DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Saved By The Bell - Couple issues (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315214-saved-bell-couple-issues.html)

SBrooks1 09-02-03 06:19 PM

Saved By The Bell - Couple issues

I bought it from my local Best Buy for $36.99. I got into my car and took off the wide security tape from the top. Well, when I did it took off some of the ink from the front and back of the 5-DVD case. So, I walked right back in and told them what happened and exchanged it for another one. I'm home now and I think I'll use a hair dryer to loosen the glue on the sticker of this new one.

Also I was disappointed to find out that the "real" 1st season of Saved by the Bell with Miss Bliss wasn't included as Season 1 on this DVD set. That season started out on Disney and was called "Good Morning Miss Bliss". Oh well, Season 1 on this set starts with them in the 9th grade and the entire cast that stayed with the show until the end.

Scott :)

Al Padrino 09-02-03 06:35 PM

Yeah, I'm sorta peeved they didn't include that season as well. They've been showing those on TBS lately and they really are good. Funny to think that despite it being on seemingly forever, there are only considered to be four actual seasons of that incarnation of the series. GMMB, the College Years, and New Class don't count. I may pick up the set tomorrow, but tell me this, are there no extras included? Looked that way from what I've seen around the 'net.

matome 09-02-03 07:33 PM

WTF, I saw this thread before I opened my set, and even with the utmost care in peeling off the top sticker, I still wasn't able to get it off without removing some of the orange ink! Maybe the blow dryer is the only way to get it off safely.

SBrooks1 09-02-03 08:40 PM

Originally posted by matome
WTF, I saw this thread before I opened my set, and even with the utmost care in peeling off the top sticker, I still wasn't able to get it off without removing some of the orange ink! Maybe the blow dryer is the only way to get it off safely.
I warned you. I used a hair dryer and got it off without incident. Although some of the ink on the top came off it wasn't as bad as not using a hair dryer.

the big train 09-02-03 09:22 PM

I don't so much mind the absence of the Junior High episodes. What I do mind is the absence of a sleeve and the security sticker on the paper cover (which I indicated was my #1 pet peeve in the DVD pet peeves thread).

But I finally have Saved by the Bell on DVD, so it's all good :)

Hammer99 09-02-03 09:24 PM

Re: Saved By The Bell - Couple issues

Originally posted by SBrooks1

Also I was disappointed to find out that the "real" 1st season of Saved by the Bell with Miss Bliss wasn't included as Season 1 on this DVD set. That season started out on Disney and was called "Good Morning Miss Bliss". Oh well, Season 1 on this set starts with them in the 9th grade and the entire cast that stayed with the show until the end.

Scott :)

Sorry you didn't get the real season 1, but thanks for the info. I don't care for the Miss Bliss shows, & that's what I thought was on this. Now I'm gonna pick this up.

ZackR 09-02-03 11:05 PM

Man,

I was careful and mine pulled the ink off too. Not that big of a deal, but annoying anyways. As far as Good Morning Miss Bliss, here is what I hope for:

Season 1 & 2 has been released.
Season 3 & 4 should be the next set... Followed by...
A set containing Good Morning Miss Bliss and the College Years and the made for tv movies. That would encompass pretty much everything with the "classic" cast... Yes, I know GMMB has some different characters as did College Years and that The New Class had Mr. Belding/Screech. But to me anyways, when I think of SBTB, I think of everything from GMMB through the College Years. Anyways, that is just me though. I hope this first set sells well though so that we can get my dream scenario I mentioned above!! :)

The Maniac 09-02-03 11:09 PM

damn sticker took a lil bit off mine too..Oh well. Im starting on the 2nd disc now! 3 More discs to go after this!!

Scott27 09-02-03 11:30 PM

Originally posted by ZackR

Season 1 & 2 has been released.
Season 3 & 4 should be the next set... Followed by...
A set containing Good Morning Miss Bliss and the College Years and the made for tv movies.

Most likely won't happen for the same reason GMMB wasn;t included with this set. GMMB is owned by Disney, while NBC owns the rest of the series. In order for NBC/Lion's Gate to include GMMB with the other seasons/movies, they would have to buy the rights from Disney or involve Disney in the production of the set. I don't see that happening.

ZackR 09-02-03 11:58 PM

Most likely won't happen for the same reason GMMB wasn;t included with this set. GMMB is owned by Disney, while NBC owns the rest of the series. In order for NBC/Lion's Gate to include GMMB with the other seasons/movies, they would have to buy the rights from Disney or involve Disney in the production of the set. I don't see that happening
You just had to go and ruin my night!!! :D

Seriously though, you might be right about that. Didn't NBC show reruns of it though later on?? They even had "Zack" film intros for them. I wonder if NBC only got the rights to replay them? They did re-air them though on NBC with the intros. I have some of those on tape as a matter of fact. Also, wasn't the show originally produced (at least the pilot) for NBC and then they canned it, passed it to Disney, which did GMMB (I think 13-14 episodes)? So, it is possible that NBC regained the rights when they brought the show back to their network. In fact, TBS used to show GMMB reruns with those intros in tact too at the same time they showed SBBT reruns. I guess it is possible they got SBBT rights from NBC and GMMB rights from Disney, but maybe *hopefully* NBC regained control of GMMB!! I mean, I don't see TBS trying to get the rights from 2 different companies. Maybe they did though. I am hoping that all the rights are held in one place though. Perhaps someone out there knows and can fill us in on the details of the rights/ownership.

Anyways, I hope you are wrong, my friend, but you are probably correct. Oh well. Maybe I could at least get the two movies and "The College Years" from them though! If I had to choose, I would rather have those than GMMB. But, here's hoping NBC got the show back.

Zack

Shadi914 09-03-03 12:14 AM

anyone else have problems with the discs, on my Season 1 disc 1, the 3 or 4 ep it starts to have a glitch in it, I tried playing my season 1 disc 3, and it wont play it freezes, it worked after I turned my dvd player off a couple times.

another issue is the episodes are not in chronological order

LBPound 09-03-03 12:24 AM

TBS does show the Miss Bliss episodes with the Zack "look at how weird Lisa and Screech look" intros. In fact, they're showing them this week.

ZackR 09-03-03 12:26 AM

TBS does show the Miss Bliss episodes with the Zack "look at how weird Lisa and Screech look" intros. In fact, they're showing them this week.
So, maybe NBC did regain the rights after Disney cancelled the show? The pilot was done for NBC in the first place...

I hope so.

BTW, LBPound, I am huge Disney fan, and your site rocks man!

djtoell 09-03-03 12:31 AM

So, maybe NBC did regain the rights after Disney cancelled the show? The pilot was done for NBC in the first place...
I think it's more likely that Buena Vista Television is still the distributor for the show (even with the modified "Saved by the Bell: The Junior High Years" title). If it's playing on TBS this week, someone should watch the end of an episode and see which distributor's logo is shown.

DJ

ZackR 09-03-03 01:10 AM

I just found this thread here which states that Disney sold the rights back to NBC...

NBC has the righs to Good Morning, Miss Bliss. Disney sold the rights ages and ages ago
Don't know how accurate it is though, but here's hoping!! :)

edytwinky 09-03-03 01:46 AM

Man I really need to earn some money and purchase this set

The Bus 09-03-03 06:11 AM

I really like Saved by the Bell, I think it was a funny show, but it doesn't warrant buying season sets. Are you guys going to be seeing each episode or one or two every couple of months?

Cartload 09-03-03 07:14 AM

Does the Season 1 and 2 set contain the overly cheesy and completely over-the-top "drug" episode where Jesse is addicted to caffeine pills? I know from personal experience that episode was total BS. I took 2 caffeine pills one finals night and instead of studying I ended up running up and down the halls singing the theme to Moonraker.

Al Padrino 09-03-03 07:46 AM

Indeed it does. Remember, half the series is covered with this set. Only things not here are the seasons where Zack and Kelly broke up and when Torrie joined the cast.

immortal_zeus 09-03-03 08:22 AM

Re: Saved By The Bell - Couple issues

Originally posted by SBrooks1
Well, when I did it took off some of the ink from the front and back of the 5-DVD case.
Yeah but does Screech look as dreamy on the DVDs as he did when the shows aired on TV? That's all I care about. http://216.40.249.192/s/otn/love/1luvu.gif

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

hime 09-03-03 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Cartload
Does the Season 1 and 2 set contain the overly cheesy and completely over-the-top "drug" episode where Jesse is addicted to caffeine pills? I know from personal experience that episode was total BS. I took 2 caffeine pills one finals night and instead of studying I ended up running up and down the halls singing the theme to Moonraker.
*wets pants laughing*

Colleen 09-03-03 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Shadi914
anyone else have problems with the discs, on my Season 1 disc 1, the 3 or 4 ep it starts to have a glitch in it, I tried playing my season 1 disc 3, and it wont play it freezes, it worked after I turned my dvd player off a couple times.

another issue is the episodes are not in chronological order

Oddly enough, the set does have the episodes in the order they were broadcast. This, however, is not the order in which they were filmed or the order that the story was written. I'm not sure how they got away with showing them in this order the first time, or who thought it was a good idea.

http://www.epguides.com/SavedbytheBell/

LBPound 09-03-03 05:25 PM

BTW, LBPound, I am huge Disney fan, and your site rocks man!
Thanks! :)

With regards to other comments, what we have is closer to a third of the "SBTB" run, even if there were only 4 seasons. Not sure if NBC/Lions Gate just left off 5 episodes that are supposedly from Season 2 or not...but in any event, there are 53 SBTB episodes still to be released. There's also the 2 TV movies, 13 Miss Bliss episodes, 19 College Years episode.

There's definitely room for Lions Gate to improve on the future releases, but having all these episodes at the touch of a button is very cool. I do hope we'll see everything else...AND with some special features, in the future.

As for production vs. airdate order...the only issue I can see is "King of the Hill" is on Disc 3. Watch that first, and then the rest of it is pretty fine in the order they gave us. Production order would make more sense for this show, at least the first season, but for the most part, it doesn't make a great deal of difference to mix and match here and there (of course, having Kelly dump Jeff before she meets and dates Jeff would be unusual, unless they're going for a Memento kind of thing).

They could (and should) be a little more creative with the disc artwork, add chapter stops and a booklet, but all in all, it's the show that matters (and rocks).

The Maniac 09-04-03 03:51 PM

I found a problem with my disc and wanna see if anyone else has this problem?? On the king of the hill episode, i noticed they would be talking, then out of nowhere the audio would drop for like a second, then go back to normal. Only this episode though??? Anybody else have this happen to??

BongTokin Chuck 09-04-03 05:00 PM

Did anyone else notice that the theme song(intro) sounds way different on the season 2 episodes?