DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Lawrence of Arabia (Superbit) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315580-lawrence-arabia-superbit.html)

otbo 09-04-03 09:07 AM

Lawrence of Arabia (Superbit)

What is the difference between the R1 Superbit release of "Lawrence of Arabia", which obviously is a 2 disc version, and the R2 Superbit release, which is a single disc version? I am a bit confused...

Rypro 525 09-04-03 10:10 AM

the usa superbit was suppervised by the digital bit's own robbert harris and he's made sure the video looks better then any previous releases.

shanester 09-04-03 11:19 AM

Isn't this being released on tuesday the 9th??..Why are there no reviews posted anywhere??..:hscratch:

Jason Bovberg 09-04-03 11:40 AM

Interestingly, the screener has only just now become available to me. It will soon be on its way to me in the mail, and I will review it at my first opportunity for the site. I will be able to perform a comparison between the image quality of the Superbit and the original Limited Edition.

The Bus 09-04-03 07:25 PM

Jason: Nice, because I just found an LE and got it for $27... Hopefully I didn't mess up. :)

bga 09-04-03 07:33 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
Jason: Nice, because I just found an LE and got it for $27... Hopefully I didn't mess up. :)
Ouch. I got it from Columbia House as a enrollment, average cost about $7. Unfortunately, they only carry Superbit releases when it's the only version (like Adaption or Panic Room).

DonnachaOne 09-04-03 08:06 PM

Originally posted by bga
Ouch. I got it from Columbia House as a enrollment, average cost about $7. Unfortunately, they only carry Superbit releases when it's the only version (like Adaption or Panic Room).
'Cept for Charlie's Angels Superbit, oddly enough. Maybe it's just the silver cover...?

Cartload 09-04-03 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Interestingly, the screener has only just now become available to me. It will soon be on its way to me in the mail, and I will review it at my first opportunity for the site. I will be able to perform a comparison between the image quality of the Superbit and the original Limited Edition.
Is there any chance you can let us know at what point in the movie you have to swap discs? I know Robert Harris stated that they might not have been able to fit everything before the intermission on the first disc because of video quality concerns.

Jason Bovberg 09-04-03 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Cartload
Is there any chance you can let us know at what point in the movie you have to swap discs? I know Robert Harris stated that they might not have been able to fit everything before the intermission on the first disc because of video quality concerns.
You bet. I hope to have the review up before release date, but it'll be tight.

Mr. Salty 09-04-03 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
the usa superbit was suppervised by the digital bit's own robbert harris and he's made sure the video looks better then any previous releases.
Just to clarify, Robert Harris is one of the world's leading film restorationists and did the restoration of "Lawrence of Arabia" several years ago.

In recent months he has also written a monthly column for the Gigital Bits. I don't know that I would list the Bits gig as his primary accomplishment.