DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Pirates of the Caribbean - Dec. 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315651-pirates-caribbean-dec-2-a.html)

matome 09-04-03 02:00 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dec. 2

Just noticed that DVDPlanet has <b>Pirates of The Caribbean</b> up for preorder as a 2-disc set coming on Dec. 2. They listed the extras as well. No DTS listed, but it could be an oversight. Sounds good anyway!

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...427&format=DVD

Audio/Video Features:

2.35:1, Anamorphic16x9, Widescreen
5.1 Dolby Digital, Surround

Extras:

3 Audio Commentaries:
-Director Gore Verbinski and Star Johnny Depp
-Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Stars Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport
-Writers Stuart Beattie, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio and Jay Wolpert

Making Of; Deleted Scenes; "Moonlight" Scene Progression; Image Gallery; Blooper Reel; Below Deck: An Interactive History Of Pirates.

Rammsteinfan 09-04-03 02:06 PM

Yo-Ho Yo-Ho! A Pirates DVD for me...

I cant wait!!!!! Best movie so far this year I think.

shanester 09-04-03 02:28 PM

This will be a blind buy for me but I've read such good reviews I'm confident I will enjoy it..

Ps. I still can't get over the previews seeing Johnny Depp playing a drunken pirate with eyeliner :D

Rypro 525 09-04-03 02:31 PM

I hope disney releases this movie widescreen only! This movie was shot with panavision lenses and would look horrible in pan and scan. Many movies today being shot in 2:35:1 are being shot using super 35 lenses which makes the movie look better in full screen.

Geofferson 09-04-03 02:37 PM

WooHoo - must buy for myself, Arrrrrrrr. :up:

matome 09-04-03 02:47 PM

Someone had the three commentary track info listed at HTF, so I just updated here.

3 Audio Commentaries:
-Director Gore Verbinski and Star Johnny Depp
-Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Stars Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport
-Writers Stuart Beattie, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio and Jay Wolpert

The Void 09-04-03 02:47 PM

I can't wait for this one. I really hope it has a great transfer and DTS. Everything else is secondary.

zerotl 09-04-03 02:50 PM

Ahoy Matey!!!! I can't wait, crossing fingers for the dts sdtrk.

nodeerforamonth 09-04-03 02:54 PM

Yar! As much as I want to boycott Johnny Depp for his recent retarded comments, I may have to at least rent this!

ianholm 09-04-03 02:54 PM

Sounds great. Can't wait to get my hands on this since it was my fave movie of the year. The blooper reel should be great!

Rammsteinfan 09-04-03 03:02 PM

I want a commentary track w/ Jack Sparrow, not Johnny Depp! :p

Skull 09-04-03 03:02 PM

Can't wait, hopefully there will be a DTS version.

ctyankee 09-04-03 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Skull
Can't wait, hopefully there will be a DTS version.
Do not get your hopes up. This film is rather long clocking in at 2 hours 23 minutes. Add to that three (3) commentary tracks and my guess is that they might be pressed for space to get a DTS track on their as well (besides the 5.1 track).

Too bad, I'd jettison the writer's commentary in a heartbeat for DTS.

Btw, anyone else notice the low volume that theatres played this film? It was noticeably understated. At first I thought it was just that particularly theatre but saw it again in another state and it was the same thing.

I wonder if Di$ney was concerned about kids getting scared and hijacked down the sound? Either way, this will quickly be corrected on my system ...

Groucho 09-04-03 03:22 PM

The volume was just fine at my theater (Dolby set-up). Sounded great.

edytwinky 09-04-03 03:24 PM

Perfect addition to my Christmas list

Rogue588 09-04-03 03:41 PM

Volume was fine here too. I don't think "Di$ney -rolleyes-" has any say on the volume settings of theatres..

BACK on topic..

This is GREAT news man! This is going to be a great fall/winter for DVDs. :up::up:

I just hope there's an insert...

zekeburger1979 09-04-03 04:50 PM

Rogue,

Don't count on a insert. It is from Disney after all. :)

I hope Disney throws a "DVD Release" party for this to attract attention to Johnny Depp, who hopefully will get an Oscar nomination for his wonderful performance as Jack Sparrow.

indianajdp 09-04-03 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588

I think all the releases this week had an insert .... hopefully things are back to normal.

ctyankee 09-04-03 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
Volume was fine here too. I don't think "Di$ney -rolleyes-" has any say on the volume settings of theatres..

BACK on topic..

Studios and sometimes individual directors include notes to the projectionist on correct projection and theatre volume levels. So they have their say. Whether the projectionist pays attention is another question.

Now back on-topic and such important points as inserts.

Bandit03 09-04-03 06:29 PM

Loved this movie! Definately one of the best films this year(right behind Reloaded). I will definately pick this up, but whats the deal with no trailers, I love the trailers for movies.

DavidH 09-04-03 06:43 PM

This was a pretty good movie - but I'm just a dumb puppy, so what do I know. ;)

atari2600 09-04-03 07:00 PM

Arrrrrrrrrrr!

The Bus 09-04-03 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I hope disney releases this movie widescreen only! This movie was shot with panavision lenses and would look horrible in pan and scan. Many movies today being shot in 2:35:1 are being shot using super 35 lenses which makes the movie look better in full screen.
Can you explain further? Your comments intrigue me.

Oh and before I forget...

http://goom.i8.com/money.jpg

TomOpus 09-04-03 07:07 PM

I wonder if they were all set for a single-disc release.... then the weekend boxoffice rolled in.... and a 2-disc set was abruptly greenlit (greenlighted?).

Good for DVD fans of the movie, though. As much as people love to hate Disney, they can sure put out some nice DVDs (most of the time :))

immortal_zeus 09-04-03 07:09 PM

Looking forward to it. :up:

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif