DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   West Side Story OOP - Why so valuable? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315197-west-side-story-oop-why-so-valuable.html)

klh 09-02-03 05:47 PM

West Side Story OOP - Why so valuable?

Hello all:

I see that West Side Story has been reissued as a 2 DVD collector set, and the original single DVD is now OOP. Why is the single DVD valuable (at least on half and amazon) given that (I'm assuming) the 2 DVD set has superior audio and video?

I'm thinking they must have cut something from the movie in the 2 DVD reissue? What other reason could there be for such demand for the old 1 DVD version?

starseed 09-02-03 06:17 PM

First of all, for accuracy's sake, let's call these things what they are: DVDs. Generally speaking, when I hear the words '2 CD set,' I think of my copy of The White Album, not my Collector's Edition of Pulp Fiction.

Now then, there is nothing on MGM's West Side Story: Special Edition that isn't on the OOP single-disc version. In fact, there's a heck of a lot more. I think the people on Half and Amazon are still capitalizing (or attempting to) on the window of time when the film was unavailable on DVD (that is, between the original release's discontinuation and the SE's street date). If you look on eBay (which has time-limited auctions), you'll see that the prices for the original release are not so inflated at all.

Rusty James 09-02-03 07:39 PM

I had read somewhere (possibly in this forum?) that the new collector's set of WSS has lip-sync problems in a musical number ("Tonight," if memory serves).

Not sure if this is true, since I didn't notice a problem when I watched mine.

shill66 09-02-03 08:08 PM

Very possibly the sellers asking for big money put their listings up after version 1 went OOP and before the 2 disc set was released. They'll never sell at that price, and the sellers have probably forgotten about their listings.

klh 09-02-03 09:41 PM

Re: West Side Story OOP - Why so valuable?

Originally posted by klh
Hello all:

I see that West Side Story has been reissued as a 2 DVD collector set, and the original single DVD is now OOP. Why is the single CD valuable (at least on half and amazon) given that (I'm assuming) the 2 DVD set has superior audio and video?

I'm thinking they must have cut something from the movie in the 2 DVD reissue? What other reason could there be for such demand for the old 1 DVD version?

(my bad! changed "CD" to "DVD".)

Dacoops3 09-02-03 11:23 PM

I wonder if DTS Scarface bootlegs will still be rampid on e-bay after the new SE comes out. How long will it take the bootleggers to catch on?

bboisvert 09-03-03 05:15 PM

Originally posted by klh
(at least on half and amazon)
There's your answer right there. None of those expensive discs are actually selling.

I can list any DVD I own on Half.com and charge $100,000. That doesn't mean it'll sell for that price. And that doesn't make it 'valuable'.

The OOP edition was briefly worth big bucks before the new SE was announced. Now that it is released, you'd be lucky to get $10 for the old version.

maineiac 09-03-03 06:35 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert

The OOP edition was briefly worth big bucks before the new SE was announced. Now that it is released, you'd be lucky to get $10 for the old version.

Particularly since you can get the SE for an effective price of about $7.25 with a phone order enrollment at CH.