DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Monty Python's Meaning Of Life S.e.is Fantastic! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/314888-monty-pythons-meaning-life-s-e-fantastic.html)

Chauncygardener 09-01-03 10:50 AM

Monty Python's Meaning Of Life S.e.is Fantastic!

I watched this great 2 disc set and, I must tell you that this is one heck of a fun DVD!!

On disc 1, even tho its not mentioned on the back cover ,it has the original 1 hour and 30 minute version and, then it also has the director's cut which is 1 hour and 39 minutes.

The back of the dvd case says the director's cut has 3 deleted scenes, which is true and, you know right away what the 3 deleted scenes are as they are scratchy as heck but still very nice to have inserted into the movie!

There is lots of fun with this 2 disc set, and, the boys sure had fun making the dvd extras!

One of the fun extras is on how they restored the movie, and, we see Terry Jones, who is outside and he says where the deleted footage is and, he gets the cans of film in a pile of garbage, and, you just have to see this as he is a real hoot in all he does in this. He takes all the film to the laundry mat and, he has the film in a garbage bag and, he then says how to clean the deleted film so that it wil look good again, and, so, he takes the film and keeps putting it in the washer, and,theres so much film he ends up just taking the garbage bag itself with still lots of film in it and throws it in the machine!

I won't say more about what happens, but, I was laughing so much during this whole thing!

Oh, then we see Terry Gilliam who is at the editing desk with the film and he shows how to clean the film and, oh man, he also is a riot!

Theres also a really funny segemnt called "WHAT FISH THINK" and, this is 15 minutes long and repeats 6 times as each time its a different soundtrack of each of the boys doing the thinking of what the fish is thinking. its a neat thing indeed and so funny! The scene is a fishtank close up, and in widescreen as is most all the extras on the 2nd disc.

There is just so many goodies . The only thing that stinks to high heaven is that for both discs, you cannot go right to the menu, as you have to sit thru the FBI warning and then after that, the Universal company logo. When all this is done, THEN the menu comes up which is some really neat animated stuff,the good ol' Python animation.

Theres so many fun enjoyable things to see on this extras disc including a "virtual reunion" which is a riot!

Ok,I won't say more, as I just wanted to let you know just how enjoyable this 2 disc set is!

This is a real treasure trove fun DVD and the boys sure were so nice to have done all the extra stuff they did for this DVD!!

ENJOY!! :)

NaturalMystic79 09-01-03 11:13 AM

Awesome! This is my favorite Monty Python movie. Is it already out on DVD, or is it being released tomorrow?

joshd2012 09-01-03 11:18 AM

Is the Crimson Insurance Company (I don't think that is the right name, but the real name escapes me right now so that will have to do) skit still before the movie?

raiders757 09-01-03 11:23 AM

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to pick this one up.

John Sinnott 09-01-03 11:30 AM

This is the only thing the Pythons did as a group that I thought was really poor. There were a couple of funny moments (death's speech to the Americans stands out) but the whole thing was not even close to their previous work.

-Videophile

movielib 09-01-03 11:58 AM

Originally posted by videophile
This is the only thing the Pythons did as a group that I thought was really poor. There were a couple of funny moments (death's speech to the Americans stands out) but the whole thing was not even close to their previous work.

-Videophile

I quite agree with you it isn't that good. The only thing I bought the Image/Universal release for was the "Every Sperm is Sacred" number. So the old version is sufficient for me.

darkside 09-01-03 12:17 PM

It was the worst movie they did (even they admit that), but still a lot of fun to watch. I can't wait for the new DVD. I sold my old version for enough to buy three copies awhile back so I can't wait.

Chauncygardener 09-01-03 12:39 PM

Ok, the special edition 2 disc set comes out Tuesday, September 2nd. ( I received mine on Saturday, the 30th from DVD Planet)

The Insurance Company skit film short is indeed the first thing shown. Also, don't forget theres a great commentary by Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam during the feature film and its a fun time!!

Theres so many fun things on this DVD, you, who love this movie as I do, will have a heck of a fun time with it!! :) :)

Crocker Jarmen 09-01-03 05:55 PM

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. I haven't seen it in several years.
I agree that it's nowhere in the calibre of Life of Brian or Holy Grail, but it's certainly head an shoulders above And Now For Something Completely Different. At any rate, it's my favorite film for sheer vulgarity.

Jay G. 09-01-03 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I agree that it's nowhere in the calibre of Life of Brian or Holy Grail, but it's certainly head and shoulders above And Now For Something Completely Different. At any rate, it's my favorite film for sheer vulgarity.
I agree, And Now For Something Completely Different is their worst film, and the only Monty Python material I don't own. At least The Meaning of Life consists of new material.

garmonbozia 09-01-03 08:06 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Is the Crimson Insurance Company (I don't think that is the right name, but the real name escapes me right now so that will have to do) skit still before the movie?
that's not a just a "skit" that was shown before the movie on the previous dvd (or on vhs for that matter).....

it is part of the film itself. it even resurfaces later in the film.

slop101 09-02-03 05:11 PM

How can it be so great if it doesn't have an insert?

darkside 09-02-03 06:25 PM

Originally posted by slop101
How can it be so great if it doesn't have an insert?
There are many on this forum that would agree. While we are on the subject how is the disc art? :lol:

Ginsu 09-02-03 07:04 PM

Are you kidding me????? No insert???

Cheap buggers.

All DVD's should have them at all times. No matter what. If you don't like them, throw it away and shut the pie hole!!

Still, a good movie. Thanks for the heads up. I think it is their best work(even I think so).

Are you sure about the insert?

mrpayroll 09-05-03 09:13 AM

This from The Digital Bits

Just a word of advice... a lot of people are reporting problems with Universal's new Monty Python's Meaning of Life DVD. Disc Two of the set is fine, but the movie disc is plagued by strange picture artifacts - blurring of movement, etc. It could very well be an encoding problem with the disc itself. We haven't seen the disc yet ourselves, but we'll let you know when we do.

Is anyone having these problems with Disc 1?

Chris

Adam Tyner 09-05-03 09:17 AM

mrpayroll: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=315147

mrpayroll 09-05-03 09:27 AM

Originally posted by ctyner
mrpayroll: http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=315147
Thanks!

But this is a pet peeve of mine. I did a search under Monty Python and only found this thread regarding this DVD. I checked your link and nowhere in any of the posts was the name Monty Python mentioned! :mad: ;)

Chris

lordzeppelin 09-08-03 09:53 PM

I may be crazy here...but is the Crimson Assurance scene cut? I distinctly remember the pirates busting into the boardroom and the one guy getting cut and turning around with a large red swipe across him and screaming, and everyone stopping and looking...but it seems it's missing here.

Am I crazy?

mrpayroll 09-09-03 10:47 AM

http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7TEF75G0.html

Don't Expect Python Reunion, Cleese Says

Sep 8, 5:24 PM (ET)

By ANTHONY BREZNICAN

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Don't expect to see a reunion of the surviving Monty Python comedians any time soon.

It's not that they hate each other, said one member of the troupe, John Cleese. It's just that they've all become too busy with other projects to work together.

"It is absolutely impossible to get even a majority of us together in a room, and I'm not joking," Cleese said. "It just happens very, very seldom - every three years or something."

The closest they have come since 1999, when they celebrated the comedy group's 30th anniversary on a BBC reunion special, is working together on new sketches for the extra features on the recent DVD release of their 1983 film, "The Meaning of Life."

And even that was done remotely, for the most part.

Cleese, who lives in Santa Barbara, said Michael Palin, who has worked on several acclaimed travel documentaries, was in the Himalayas; American Terry Gilliam, the group's animator and director of "The Fisher King," was in Prague; Terry Jones was "God-knows-where" developing a British history documentary; and Eric Idle was in Canada awaiting the start of a movie that eventually fell through. Graham Chapman died in 1989.

"We stay in contact vaguely because there are often little things to discuss, but I don't think we've been in a room together for four years," Cleese said.

Sometimes their failure to get together has resulted in hard feelings.

"We had all sort of thoughts about doing a final stage tour," Cleese said. "And then Michael, who is painfully nice, who finds it impossible to say 'No,' finally summoned up the courage to say 'No,' at which point Eric became very cross about it."

"The Meaning of Life" DVD came out Sept. 2, and Cleese said he will watch it for the first time in many years - eventually.

"Sometimes I think people think in our old age we sit around watching our work, and we really don't," the 63-year-old said.

"I'm looking forward to, in the last week before I die - as I lie there in my bed, surrounded by my adoring family, all of them holding out checks for me to sign - I shall in those twilight hours start watching all my old programs again," he said, laughing.

I for one am glad. Just like rock and roll bands, there is a time in your lifetime when you should not replay the past. That being said, I thought they were hilarious on the AFI awards DVD. But that should be our last impressions of them. Especially since Graham Chapman is long gone.

Chris