DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   any news on a new version of American Psycho? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315955-any-news-new-version-american-psycho.html)

eiker_ir 09-05-03 08:37 PM

any news on a new version of American Psycho?

hi, i remember reading some time ago that a new special edition of American Psycho might be released and was wondering if anyone has any info or something.

Stoney 09-06-03 03:43 AM

I haven't heard anything new since LG put out their re-issue of the R-Rated version.

jarryjayo 09-06-03 02:51 PM

ohh good I was going to buy this on dvd the other day, guess I'll wait. what would the new version offer?

digitalfreaknyc 09-06-03 03:47 PM

Deleted scenes, isolate score and other extras on the international versions.

eiker_ir 09-06-03 04:34 PM

wasn't the current version (Rated & unrated) gonna go OOP? that's why i'm asking cuz i remember reading it here

The Delfonics 09-06-03 05:14 PM

There are 2 Special Editions but they were released in France. I own 2 versions. I have the OOP Unrated version and the Region 2 version because it has Deleted scenes.

garmonbozia 09-08-03 11:20 PM

Originally posted by eiker_ir
wasn't the current version (Rated & unrated) gonna go OOP? that's why i'm asking cuz i remember reading it here
The original Universal/Lion'sGate releases are OOP (both rated and unrated).

The rated version has been re-released by Lion's Gate and is currently available (but not the unrated one).

eiker_ir 09-09-03 12:44 AM

i got one guy who's selling me the Unrated version, you guys think i should get it now? or wait?

garmonbozia 09-09-03 12:48 AM

If I were you I would get it now. Since the Lion's Gate re-release was just a few weeks/months ago (and it was just a repacking of the old edited disc), I don't expect another Region 1 release any time soon.

Skank 09-09-03 01:30 AM

I would like a commentary or two on a new release.

vivarey 09-09-03 10:35 AM

I'm still waiting for the unrated Rules of Attraction w/all those commentaries (Avary, Van Der Beek and Ellis ) that were recorded.

eiker_ir 09-10-03 10:54 PM

quick question, what are the different running times for the R and Unrated edition of AP?

djtoell 09-10-03 11:01 PM

Originally posted by eiker_ir
quick question, what are the different running times for the R and Unrated edition of AP?
The difference between the two versions is a matter of seconds. While the R-rated version removes some footage, it replaces that footage with alternate footage, giving both versions about the same running time. Universal listed the running time as "1 Hr. 43 Mins." on the backs of both releases.

DJ

eiker_ir 09-10-03 11:03 PM

that's what confused me, thanks, i'm gonna get me the Unrated version now.

digitalfreaknyc 09-11-03 09:11 AM

so it replaces the BJ footage with what other footage?? i only saw the R-rated version the first time i saw the movie in theaters.

I've owned the DVD and saw the unrated version in theaters since then.

Lovitz 09-11-03 11:07 AM

Another difference is that Bateman says " ******* " instead of " ass " in the Unrated version.

Also, a shot is re-framed when Bateman kills Paul Allen, in the uncut version you can see more blood and brain bits on the floor when he sits down and lights a cigar.

digitalfreaknyc 09-11-03 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Lovitz
Another difference is that Bateman says " ******* " instead of " ass " in the Unrated version.

Not true. I have the unrated version and just watched it. He only says "ass" in all american versions.

He says "ass hole" in the international version.

The Delfonics 09-11-03 11:41 AM

The international versions though, also cut about 8 minutes out.

djtoell 09-11-03 10:19 PM

Originally posted by The Delfonics
The international versions though, also cut about 8 minutes out.
Which international versions would these be? All of the ones I know of are uncut. Perhaps you're confused by the difference in the speed of PAL video. The PAL video standard (used through Europe and Australia, for example) runs at 25fps, and film-based material (usually shot in 24fps) runs approximately 4.166% faster in PAL. For example, American Psycho's running time is about 103 minutes. 103 minutes sped up by 4.166% is about 98 minutes. And, lo and behold, the UK DVD runs at 98 minutes. Nothing is cut, the speeds are just different.

DJ