DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Am I The Only One Who Wishes All TV Shows Were Packaged Like M*A*S*H? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/316902-am-i-only-one-who-wishes-all-tv-shows-were-packaged-like-m%2A%2As%2Ah.html)

vedderstapp 09-10-03 12:08 PM

Am I The Only One Who Wishes All TV Shows Were Packaged Like M*A*S*H?

I mean, its just neater. And less likely to break. And less space consuming. And less of a pain in the ass to get the discs out. And...

Am I on my own here?

lordzeppelin 09-10-03 12:09 PM

Yes, because I wish they were all packaged like Futurama.

cdollaz 09-10-03 12:46 PM

I wish they were all packages like Alias

emanon 09-10-03 01:03 PM

As I know what neither MASH nor Alias is packaged like, my vote goes with Futurama.

cungar 09-10-03 01:13 PM

I wish they were packaged with coupons for a FREE 54" HDTV flat screen.

kmac2878 09-10-03 01:15 PM

:up: :up: for Futurama-like packaging.

SideShow 09-10-03 01:19 PM

Thin pack casing for TV seasons is so where it's at.

Groucho 09-10-03 01:21 PM

I wish they all could be California girls.

PalmerJoss 09-10-03 01:23 PM

I agree with everyone who says that the packaging for Futurama is the way to go for tv show packaging. Very sleek and it doesn't take up much room, either.

milo bloom 09-10-03 01:25 PM

Anything but fold outs. Just don't care for those quite so much.

tonyc3742 09-10-03 01:46 PM

Pics?
I don't like the foldout style that things like Mary Tyler Moore or the Simpsons use. Esp MTM, it's got like seventeen folds, so it's always a pain to get to disks 2 or 3.
I do like what some of the anime 'full season' sets use, like Haunted Junction or Sakura Diaries--I think it's basically like Star Wars/Phantom Menace and AotC, only a double size plastic case. Probably wouldn't work for a 3+ disk set, however.

milo bloom 09-10-03 01:51 PM

Originally posted by dtcarson
Pics?
I don't like the foldout style that things like Mary Tyler Moore or the Simpsons use. Esp MTM, it's got like seventeen folds, so it's always a pain to get to disks 2 or 3.
I do like what some of the anime 'full season' sets use, like Haunted Junction or Sakura Diaries--I think it's basically like Star Wars/Phantom Menace and AotC, only a double size plastic case. Probably wouldn't work for a 3+ disk set, however.

SportsNight uses 3 TPM/AOTC style cases to hold six discs with a cardboard slip. Very nice.

Kinyo 09-10-03 02:27 PM

Re: Am I The Only One Who Wishes All TV Shows Were Packaged Like M*A*S*H?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vedderstapp
I mean, its just neater. And less likely to break. And less space consuming. And less of a pain in the ass to get the discs out. And...

Am I on my own here?
[/

I wish they were all packaged like Mash also. I'll proably convert buffy,alias,etc. into alphas just like Mash.

davidvp 09-10-03 02:53 PM

I have a nice, fuzzy-all-over feeling that come October 21st, 2003, TV-on-DVD fans will have a new standard of excellence regarding boxed set packaging. Looks mahhhhhhh-velous! :) ..........

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(And: Any self-respecting fan of Great TV who does *not* pick up the 5 D.V.Dyke boxed sets immediately upon their release will be shot on sight! [Per order of the TV-on-DVD Police.]
A tough mandate, to be sure. But essential. Believe me. :))

Mel -- "Rob, where's the script!? Alan's been chewing my head off!!"

Rob -- "Oh! Is THAT how that happened?!!" :)

calhoun07 09-10-03 03:37 PM

Since I order quite a bit online, one thing I look for in season set packaging is what are the chances I will get a loose disc? Fox's packaging, for some reason, has had the highest percentage of loose discs. Now I am talking about the fold out boxes here, like X Files, Buffy and 24. More often than not, you get a loose disc in there. The nice thing about the thin packs (like Futurama) is that even if you get a loose disc in the case, there is a ring on the opposite side of the disc to hold the disc in place, so it won't move around in shipping and handling and get scuffed and unplayable. For that reason, and that reason alone IMO, that is why I would pick the thin packs as the best packaging.

I do have to give a tip of the hat to Paramount, however. As much as I dislike the thin plastic cases they put Deep Space Nine in, the discs are layed in there in such a way that having a loose one is impossible.

Of course, as many studios there are releasing TV shows on DVD, there will be just as many different ideas for packaging, so I don't think we will see too many other studios switching to the thin packs anytime soon, unfortunately. I sure hope Fox didn't patent that idea, though, in the event somebody else wants to use that idea.

DVD.guy 09-10-03 03:46 PM

I totally dislike the Band of Brothers was packaged. Way too difficult to get the the first couple of disks. Althought 24:S1 is a fold out time, it is much easier. I think the way Alias is packaged is the way to go. Of course, this is comming from someone who does not have MASH or Futurama as some of you have mentioned.

darkflounder 09-10-03 04:11 PM

Babylon 5 season sets packaging is top-notch. Book style six-disc holder with a slipcase.

Cartload 09-10-03 04:36 PM

Originally posted by darkflounder
Babylon 5 season sets packaging is top-notch. Book style six-disc holder with a slipcase.
Except for the hubs that result in numerous floaters. Futurama is where it's at. DS9 gets a good second place vote although I can see the plastic panels ripping off after a lot of use.

D-Ball 09-10-03 05:05 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
Anything but fold outs. Just don't care for those quite so much.
I agree with that. I received 24: Season 2 today and it has fold-out packaging for the 7-disc set. I measured the unfolded case and it is just over 4 feet long. I'd much prefer the thin-pak cases, especially for the bigger sets.

MasterCXtreme 09-10-03 05:41 PM

The Family Guy type packaging is my favorite.

calhoun07 09-11-03 03:30 PM

Maybe Fox should run a new poll to coincide with their TV shows on DVD poll and ask what type of packaging we would prefer.

shanester 09-11-03 05:04 PM

Charlie's Angels Season 1

Loved the slim multi colour cases :up:

mctague 09-11-03 06:10 PM

Thin is in

SideShow is right....thin is in. I wish ALL DVDs came in the Homicide style 1/2 width cases....

mrcoaster 09-11-03 09:50 PM

In general, I'm not a huge fan of thin-paks, but I think they are good for TV shows on DVD. That definitely seems like a good way to go. No loose discs and doesn't take up much space.

Tigger 09-12-03 11:37 AM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I wish they were all packages like Alias
Here here! Me too... talk about clean, easy access and no worries of damaging the entire set, when trying to get one disc out (X-Files).