DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   4 Angel Season 2's later... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315694-4-angel-season-2s-later.html)

HotThang 09-04-03 05:17 PM

4 Angel Season 2's later...

Ugh! I am usually not one to complain but...I had to go through 4 Angel Season 2's before I could find one where discs 1&2 weren't loose and badly marred! 2 different Best Buys, as well! The same thing happened with Season 1 but I lucked up when the 2nd one that I opened turned out to be perfect. Anyways, hope nobody else had this issue. I would definitely open them in the store/car to avoid having to take them back, just in case!

Sam

MasterofDVD 09-04-03 07:28 PM

Glad I didn't read this before my set arrived or I would of been worrying about it.

My set came in great condition on the outside and when it was opened everything was in order. Now if all the episodes play I'll be very happy.

I'm glad that even after my posts in the Angel Widescreen thread that I decided to buy it after all. The episodes so far are great and the widescreen looks amazing. It gets a big thumbs up.

Bright Cucumber 09-04-03 08:09 PM

Wow....I guess i'm "lucky".....only the first disk was scratched on my set. I got it from Costco...so it was packaged in that big plastic thingy....but I guess that extra packaging didn't really help.

Tazwolff 09-04-03 09:17 PM

I went through 5 Babylon 5 Season 3 sets before I got one that was good. On the fifth one, I swaped out all the good discs from the replacement and gave the Best Buy Smurf the one with all the bad discs. It was the Smurfs' idea so I wouldn't have to come back. Best idea I ever heard out of a Smurf. :)

movielib 09-04-03 09:20 PM

Re: 4 Angel Season 2's later...

The packaging used for the Angel and Buffy sets in R1 has to be the worst ever. My Buffy S4 set and my Angel S1 and S2 sets all had a loose disc #2. We've had threads on this problem before; it's been going on a long time. And yet Fox keeps using the same packaging.:hscratch:

Tegid1977 09-04-03 09:23 PM

It took me 2 tries. I had heard everyones horror stories about going through several boxes before getting a good set but never experienced it for myself. But after getting it all straightened out I have been very pleased with the purchase. I never saw Season 2 on TV so didnt know what to expect especially after hearing everyone say how it was a departure from the 1st season which I frankly loved. but its still great. Keep em coming

Quake1028 09-04-03 10:07 PM

Took me 3 sets of Buffy Season 4 to get one where disc 2 wasn't scratched to hell.

Cornelius1047 09-04-03 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Tazwolff
I went through 5 Babylon 5 Season 3 sets before I got one that was good. On the fifth one, I swaped out all the good discs from the replacement and gave the Best Buy Smurf the one with all the bad discs. It was the Smurfs' idea so I wouldn't have to come back. Best idea I ever heard out of a Smurf. :)
Hey! I resemble that remark!! :banana:

K

spainlinx0 09-04-03 11:43 PM

I really hate this packaging. It's so annoying to have to unfold so much to get to the outer discs. My 1&2 discs were loose, but they are playing fine so I don't really care. I'm too lazy to worry about that stuff.

costanza187 09-05-03 06:47 AM

Now Im worried mine will be damaged when it gets here

PalmerJoss 09-05-03 06:56 AM

My #2 disc was also loose so I checked it in my player when I got home and it(thankfully)played fine.j I agree with you spainlinx that the packaging sucks. I wish Fox would start using the same packaging as they do for Family Guy and Futurama on their other tv boxed sets.

matome 09-05-03 07:42 AM

I was lucky. My preordered set arrived fine.

Zodiac_Speaking 09-05-03 09:45 AM

I bought it and opened it in my car. Scratched disc 1. Opened another at the return center at BB, and scratched disc 6, so we flipped them. But disc 1 on the second one was loose with a few tiny little scratches, but it played wonderfully, so I'll keep it.

Returns:
Buffy S3 x2
Buffy S4 once
Angel S2 x2

AAArrrrggghhh, this is getting out of hand, especially with 3 more Buffys and Angels (if you included S5).

vivarey 09-05-03 09:48 AM

Is this the same packaging as 24: Season One? If so, I have similar problems with discs 1 & 2 constantly popping out of the poorly molded plastic.

cerial442 09-05-03 12:14 PM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I wish Fox would start using the same packaging as they do for Family Guy and Futurama on their other tv boxed sets.
Yeah but then people would complain that the sets don't line up properly.

sq240 09-05-03 07:59 PM

My Angel Season 2 was messed up also. Discs one and two both loose with the center tab for disc two crushed.. Box was also smashed in on one corner.. Amazon has another on the way.

Jason

Bluebomber 09-05-03 10:18 PM

Got mine from Amazon with no problems, one of the lucky ones that hasn't gotten horribly scratched buffy or angel sets, of course with that said I expect season 5 of Buffy to be scratched to hell.

Lil' Penny 09-06-03 11:18 PM

I just got season 2 and disc 2 on mine is thrashed from Amazon =(

~LP

otmetrud 09-07-03 09:16 AM

I've never gotten a bad Buffy or Angel set. Never a floater or a scratched disc. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

ugabuga 09-07-03 10:30 AM

add me to the list. I opened my Angel box set 2 and both disc 1 and 2 completely out and scratched to hell grrr. Damn this packaging like others same problems with Buffy sets now i have to make yet ANOTHER run to BB grrrrrr.

darkside 09-07-03 01:26 PM

I've had terrible luck with both Buffy and Angel. Angel season 2 had a loose disc, but luckily it was unscratched. I've gone through the mix and match at Best Buy several times in the past though.

I really wish Fox would start using the same packaging as Futurama for all of their box sets. Its much easier to take a disc with you instead of the whole set and it protects the disc much better. I like the looks of the packaging on Buffy and Angel, but having to return it several times to get unscratched discs is getting to be a real drag. They could just put a slip cover on it like Futurama has and it will match the earlier box sets on the shelf.

Bitgod 09-07-03 05:05 PM

UGH, glad I read this thread, I'd forgotten about my fiasco with Angel 1 and hadn't checked my discs yet. My #1 and 2 are scratched too. I was really on the fence about buying season 2 because I wanted to try to cut back on spending and was going to be buying Alias and 24, but I bought Angel anyway. Guess I'll just trade it in for 24 on Tuesday if they don't have any replacement Angels, I'm tired of playing find the magic set, they really need to get that problem fixed.

ugabuga 09-07-03 09:05 PM

Now i am annoyed so i go back to BB today have to go through 5 different sets to get a somewhat clean disc 2. I get home thorw it in watch a few episodes and and i get some artifacting in a few specific spots. Tested on 3 dif dvd players so now once AGAIN i have to go back too BB this is bs.

BigDan 09-07-03 09:28 PM

I had to go through three Buffy: Season 3 sets (at two different Best Buy stores) to get a clean set, but I haven't had any problems with the other three Buffy seasons or with Angel: Season 1 (I don't have S2 yet).

I did have a scratched Simpsons: Season 3 disc, though. I didn't notice it until I went to play the episode and it froze up since the discs were all in place when I opened the packaging (i.e. the disc wasn't a floater). The Best Buy clerk opened up a 2nd package and just gave me the 4th disc from the new package.

Morf 09-08-03 01:45 PM

My discs 1 and 2 were loose, but only the 2nd disc was scratched to hell. I tried to return, but the store was sold out. Guess I'll have to wait.

How can we contact Fox to complain about this? It would be a good idea if we all sent emails/called to complain about the packaging in these sets.