Fargo: SE, new transfer or not?

Old 09-06-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fargo: SE, new transfer or not? DVD Talk reviewer says no

I just read James Powell's DVD review of Fargo: Special Edition. The review stated that this release has the same transfer as the original MGM release. Is that true? According to other posts (like this one), it was supposed to have a new transfer. What's going on?

Last edited by vivarey; 09-06-03 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-06-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got me.... but I'll still be picking it up later this month.
Old 09-06-03, 12:21 PM

It's also going to be a DVD-18, with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. Kind of a let down.
Old 09-06-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by KTIK
It's also going to be a DVD-18, with widescreen on one side and fullscreen on the other. Kind of a let down.
Why is that disappointing? I'd be disappointed if they were on the same side of the platter. I could care less if full-screen is included on othe other side, I never watch it anyway.
Old 09-06-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"MGM presents Fargo in its original 1.85:1 aspect ratio, enhanced for widescreen televisions (you also get a full frame version on the other side of the disc). This is the same transfer as the last MGM release, which is fine since itís a great transfer."

Great transfer? Um... Yeah... OK.

Well, if this is true, no new transfer, then I see no reason to pick this up. I could care less about the extras.
Old 09-06-03, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
Why is that disappointing? I'd be disappointed if they were on the same side of the platter. I could care less if full-screen is included on othe other side, I never watch it anyway.
I'm not a big fan of DVD-18s, and would prefer that there was no Fullframe side. Which is why I am a bit disappointed.
Old 09-06-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't love double-sided discs myself, but what will make or break this purchase is the transfer.
Old 09-06-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks to this thread, I spent the last hour looking over the new FARGO DVD in comparison with the MGM version released a few years ago. Upon very close inspection, I did notice that the new DVD does indeed have a new transfer. Although very similar, the new DVD has slightly better color, particularly the blacks, which are much nicer here.

For example, one improvement is found in the first few moments of Chapter 4. Several specks of white are seen as the car moves across the screen (check the lower right corner, just above the car). These specks are most definitely not on the new transfer. As far as I could tell, these specks are found occassionally throughout the old version and donít exist on the new one.

Also, when the Bunyon statue and Brainerd sign comes into view the night of the kidnapping, the sky is a slightly better dark black on the new transfer, and the red of Bunyonís shirt seems a nicer, too.

Iíd say that if the specks (or compression...less halo effect here) look bad on your TV when watching the other DVD, then upgrade to this one. But if not, or if you donít care about the extras, then save your money. This transfer is definitely better, but only those with a critical eye (or an hour to spare) will notice the difference.

I have noted this change on the review. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Last edited by James W. Powell; 09-06-03 at 02:04 PM.