DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What do you look forward to most when you buy a DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/316148-what-do-you-look-forward-most-when-you-buy-dvd.html)

SleepyW 09-06-03 10:54 PM

What do you look forward to most when you buy a DVD?

I have my own little ritual when I get one in the mail or come home from the store. I unwrap it, peel off the stickers, enter the movie info into my PDA's DVD file program, go online and add it to DVD Aficianado, then file it on my shelf. I think I look forward most to filing it on my shelf to see what it lies between, or look at how many other movies I have with the actors in it, etc. All in all, I like to see that my collection has gotten bigger.

I HATE peeling off all the darn stickers. That'd be least favorite. I imagine with some people's huge collections, their least fave thing would be filing it on a shelf.

nodoubt 09-06-03 11:03 PM

just a little obessed? :)

gutwrencher 09-06-03 11:03 PM

Re: What do you look forward to most when you buy a DVD?

Originally posted by SleepyW
I imagine with some people's huge collections, their least fave thing would be filing it on a shelf.
wrong...thats one of my fav things to do. I dont dislike any aspect of collecting dvds. if I did...I should consider another hobby. if I did have to frown upon something...it's how incomplete my library is. I have well over 1,200 titles and I'm still missing hundreds of films.

SleepyW 09-06-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by nodoubt
just a little obessed? :)
:hscratch: -confused-

Considering you have about as many DVDs as I have, also log them in DVD Aficionado, and I assume peel off the stickers and file them on a shelf somewhere, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Because I do it in a certain order? It's hard to read the length, actor's names, special features, etc. to enter into my PDA while the movie is on a shelf. :)

snorlaxnut 09-06-03 11:23 PM

What do I look forward to most when I buy a DVD?

Just watching a movie. When I buy one, I just want to get home, quick check to see if the disc has nothing wrong with it, and just watch it.

zwuncki 09-07-03 05:08 AM

all the stuff mentioned. from getting it, packing it out, enter the dvd to the profiler and watching the movie.

Tarantino 09-07-03 06:10 AM

If it's a movie that I've seen and liked, it's probably watching the extras.

lisadoris 09-07-03 06:44 AM

I do the same things you do SleepyW (though I sometimes forget to add titles to my PDA right away) but I just look forward to finding time to watch the movie.

marty888 09-07-03 08:04 AM

It's about the movie ... for some reason, when I get a new DVD, it's because I want to watch the movie. And listen to the commentary. And check out the other extras.

I'm a movie-lover, not an accountant or bookkeeper.

What I <i>least</i> look forward to is seeing the purchase show up on my credit card bill.

nodoubt 09-07-03 08:10 AM

Originally posted by SleepyW
:hscratch: -confused-

Considering you have about as many DVDs as I have, also log them in DVD Aficionado, and I assume peel off the stickers and file them on a shelf somewhere, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Because I do it in a certain order? It's hard to read the length, actor's names, special features, etc. to enter into my PDA while the movie is on a shelf. :)

just kidding, man :) i do almost the same thing as u do. im sure everyone here is a little obsessed :D

wordtoyamotha 09-07-03 10:24 AM

Just watching the dvd is all I look forward to once I buy it. Although I have to admit I like seeking out the best price and the process of buying the dvd as well.

spankasmurf 09-07-03 10:30 AM

Originally posted by nodoubt
just kidding, man :) i do almost the same thing as u do. im sure everyone here is a little obsessed :D
"ssss.....myyyy....preeeeccccciiiiiooooouuuuusssss"

spartanstew 09-07-03 03:50 PM

It depends on the movie. If it's a movie I'm really familiar with, then I look forward to the extras. If it's a movie I've never seen (or maybe once a long time ago), I look forward to the movie. If it's a movie I've seen many times, then I look forward to entering it into profiler and filing it.

Stew

JuryDuty 09-07-03 04:07 PM

I look most forward to deleted scenes and outtakes, but what I really love is great sound.

And, just for the record, when I get a new DVD, I love updating my lists, too. ;)

SteveL 09-07-03 04:41 PM

No ritual here, although I DO hate all the stickers. Especially when peeling them off starts to stretch the clear vinyl layer on the case.

I need to add a filing step to my purchase/view process though, I almost bought on eyesterday that we already have. It'll happen sooner or later; my wife's already done it with music CDs.

eiker_ir 09-07-03 05:08 PM

the thing i'm looking forward the most when i buy a DVD is to watch it as soon as i get home. And maybe checking some extras after watching it.

i hate taking out the security stickers, specially when there are 3 on the case. But i like sticking the stickers in my bedroom door :D

boc4ever 09-07-03 10:17 PM

Usually deleted scenes and outtakes...

mike45 09-07-03 10:26 PM

Anticipation

karnblack 09-07-03 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
If it's a movie that I've seen and liked, it's probably watching the extras.
Ditto.

I also look forward to watching the film. I usually watch the film before the special features on a blind buy.

The thing I look forward to least when I buy a DVD:

Seeing a better version come out at a lower price soon after I buy a DVD. Oh well, if the upgrade is worth it I'll just give the old DVD to my sister's family.

hleelily 09-07-03 11:36 PM

If I get a new dvd in the mail, I usually put the disc into my computer's dvdrom and copy the whole dvd files to test if there is anything wrong with the disc. It may take about 15 minutes for a 7-8G disc. I think it is a good idea if you don't have time to watch the movie.

SideShow 09-07-03 11:49 PM

Opening is always addiction-like fun, unless it's security stickers on cardboard...

Then I look at the special features to see what's there, watch a few if I've seen the movie before, maybe watch a trailer then the movie- which is my favorite part. Especially if there's a commentary, I love me some good commentaries. It's a instant rewatchability factor.

PalmerJoss 09-08-03 07:43 AM

My little ritual is pretty much this: unwrap the disc, check the disc for scratches, pop it in and watch the trailer for the film and then watch the movie. After that I may or may not rewatch it with a commentary track on(if available).

Kromax 09-08-03 07:52 AM

Two words: animated menus.

matome 09-08-03 08:04 AM

First thing I do is unwrap the DVD and catalog it into my various databases/websites. I usually file them away on my shelves once a week, since I have quite a few and would rather do a weeks worth of purchases than each one as it arrives since it requires a lot of shifting.

Groucho 09-08-03 08:19 AM

I look forward to coming here and bragging that I got it before street date.