DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Final Word on Angel Season 2 (Got it Early) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/314772-final-word-angel-season-2-got-early.html)

Puzznic 08-31-03 04:30 PM

Final Word on Angel Season 2 (Got it Early)

I found Angel Season 2 at Target on Sunday and it is indeed in widescreen, 1:78:1. The box says full frame with the correct widescreen ratio under it, so the typo is in the final production. I personally think it looks great but anyone who plans on buying it should decide for themselves.

areacode212 08-31-03 06:00 PM

I personally think it looks great but anyone who plans on buying it should decide for themselves.
IMO, there's nothing to decide...unless you already own the Region 2 set. Joss has gone on record saying that he personally approved 1.78:1 for the season 2 DVDs, so it's not like Fox is releasing them widescreen due to any kind of BtVS S4 backlash.

I'm sick with a cold this weekend, so I've been treating myself to an Angel season 2 marathon (I got them on Wednesday). The DVDs do indeed look great, but I'm a little disappointed with the tiny number of commentaries. This is a terrific season of the show.

Puzznic 08-31-03 06:27 PM

Im loving it, i never saw this season due to not having WB when it aired. But i have to say other than the end i didnt care to much for the season premiere. It felt a little choppy, but so far everything else is fantastic

matome 08-31-03 06:44 PM

I got mine early last week as well, but I haven't had to time to check it out yet. :(

Doughboy 08-31-03 07:13 PM

But i have to say other than the end i didnt care to much for the season premiere.
It's a weak episode except of course for the surprise at the end. But that's the way it's always been with Buffy and Angel. The season premieres are mediocre, but the episodes gradually get better as the year goes on.

(Buffy Seasons 6 and 7 being the lone exceptions to the rule.)

Gizmo 09-01-03 12:06 PM

Dough, have you seen 'Once more, with feeling' from Buddy S6. Brillant. Gotta love Anya with the whole bunnie thing.

Doughboy 09-01-03 12:20 PM

Dough, have you seen 'Once more, with feeling' from Buddy S6. Brillant. Gotta love Anya with the whole bunnie thing.
Of course, I've probably watched it 20 or 30 times. I've got the Season 6 box set. But like I said, Seasons 6 and 7 don't follow the trend. Those years started off great only to fall apart completely.

Rypro 525 09-01-03 05:38 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
was that cut on the f/x version that I've watched several times or am I missing something

BizRodian 09-01-03 05:49 PM

Once more with Feeling is cut when shown in syndication. It runs a little long.

Rypro 525 09-01-03 05:50 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
Once more with Feeling is cut when shown in syndication. It runs a little long.
was the particular scene mentioned above cut or did I miss somethin.
Never mind, I remeber what number it was now, and it wasn't cut. Also while we're on the subject, whats the intended oar of that episode? the tv version is approx 2:00:1 which would prevent overscan to any of the image.(think spirited away)

costanza187 09-01-03 08:04 PM

i ordered it today

Gizmo 09-02-03 11:27 AM

Angel 2 is out... mmm...

Doughboy 09-02-03 12:15 PM

Also while we're on the subject, whats the intended oar of that episode?
It's 1.78:1. You're right about it being protected for overscan when it was broadcast on TV. If you play the DVD on a set that's not adjusted for overscan, the opening credits are cut off on the sides.

mlemmond 09-02-03 12:44 PM

On disk 1 of Angel Season 2 at the beginning of the second episode chapter 3 to be exact as Angel is walking into the abandoned hotel my dvd pixelates like crazy and stops playing. I using a Panasonic DVD-S35 has anyone else had this problem?

I just bought this set today none of my discs were loose and the surface of this one looks fine. What I'm looking for is this just a bad disc or a single disc out of a bad pressing.