Community
Search

Available Overseas But Not Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Available Overseas But Not Here

I can't understand why films should be available on DVD overseas but not in the US.

I'm not talking about foreign-made art films, either, but films that are either American-made or, if foreign, have a significant following in this country.

I keep tabs on projected releases, and am finding that films that are already released in other markets (Britain, Australia) are not yet scheduled for release in the US at all.

Can someone tell me the reasons for this? Thanks.
Old 09-03-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know any specific reasons, but I imagine it has to do with rights issues or maybe said movie isn't high on the priority list for DVD release.
Old 09-03-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it 's done like this to encourage bootleggers.
Old 09-03-03, 04:54 PM

Part of the reasoning was that Films are not released for their theatrical run in every country in the world at the same time. So the Region concept was developed to prevent people in say Germany (R2) from importing the R1 DVD of a film that had not had its theatrical run in Germany yet, & possibly killing the theatre attendance. Of course in this "perfect" world there would be no multi-regional DVD players to defeat the Region concept.
Old 09-03-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New movies like 28 Days Later and Bend It Like Beckham I fully understand, but catalogue titles and TV shows have no excuse, IMO. Both should hit the same sides of the pond at the same time. But they don't, and that's why I have a Malata DVD player.
Old 09-03-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Available Overseas But Not Here

Originally posted by Rodney D'Armand
I can't understand why films should be available on DVD overseas but not in the US.

I'm not talking about foreign-made art films, either, but films that are either American-made or, if foreign, have a significant following in this country.

I keep tabs on projected releases, and am finding that films that are already released in other markets (Britain, Australia) are not yet scheduled for release in the US at all.
It's the same for us Brits too you know. There's loads of stuff available in the US that isn't available or even scheduled for release over here when there is a huge market for it.

In actual fact, you guys have a much larger DVD catalogue to us, so I could tell you to quit your whinging

No wonder I import so many Region 1 DVDs....
Old 09-03-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was like that with music for years, and still is....importing them is no big deal. actually, it's kinda cool for collectors. get a region free player and enjoy instead of going without.