Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Family Guy Volume 2...3 disc set selling at 4 disc price???

Old 09-07-03, 04:14 AM

Has anyone else noticed that Family Guy Volume 2 will be selling for $35.99 in stores ($49.99 MSRP) for the three disc set, which is roughly the same price as the four disc Family Guy Volume 1, Simpsons Season 3, and Futurama Volume 2 sets were when they came out?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it, since I beleve it is still quite a bargain for the "sweet" content on the discs. It just seems weird to me.

The Futurama Volume 1 and King Of The Hill Volume 1 were 3 disc sets and sold for under $30 in most stores ($39.98 MSRP).

Mabye because this set has 22 episodes?
Old 09-07-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a season. they have to stick to a certain average based on that per season price or else it would be harder to figure out how much to sell ___ at.
Old 09-07-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They could sell it at $70. It's the Family Guy. We'd all still buy it.
Old 09-07-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering about this issue too. It does seem a bit steep for only a 3-disk set.
Old 09-07-03, 09:39 AM

It is a little odd that Family Guy didn't get a price reduction for the Volume 2 set, but I'm MORE than fine with it.

Family Guy: Volume 1 (28 episodes, 4 discs) - $49.98
Family Guy: Volume 2 (22 episodes, 3 discs) - $49.98
Owning the entire Family Guy Series on DVD - PRICELESS
Old 09-07-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Family Guy Volume 2...3 disc set selling at 4 disc price???

Originally posted by danganet
Has anyone else noticed that Family Guy Volume 2 will be selling for $35.99 in stores ($49.99 MSRP) for the three disc set, which is roughly the same price as the four disc Family Guy Volume 1, Simpsons Season 3, and Futurama Volume 2 sets were when they came out?

Hey, they have to pay those censors somehow. Those Osama bin Laden scenes don't cut themselves out, you know.
Old 09-07-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Family Guy Volume 2...3 disc set selling at 4 disc price???

Originally posted by Jason
Hey, they have to pay those censors somehow. Those Osama bin Laden scenes don't cut themselves out, you know.
Jebus cripes! Threadcrap much?

People were talking about the price, not the supposed "censoring."

But, since you bring this up, I suggest that you first research this issue and you would find out that the creator of the series was scheduled to fly on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC, but narrowly avoided death because he overslept. He authorized the editing of the episode since it had particular meaning to himself.

Notice how I said editing, I suggest that you invest in a dictionary, because it can only be censoring if the government does it. If Rupert Murdoch or the creator of Family Guy were to do it, it's editing, they own it.
Old 09-07-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Family Guy Volume 2...3 disc set selling at 4 disc price???

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Jebus cripes! Threadcrap much?

People were talking about the price, not the supposed "censoring."

But, since you bring this up, I suggest that you first research this issue and you would find out that the creator of the series was scheduled to fly on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC, but narrowly avoided death because he overslept. He authorized the editing of the episode since it had particular meaning to himself.

Notice how I said editing, I suggest that you invest in a dictionary, because it can only be censoring if the government does it. If Rupert Murdoch or the creator of Family Guy were to do it, it's editing, they own it.
Exactamundo!
Old 09-07-03, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
They could sell it at $70. It's the Family Guy. We'd all still buy it.
Don't say that too loud... they might be listening!
Old 09-07-03, 03:58 PM

A bit odd that you advise another to research when, if you had, you'd find out that Seth MacFarland has said on many occasions that he wanted the joke to stay in.
Old 09-07-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Re: Family Guy Volume 2...3 disc set selling at 4 disc price???

Originally posted by Imodium
A bit odd that you advise another to research when, if you had, you'd find out that Seth MacFarland has said on many occasions that he wanted the joke to stay in.
Ive heard otherwise. Do you have a link?
Old 09-07-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the creator of the series was scheduled to fly on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC, but narrowly avoided death because he was too drunk to get to the airport on time.
Old 09-07-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just checked the Costco site and they list it at $34.99, so I may go there to get it.

I was there today and they had Simpsons Season 3 for $32.99.
Old 09-07-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crocker,

I will meet you halfway and say that he was very drunk, and overslept .
Old 09-07-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I suggest you do research before attacking others for not doing research.

I noticed "Road to Rhode Island"...there's some footage missing; an Osama bin Laden joke was cut.

There was some debate over that. I kinda stayed out of that debate because I didn't really have a strong opinion one way or the other. There are arguments for keeping it in and arguments for taking it out. The argument to keep it in is that's how the show aired and it was broadcast this way and it aired two years before September 11, and so there's a bit of entertainment historical value there. And obviously the argument for taking it out was that because it was one of the biggest tragedies, there was some thought that it might bring down the rest of the episode when that comes up. There was some thought at one point of putting it on separately at the end, and that was really...I guess it was a legal decision that Fox made to leave it out. It's unfortunate in that it's a part of the episode that was produced and was aired and is sort of gone forever, but it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/articles/seth.cfm

Fortunately, it is not "gone forever" [God Bless the Internet].

And there were two other things censored from the S1 eps. Of those two things, one is still in the R2 version.

Who knows what else might be censored from S1,2,3 that we donít know about.
Old 09-07-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I suppose if you really, really, absolutely, positively, love the joke you can watch the episode on your computer in divx form.

I tend to agree with Seth, it's a small loss in the grand scheme of things. I really like my DVD, and it doesn't decrease the value of the set greatly.
Old 09-07-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I suppose if you really, really, absolutely, positively, love the joke you can watch the episode on your computer in divx form.
Or VCD. And it's REALLY funny.
Old 09-07-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Getting back to the topic at hand, I didn't realize this was only a 3-disc set until this thread was started. I just assumed it was 4 discs. Surprised FOX didn't put a lower MSRP on it, But doesn't matter much to me, as I'm getting it for $19.xx shipped from Amazon, with STL, trivia nickels, a coupon, and a GC.

Now I'm curious why this (with 22 episodes) is 3 discs, but Futurama Vol. 2 (with 19 episodes) was 4 discs (and same MSRP).
Old 09-07-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott27
Getting back to the topic at hand, I didn't realize this was only a 3-disc set until this thread was started. I just assumed it was 4 discs. Surprised FOX didn't put a lower MSRP on it, But doesn't matter much to me, as I'm getting it for $19.xx shipped from Amazon, with STL, trivia nickels, a coupon, and a GC.

Now I'm curious why this (with 22 episodes) is 3 discs, but Futurama Vol. 2 (with 19 episodes) was 4 discs (and same MSRP).
I have it pre-ordered at Amazon.com for $27.99 (no GC), and I think this is a case of Fox jacking fans.
Old 09-07-03, 10:04 PM

Aren't you going to apologize for being a sarcastic jerk?
Old 09-08-03, 12:01 AM

I hope to afford it soon.. I worship the first set, and can't wait to dive in deeper.

Though the animation 'errors' on the first set were very very noticeable to me.

With the dvds finding quite an audience on dvd (FG set 1), I don't see why the price couldn't have been lower to increase sales.

And Ninja... you really might want to qualify your question.
Old 09-08-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
I'd guess that Futurama was on more discs because of the audio commentaries on every episode.
Old 09-11-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I'd always been wanting to buy the Family Guy DVDs and at Best Buy today, I broke down on their deal...$30.99 for each set, plus using my Reward Zone card got me an extra $5 off.

Not a bad deal...looking forward to watching these....which set (or seasons) is better?
Old 09-11-03, 06:07 PM

What the duece are you all crying about. I do say, go out and buy the damn family guy dvd and watch it and die laughing! GO CYBORG!
Old 09-11-03, 07:01 PM

I was a little down at the price tag, but I love this show and it was worth the money, so no biggie.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.