Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Grrr there go my heart's abhorrence - Arthur, Innocent Blood pan-and-scan

Grrr there go my heart's abhorrence - Arthur, Innocent Blood pan-and-scan

Old 09-08-03, 04:08 AM
Cool New Member

Grrr there go my heart's abhorrence

How can a studio release a widescreen film in pan-and-scan only? Arthur is one; Innocent Blood is another.

Grrr!
Old 09-08-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up ... nobody here ever noticed that before, or nothered to mention it, or bothered to start a thread abut it.
Old 09-08-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Grrr there go my heart's abhorrence

Originally posted by Rodney D'Armand
How can a studio release a widescreen film in pan-and-scan only? Arthur is one; Innocent Blood is another.

Grrr!
Wait...they do that?

I'm going to go watch the Jerk.
Old 09-08-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pan...Scan?
Old 09-08-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey, atleast you don't get those damn_black bars!!!
Old 09-08-03, 02:31 PM

...sometimes they even release movies on DVD's without inserts.
Old 09-08-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

another new member slammed silly....

uhhh...welcome to the boards, where we all must pay the price as a rookie.
Old 09-08-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rodney D'Armand welcome to the boards!

Unfortunatley you are soon to discover that studios to THIS day STILL release only FOOL screen editions. I could list all of them for you but I need this life for other things as that is about how long it would take. MGM is the worst by far. Hot Dog The movie being the last I wanted to REALLY buy.

Hey...just loook at all of the money you are saving.
Old 09-08-03, 05:20 PM

Can someone please explain to me what the title of this thread means and what it has to do with pan-n-scan? I understand what all the words mean, but they don't make any sense put together like that.
Old 09-08-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by msbailey
Can someone please explain to me what the title of this thread means and what it has to do with pan-n-scan? I understand what all the words mean, but they don't make any sense put together like that.
Maybe he wanted to imitate Danol
Old 09-08-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
and what's with these cardboard DVD cases..?
Old 09-08-03, 07:24 PM
Cool New Member

Yes, I am a newbie. But I'm an old newbie, and being mocked doesn't offend me as it did when I was younger.

The thread title is the first line from a poem by Robert Browning. If you're truly interested, look it up. The connection to the topic should thereafter be apparent.

I just found out that when US releases are poopy, you can sometimes find just what you want elsewhere. For example: all the releases of "Ginger Snaps" (2000) available in the US are 1.33:1. However, Canadian outlets -- and only Canadian outlets -- are selling a widescreen collector's edition.

I found this out by accident. It would be nice to see a compilation of foreign resources for this sort of thing. May be a job for one of you terribly knowledgeable people ....
Old 09-08-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I found this out by accident. It would be nice to see a compilation of foreign resources for this sort of thing. May be a job for one of you terribly knowledgeable people ....
This is what the forum named "International DVD Talk" is all about.

DJ
Old 09-08-03, 08:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by djtoell
This is what the forum named "International DVD Talk" is all about.
Thanks!
Old 09-08-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

these 2 films are presented in open matte. no pan and scan on those. I have their WS LD, and you are not gaining any images. Still it isnt their OAR.
Old 09-08-03, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by salamander2
these 2 films are presented in open matte. no pan and scan on those. I have their WS LD, and you are not gaining any images. Still it isnt their OAR.
I'm grateful for your reply, but I don't understand it. Are you saying that the images on the DVDs are complete in both films?
Old 09-08-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm grateful for your reply, but I don't understand it. Are you saying that the images on the DVDs are complete in both films?
It mean both those films were shot fullscreen, then the filmmaker put a blackbar on the top and bottom to compose for theatrical showing. (I know its more complicated, just trying to simplify things). So yes, this is not the way the director intended you to see it, but no, you are NOT losing any images on the DVD. You are gaining images you werent suppose to see.
Old 09-08-03, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

That's good to know. I've been trying to find information like that myself, but I'm new at this.

Thanks again.
Old 09-08-03, 09:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

The thread title is the first line from a poem by Robert Browning. If you're truly interested, look it up. The connection to the topic should thereafter be apparent.
Descriptive thread titles produce a poetry of their own. They also don't make you click on the thread to figure out what they're about.
Old 09-08-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Descriptive thread titles produce a poetry of their own. They also don't make you click on the thread to figure out what they're about.
I figured it out immediately upon viewing the thread title only. However, I do have an English degree.

That said, well put, Static.
Old 09-09-03, 02:22 PM

Pardon my ignorance and color me surprised that Robert Browning actually used "Grr" to start a poem.

Damn state school English B.A. proving its worthlessness once more.
Old 09-09-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by msbailey
Pardon my ignorance and color me surprised that Robert Browning actually used "Grr" to start a poem.

Damn state school English B.A. proving its worthlessness once more.
Old 09-10-03, 03:48 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by salamander2
It mean both those films were shot fullscreen, then the filmmaker put a blackbar on the top and bottom to compose for theatrical showing. (I know its more complicated, just trying to simplify things). So yes, this is not the way the director intended you to see it, but no, you are NOT losing any images on the DVD. You are gaining images you werent suppose to see.
Where do you find this information? I've been searching the web and haven't been able to find sites that discuss this.

I'm finding a number of DVDs offered as 1.33 that may or may not have originally been shown as widescreen; and, if they were shown as widescreen, there's no way to tell whether the widescreen was genuine or fabricated, as you described. Without being able to determine these things, I'm now reluctant to buy.

Incidentally, I found out that "Arthur" is being sold in the UK in "widescreen" format, which I assume is the chopped down format you described.
Old 09-10-03, 12:51 PM

To clarify a little, when a film is released full screen on DVD, it is a case of one of three things happening:

1. Open matte - meaning the full image is on the DVD, theatrical and widescreen releases just matted off the top and bottom of the image. You aren't losing anything, in fact you are seeing more.

2. They zoomed in on the image and cut off the sides. Mainly done for 1.85:1 films or older transfers of 2.35:1 films. Picture is lost this way.

3. Pan and scan - This is for widescreen 2.35:1 films where they add artificial left or right pans to show different picture information in what was normally a static shot. This totally changes the film and most directors are against this unless they can do the transfer themselves. William Friedkin said he actually liked the pan and scan version of SORCEROR that he prepared better than the theatrical release.

Unfortunately, a lot of people use Pan and Scan as a generic term for all fullscreen releases. That is not the case.
Old 09-10-03, 01:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by moviezzz
To clarify a little, when a film is released full screen on DVD, it is a case of one of three things happening: ...
I appreciate the clarification. Are there any sites on the internet -- and, if not, are there other sources -- where one could learn (a) what the original format of a film was; and (b) what was done to the version released?

As you've noted, pan-and-scan seems to be thrown around loosely; the descriptions one reads in various places are therefore not reliable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.