Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy a DVD Laser Lens Cleaner?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DVD player is having mucho layer change-o problems & I bought a cd laser lens cleaner but it wouldn't work in my DVD player (Sony Psych) I remember seeing a DVD Laser Lens cleaner at Wal-Mart (I think) for like $15, but they are no longer available there. Does anyone know a place online that might sell them
Old 09-07-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Look on this page... there's several to choose from:

Best Buy
Old 09-07-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks TomOpus. I was going to say any national chain should have them including CompUSA.

Wal*Mart's goofy in areas such as this. I know.... I used to work for them.
Old 09-07-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I was just being lazy.
Old 09-07-03, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would not use one or recommend one to anyone. if you read your manual that comes with your dvd player odds are it says DO NOT USE A LENS CLEANER. For very good reason, the reason being not to use one is it will void your warranty and may destroy your dvd players lens for good... :-(

Take your dvd player in for service and get it done right and don't waste any money on this cheap solution, in most cases if you use your dvd player properly you should never need one. IE make sure your discs are alwasy clean and have nothing on them.

Remember your player is never in any real contact with your dvd discs. that little laser does it's job right. the lens picks up what the laser is reflecting back to the pickup. so there is no real reason your lens should get dirty. this may be a problem with your player and not have anything to do with the lens at all, who knows but this is a cheap come on used by sales man at stereo stores to up sell a person into needing a lens cleaner and worse yet a extended warranty come on speech. Don't beleave it for one second.

I still have cd players from the yearly 80's that still work because I alwasy made sure the player didn't ever read dusty discs. I even opened it up one day to dust it out after almost 15 or so years later there was no dust in side to be found.

So don't waste your money. save it and get it repaird the right way or buy a new dvd player is your best bet. your not dealing with dirty heads anymore.