DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   The Rock and Armegeddon - worth Criterion upgrade? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/315132-rock-armegeddon-worth-criterion-upgrade.html)

DeeKay 09-02-03 01:33 PM

The Rock and Armegeddon - worth Criterion upgrade?

I was thinking of picking up both the Criterion editions of The Rock and Armegeddon. I already have both, are they worth the upgrade?

runnersdialzero 09-02-03 01:35 PM

Hard to say. The extras on the Criterion are top notch, but Armageddon is non-anamorphic, although I believe The Rock is anamorphic.

marty888 09-02-03 01:38 PM

If you enjoy the movies, by all means go for the Criterions - solid extras on both.

DonnachaOne 09-02-03 01:54 PM

Criterion's The Rock is an example of how to create a DVD set. Informative extras, a beautiful transfer, great sound. The only caveats I can think of - Michael Bay really, really, really sounds silly on the commentary (God, remember his plan for the sequel!), and the dts track is actually inferior to the Dolby Track.

Criterion's Armageddon is similar. Great stuff on it, and Ben Affleck gives his best comic performance on the commentary, poking fun at the film's little idiocies. It is not anamorphic though - but when your only other option is a non-anamorphic disc that's practically bare bones, what would you go with?

If you have multiregion capability, you can get the english* release of Armageddon, with most of the Criterion extras AND an anamorphic print, for about a third of the price.

Damn, I thought for sure Immortal Zeus would have chimed in by now!

*Region 2, PAL encoded. Some people complain about the marginal speedup of the film on a PAL transfer - I don't.

REL77 09-02-03 03:45 PM

I am one of the few Michael Bay lovers, and I upgraded both when they came out. I think it was defniitly worth it, sounds better, picture, although non-anamorphic on one, still better, extras are a boat load better, by far its better.

FredC 09-02-03 03:58 PM

I upgraded my copy of The Rock and watched some of the extras, which are pretty interesting, but after my second voewing of Armageddon, I didn't really like the movie enough to buy it again.

Movie_Man 09-02-03 04:28 PM

Upgraded "The Rock" only because it had the anamorphic transfer. I have yet to watch any of the extras except for Ed Harris getting really pissed off about flubbing his lines. It's actually pretty frightening.

jmj713 09-02-03 04:54 PM

The Rock rocks. Cage is in his best shape and the cinematography is awesome. And the extras are great. Never bought the original release so I was happy to pick this up. Never liked Armageddon, so I could care less about the transfer, although I do understand the extras are very interesting and fun.

DavidH 09-02-03 05:09 PM

Armageddon is defintely an improvement video-wise with Criterion. The only thing from making this the ultimate edition is that it's not anamorphic. However, the transfer is good. Solid blacks and whites with a filmlike appearance. The 5.1 track is outstanding (very similar to the Buena Vista's).

I would have to believe we will see an anamorphic version one day by Buena Vista.

It's too bad studios were so short-sighted when it came to making DVDs without being OAR and anamorphic.

PJsig08 09-02-03 05:12 PM

I am one of those people who LOVES The Rock. It was one of my favorite movies ever, so it was a no brainer to pick up the Criterion version.

The commentary is great, the extras as well, but it's the audio/video that is just ridiculous. Looks and sounds really good on our system.

I didn't like Armageddon that much, so I wouldn't upgrade to the Criterion for any reason.

fumanstan 09-02-03 05:19 PM

I'd upgrade. I waited forever to find a good price on both movies, and decided to go the half.com route and picked them up for about 15 or so each.

immortal_zeus 09-02-03 05:20 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

Damn, I thought for sure Immortal Zeus would have chimed in by now

I'm not sure if I should be flattered that you know I like these movies or scared that you're stalking me. ;)

:up::up: to both Criterions, I have both and enjoy them immensely.

I'm not ashamed to say that I like Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer movies.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

TomOpus 09-02-03 05:32 PM

DeeKay, since you already own both, I'd say "go for it".

DeeKay 09-03-03 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone, will definately upgrade!

chanster 09-03-03 11:49 AM

The Rock is a good movie. Armageddon is not..
Criterion Rock is the way to go.

Ted The Bug 09-03-03 12:00 PM

It is also worth mentioning that the Criterion version of Armageddon is a longer cut of the film, with several deleted scenes spliced back in. The BV barebones disc is the theatrical cut.

RocShemp 09-03-03 01:00 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
(God, remember his plan for the sequel!)
So what was his idea for a sequel?

eau 09-03-03 05:06 PM

By all means pick up both CC if you like the movies.

edytwinky 09-03-03 05:59 PM

To be honest with you, I thought Armageddon was alright but probably wouldn't have picked up the CC version if it wasn't for CH

Drexl 09-03-03 07:05 PM

Definitely get The Rock. With Armageddon, I guess getting the Criterion wouldn't be a bad idea since when we get an anamorphic version, it will probably be from Disney and therefore is highly unlikely to have the extras on the Criterion set.

lesterlong 09-03-03 08:10 PM

Since we are talking about Bay Criterions..any chance for a Bad Boys 2 Criterion? :)

eau 09-04-03 12:20 AM

Bad Boys and Bad Boys 2 are from CTHE. It's unlikely that CTHE would license them to Criterion. If not, we probably would end up with regular edition, then special deluxe edition, then superbit and finally Criterion version.

Skank 09-04-03 06:14 AM

I'd hit it! Whoops, wrong forum...

Roberteb 09-04-03 09:24 AM

uhh

Brain Stew 09-04-03 09:47 AM

The Rock is a shining example of how to make a big budget action movie that isn't completely ridiculous. I'd say Die Hard and The Rock are probably at the top of action movies.