DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   I wish they'd put some of the Superbowls on DVD. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315793-i-wish-theyd-put-some-superbowls-dvd.html)

Chewie of Borg 09-05-03 02:52 AM

I wish they'd put some of the Superbowls on DVD.

That'd be great. I'd love to see commentaries with both the coaches and/or players. Also, it may add considerably to the price but I'd want to also see the National and American league championship games. And as far as Superbowl XX goes, you'd have to put in the Superbowl Shuffle. It will never happen, but I can hope.

immortal_zeus 09-05-03 03:52 AM

Interesting idea, but I don't think it'll happen. I don't think many people outside of the fans of the winning team would buy the DVD. Heck, I'm not even sure how many fans of the winning team would buy the DVD. I think it'd be a pretty small market. I especially don't think we'd have coach's commentaries, but it'd be trippy if there were.

"Doesn't Jim look terrible in that headband? He was about 15 years before his time and in the wrong sport to be wearing that thing."

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

Spooky 09-05-03 04:34 AM

The Super Bowl XXXVII DVD has every single play from the game on it (minus all the action that happened in between the plays), but it's actually horrible to watch. The footage is not the broadcast TV footage, and the announcers are not the TV announcers, but radio announcers.

I agree - I'd like to see Super Bowl DVDs with the original uncut broadcast footage. But I also agree that this will probably never come to pass since there isn't much demand for it. Heck, I'd like to have box sets of the best uncut World Series games too!

TomOpus 09-05-03 06:54 AM

I'd be interested in a Director's Cut with alternate ending :)

Ari77 09-05-03 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
The Super Bowl XXXVII DVD has every single play from the game on it (minus all the action that happened in between the plays), but it's actually horrible to watch. The footage is not the broadcast TV footage, and the announcers are not the TV announcers, but radio announcers.

I agree - I'd like to see Super Bowl DVDs with the original uncut broadcast footage. But I also agree that this will probably never come to pass since there isn't much demand for it. Heck, I'd like to have box sets of the best uncut World Series games too!

In addition, it was broadcast in HD (widescreen) (and it looked awesome), yet the DVD is fullscreen!

TK-421 09-05-03 09:57 AM

This is about as good as it will get for you:
http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...9528&meta_id=3

It's not too bad, I got it for free from the NFL for some promotion.

teddydogg 09-05-03 10:05 AM

Actually if the just put some of the greatest games on Dvd I would be plenty happy like that monday night football game between the Jets and Miami that had to be one of the best games I have ever seen I would love to have that game!

Jack's Smirking 09-05-03 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Spooky
The Super Bowl XXXVII DVD has every single play from the game on it (minus all the action that happened in between the plays), but it's actually horrible to watch.
This isn't accurate. It has a good deal of the plays, and I believe does include at least one play from every series, but it doesn't have all of the action. As far as being horrible to watch, I guess we just have a different perspective of it.

They do use the radio announcers' play-by-play, but they switch back and forth between the Bucs and the Raiders announcers, which is kind of interesting in that it gives the different perspective on each series from the opposing camps.

Upper pylon 3 09-05-03 11:01 AM

Originally posted by TomOpus
I'd be interested in a Director's Cut with alternate ending :)
:lol:

DJLinus 09-05-03 01:00 PM

I don't know if it was just a regional release here in Ohio, but the 2003 Fiesta Bowl is out on DVD and in widescreen. So I guess there is somewhat of a market for football on DVD.

chanster 09-05-03 01:40 PM

what about maurice clarett's greatest hits DVD?

Mutley Hyde 09-05-03 01:46 PM

I've actually got one SB on NFL films video tape of the Steelers, I forget the other team, it's ben so long since I checked it out. No clue where it's originally from (it's in an ugly brown clamshell with a generic, printed NFL Films label slipped in an acrylic pocket thingie). I don;t think it was meant for 'public consumption'.

The Third Jake 09-05-03 01:54 PM

Originally posted by teddydogg
Actually if the just put some of the greatest games on Dvd I would be plenty happy like that monday night football game between the Jets and Miami that had to be one of the best games I have ever seen I would love to have that game!
I think you mean one of the worst games you've ever seen. Ugh.

;) (obviously, I'm a Dolphins fan)

Tarantino 09-05-03 03:32 PM

I'd buy into a 'Greatest Games' series. Maybe put select games on DVD with glimpses into the team rivalries, season highlights, ect.

I'd like to see the Immaculate Reception - maybe a Raiders/Steelers Rivalry disc or something.

sn9ke_eyes 09-05-03 03:50 PM

Originally posted by The Third Jake
I think you mean one of the worst games you've ever seen. Ugh.

;) (obviously, I'm a Dolphins fan)

that's what I was thinking, no way I would ever watch that game again. too painfull

Dakota388 09-05-03 04:49 PM

dj linus, are you sure it is widescreen. the only one I could find was fullscreen

whotony 09-05-03 09:02 PM

i would love to buy entire sporting events, games on dvd.
the phillies have a dvd of millwood's no-hitter but it is only hi-lites, not the entire game.

Johnny Zhivago 09-05-03 10:25 PM

Gimme' the 5 Niners games and I'm there. No brainer, slam dunk, take my cash. Please.

GMLSKIS 09-05-03 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Gimme' the 5 Niners games and I'm there. No brainer, slam dunk, take my cash. Please.
Me Too !!!

DJLinus 09-05-03 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Dakota388
dj linus, are you sure it is widescreen. the only one I could find was fullscreen
Oops! My bad. I could've sworn it was in widescreen, but I don't have a copy and have never viewed anyone else's. Looks like you're right. Sorry - I just kind of figured it was in widescreen.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/chstuff_1751_9137556

The Cow 09-05-03 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Dakota388
I have it too and you are correct, it is only available in fullscreen.

No extras either.

For those interested that are not in Ohio, it is available (website addy from the DVD) at www.osudvd.com

They also have a DVD of the 1968 Buckeyes available on that site. I haven't picked that one up yet...

wildcatlh 09-05-03 11:24 PM

First of all, that Monday Night Jets-Dolphins game was just a figment of all of our imaginations. It never really happened. It couldn't have.

And the 2003 NCAA (basketball) championship game is on DVD.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Grandmaster C 09-06-03 03:56 AM

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
Me Too !!!
Me three!!! :up:

TheKing 09-06-03 06:13 AM

Can't leave out the biggest and best sports story of last year.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/productimages/front/28573.jpg

I'd love to have all 7 games on DVD in their entirety...especially since I was at 4 of the games in person.

Of course, I can understand the limited appeal that would have. I guess that's what ESPN Classic is for...

dentam 09-06-03 07:05 AM

Originally posted by chanster
what about maurice clarett's greatest hits DVD?
I had this DVD! Unfortunately, I had it in the back of a car I was borrowing from a friend of mine, and the car was stolen. The worst part was that it was an OOP disc valued at $1300!!!