DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Kids in the Hall Season 1 set coming to DVD, WITH fans' input on extras! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315960-kids-hall-season-1-set-coming-dvd-fans-input-extras.html)

Scott27 09-05-03 09:40 PM

Kids in the Hall Season 1 set coming to DVD, WITH fans' input on extras!

2nd consecutive night with surprising news of a season 1 set from TVShowsonDVD.com (last night was Gilligan's Island):

The BIG News!
9/05/2003

Well, I had intended on posting this awhile ago (I didn't want to leave people wondering for too long), but deadlines slipped on getting the other site up and running...and it's still not up.

The reaction to our "Big News" has been rather interesting. Most people assumed the news was going to be a show coming to DVD, and while there is an unreleased show involved, "I don't think a single show would warrant a teaser like this...not even Seinfeld."

As we posted before, the announcement has less to do with the show, and more to do with how it's being released. Humor me for a moment while I try and explain. Walk over to your DVD rack and pick up your favorite box set. Come on...just do it. What if you were given the opportunity to help influence the set you're holding in your hands, would you have suggested something that wasn't on the set?

Broadway Video Enterprises is giving fans the chance to speak up and tell them exactly what they want on a Kids in the Hall: Season One DVD release. Fans will be able to register on a special site and be put on a list of people to be notified when the DVD is available for purchase, but they will also be able to fill out a survey and the results of that survey will help shape the DVD release. While there have been a couple of TV sets that have had surveys created to gauge interest, this will take it one step further. There will be production updates posted on the website so fans can follow the progress of the set. There will be a forum for discussion about the DVD set and many ideas will come from that. This will truely be a set created for the fans. Obviously not every idea will make it into the final product, but instead of input from a team of 5 or 6 people, the set will contain the input of thousands of fans.

So why are we posting the news here? Remember back in April 2002 when we announced that we were partnering with Dry Grass Partners to help bring niche TV shows to DVD? Well, this is the first one we're involved in. We'll be working directly on the DVD release of the show and marketing it online. We're working with Kids in the Hall fans to help make this the best release possible. In fact I (Gord) am leaving for NYC tommorrow morning (Sat) to spend the early part of next week meeting the team at Broadway Video Enterprises to discuss the project.

So the big news is that a company is willing to listen to the fans of a show and use their knowledge to create an awesome set. If this set is a success who knows what will be next....maybe it'll be one of your favorites. Even if you aren't a fan of Kids in the Hall I hope you're excited by the news...because your favorite unreleased show could be next!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=644

RyoHazuki 09-05-03 09:47 PM

Nice.

Copenhagen 09-05-03 09:49 PM

Finally :)

SideShow 09-05-03 09:58 PM

Oh my gosh, my dream is finally coming true. Praise the chicken lady!

the narrator 09-05-03 10:01 PM

awesome news...can't wait

malkmuz 09-05-03 10:11 PM

Yayy!

mrcoaster 09-05-03 10:17 PM

I liked the Kids, but I'm not sure I'll pick up the DVDs. This fan input thing is a pretty good deal though. Such a thing could push me over the edge to go ahead and buy the discs.

Johnny Zhivago 09-05-03 10:21 PM

Geeze louise! ANOTHER must buy for me! Sweet! :up:

FranksAndBeans 09-06-03 02:56 AM

Originally posted by mrcoaster
I liked the Kids, but I'm not sure I'll pick up the DVDs.
"I'm CRUSHING your head!!!"

movieking 09-06-03 06:06 AM

I can't believe that this is going to be released. I have all of the episodes on tape, and I figured that there was no way in hell that it would ever been released on DVD. I figured that there might be a small chance that a best of would be released somewhere along the way.

This, along with Newsradio coming out, makes it a good time to be a Dave Foley fan...

The Exister 09-06-03 12:42 PM

Sweeeeet!

No more worn out VHS tapes with 10 minutes of commercials for each 5 minutes of the Kids!

Finally!

Roberteb 09-06-03 12:44 PM

Let's just hope we don't get the edited, tamed down versions of the series.

Damage 09-06-03 12:46 PM

Excellent news. I only hope it's the uncut CBC version of the show.

"Can you dig it?"

JamesBrian 09-06-03 01:26 PM

I was just sitting here thinking about Tony when I saw this great news.

young 09-06-03 02:13 PM

yay! personally, i found the chicken lady very very disturbing... so disturbing, i found it hilarious! :D

you want uncut, go tell them

movieking 09-06-03 02:24 PM

CBC is actually pretty good about releasing their shows on DVD. I don't know about all of the ownership rights, but shows like The Newsroom and Made In Canada made it to DVD fairly quickly, as did some of their movies (like Trudeau).

DeputyDave 09-06-03 02:25 PM

Great news. This is a ver rewatchable title for me. definate buy.

marty888 09-06-03 02:28 PM

A big :up: for this news!

FamilyGuyFZ 09-06-03 02:42 PM

Woo-Hoo!!!!!
Now I can get some sleep tonight.

Cartload 09-06-03 06:26 PM

Sweet! Don't put salt in your eyes.

Fed-Ex Pope 09-06-03 06:43 PM

Awesome! KItH Season Sets have been one of my holy grails for years...and they are going the "Simpsons route and letting fans chose what they want? This is some of the best DVD news I have got in my life!

Sessa17 09-06-03 09:05 PM

Another guy who is beyond psyched for this. Mr. Show #1, The State #2 & Kids #3 of my all-time comedy holy grails on DVD.

There is hope that the day may yet come, that I have "The Flying Pig" & "The Son of the Flying Pig" on DVD. One of the greatest skits I've ever seen.

Gord Lacey 09-14-03 09:35 PM

The episodes will be the HBO versions, not the CBC ones. There is no choice about this; it's due to legal reasons.

Once we have confirmed specs on the set I'll post more here. "Kids in the Hall" is one of the reasons I started TVShowsOnDVD.com, and I'm excited to be part of the set.

We will be launching te official website soon and people will be able to provide feedback as to what they'd like to see on the set.

Gord
P.S. I can't imagine people are surprised this is coming out. It's a good show with a cult following. Now I must go and sacrifice a flying pig to Hecubus......and Satan!

too much 09-15-03 01:10 AM

Excellent news.

"I just had the pear dream again"

Iron Chef 09-15-03 08:01 AM

Originally posted by too much
Excellent news.

"I just had the pear dream again"

Was Jules there?