yes I followed up on it...no dice. John, if you are reading this I STILL want my tapes back!)

I can see many, many other senerios where you get the short end of the stick on this. Scratched DVDs, missing inserts (on no!), cases with no DVDs inside, DVDs getting lost, "I lent it to my cousin and he hasn't gotten it back tome yet" syndrome. And I can see people getting pissed off at you, if you get mad when they scratch up your disc.

I don't see the upside either. Sure, you're the cool guy with the DVD collection, but I don't think that's worth the hassle.

Good Luck!

-Videophile
Old 09-10-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that I've had some VHS tapes that I've lent to people over the years and have lost track of. At this point, there are only about 2 or 3 people that I believe are responsible enough to lend my DVDs too.
Old 09-10-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally don't care if I'll watch a DVD that I buy more than once... Heck if I watch it once , ever, then I feel like I got my money's worth... I have so many that I have never seen that I don't worry about multiple viewings. I just hate the idea of renting anything for starters... it's why I own a home and why I don't lease cars... it just feels better to own it.
Old 09-10-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i only own about 80, but i've never watched probably half of them and the others I've only watched once since getting the DVD.

Stew
Old 09-10-03, 11:03 PM

I cant watch a movie twice, I need to give it much time to vanish from my memory before I watch it again. It might be a year or longer before I pop it in again...
Old 09-10-03, 11:39 PM

I cant watch a movie twice
I don't deprive myself of the pleasure of watching a DVD multiple times in a short period if I fell like doing it.

I only lend my DVDs & tapes to my brother.

With a library of 1700+ titles I don't need to rent. Doing it is a pain in the butt, plus I'd rather spend that $$$ on more DVDs & LDs.

I know. I know. But they just sit there.

Mine don't. Now I'm worried.
I wish mine moved, it would make me a fortune!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.