Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Advanced Optical Disc (AOD) vs BLU-RAY: Support 1080p, WM9/Corona, 5 Mbit/sec Audio..

Advanced Optical Disc (AOD) vs BLU-RAY: Support 1080p, WM9/Corona, 5 Mbit/sec Audio..

Old 08-30-03, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please continue to sign the HD-DVD petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/cehddvd/

The HD-DVD petition will be re-printed and discussed (for a second time) in the next issue of Widescreen Review.

Sony is talking with studios for supporting release of 1080p pre-recorded media. The article from Sept Widescreen Review with Sony's Blu-Ray Disc Group, Senior Vice President of the Blu Ray Disc Division, Michael Fidler is around 6 pages long and very revealing. "Sony is extremely excited about a related development in new display technology called SXRD. With SXRD we can finally offer displays that have the ability to truly deliver full 1920 x 1080 resolution. This is a very important part of the equation ..." "I would agree [that Blu-Ray discs should support prerecorded 1080p studio releases]. That is being defined as we speak. That is part of our ongoing conversations."

We also have the Advanced Optical Disc from Toshiba/NEC which is vying to become 'HD-DVD' in competition to Blu Ray. AOD offers a little less bandwidth and storage, however, as you shall see, the term 'relative bandwidth' becomes important.

In any case, Blu-Ray/AOD players are going to be similar to DVD players in that they will come in a variety of flavors, just as DVD players do now: Transports, integrated with HDTV tuners, integrated with scalers, output a variety of resolutions, it is up to the manufacturer, just as it is now with DVD. AOD/Blu-Ray players ultimately will provide whatever your output resolution you select, although 1080p will most likely be the 'best' output resolution. We can only hope that both Blu Ray players, and AOD support not only MPEG-2, but WM9/Corona or perhaps H.264. We already know that AOD and Blu Rau have commited to providing bacward compatability with current DVD which means provinding DD, DTS, and MPEG-2 support.

As quoted from The Digital Bits:

backwards compatibility with existing DVD software is considered a given in order to make the transition easier for consumers. So if you've been concerned about HD-DVD or Blu-ray (or whatever comes next) making your existing DVD movie collection obsolete, you can now rest easy. The new disc players (whatever format they may be) should all be able to play current DVDs in addition to next-generation HD software.
At one point we were worried about a low bandidth, low storage, high compression for HD-DVD, however, it seems that common sense has prevailed and only AOD and Blu-Ray are contenders.
Ultimately, a red laser, lower bandwidth format is not acceptable because:

a) Whatever HD-DVD video format is chosen that might look 'acceptable' at 7-8 Mbit/sec, will look significantly better at 10+ Mbit/sec regardless of which video compression algorithm is chosen. Including Corona.

b) It is absolutely ridiculous to not equate HD-DVD with better audio, which is EQUALLY IMPORTANT AS IMPROVEMENT IN VIDEO, or nonetheless is SIGNIFICANTLY IMPORTANT. It makes no sense to continue utilizing 500-700 kbit/sec bandwidth for DD and DTS... With a format like Blu-Ray or AOD, you finally have a format which allows one to have true high definition video quality and have enough bandwidth remaining for a high quality audio track. There is no reason why we could not AND SHOULD NOT dedicate at least 4Mbit/sec (potentially even more!) to a PRIMARY audio soundtrack. Only Blu-Ray/AOD makes this possible.

c) With Blu-Ray, we could even have 24/96 DVD-Audio music in conjunction with HD-DVD video! Imagine Pink Floyd or your favorite music video running in Hi Definition and 24/96 MLP! You simply cannot do this with other proposals! Music videos will be outstanding on AOD/Blu-Ray!

d) Audiophiles could also gain by allowing 24/192 in all channels, not just stereo as limited by current red laser formats.

Back to 1080p:

As David Boulet elegantly says:

Progressive only takes up more space than interlaced if you're storing the data at the same rate...in other words...1080P at 60Hz takes up twice as much space as 1080I at 60Hz. Makes sense right? All things being equal...a "progressive" signal has twice as many lines being transmited at any given time. Most folks internalize this concept without much more thought and apply that to everytime progressive and interlaced get discussed.

But here's the deal:

What if that "rate" changed? In other words, 1080P at 30Hz compared to 1080I at 60Hz? In this example, the two signals take up equal amounts of space because the rate of the 1080P signal has been cut in half.

Applying this to film:

Film starts out as in inherently "progressive" signal because it starts life as a series of discrete 24 "frames" per second. Another way to express this is that film is inherently a 24Hz progressive signal. (Just a hint where we're going...24Hz is less than half of 60Hz...)

When video is mastered from film material it first gets transfered at a progressive frame-rate. In the case of movies, that's 1080P at 24 frames per second. Often we call this simply 1080 24P for short.

So guess what they do to convert this *film* based signal to "interlaced" for broadcast in 1080I. Well, first they split the frames up into fields--1080I 48 Hz. Notice how we just doubled the "rate" from 24Hz to 48. At this point, the 1080I signal takes up exactly the same space as the original 1080 progressive signal!! Then, they apply 3-2 pulldown which repeats every 3rd field to convert this to 60Hz...turning the signal into 1080I 60Hz. Guess what, this "1080I" signal uses *MORE* space than the original 1080 24P signal!!!.

Regarding film which starts out life in progressive form, it takes exactly the same space to store or transmit whether one leaves the fields in tact as "progressive frames" or arbirarily splits them up in to "interlaced fields" which then need to be transmitted at twice the speed. Ironically, most HD film-based signals that are broadcast on satelite, TV, and even recorded on D-VHS actually use up MORE space than their 1080 24P source signals because they're converted from 48Hz to 60Hz.

bottom line:

Any film-based signal can be transmitted or stored in native 1080 24P form without using any more "space" than it would had it been converted to "interlace". In fact, a 1080 24P source requires even less space than the common practive of converting film-source material to 1080I 60Hz for tranmission/recording!!!

Thak-you as usual David!

Please sign the CONSUMER EXPECTATIONS OF HD-DVD, and place comments so they can be heard. Lets' get it correct the first time!

Great comments! keep them coming!

[quote] AOD or Blu Ray: depending on who gives us all the following: 1080p, Corona/WM9 video compression, 24/48 MLP for a primary audio track, or what the hell 24/96 for movies because you've got so much room with Blu-Ray and an efficient but best quality Corona compression. I'll also accept DTS for movies but only if it is at near lossless bandwidth useage! I am 110% in support of this petition: make it so! If Blu Ray won't support an advance video codec, then what good is only MPEG-2 besides backward compatabilty? How can anyone refure a video codec that is not only superior, yet utilizes only 1/3 the bandwidth to do it! 24/48 MLP or 4-6 Mbit/s DTS and WM9-corona 1080p, anything less makes no sense, we can downscale and provide several output choices for older displays.

Gene Rutter says: 1080p! I am Buying a 1920x1080p display and I must have full support of my 1080p projector! My friend is getting a Sony SXRD 1080p display as soon as they are available! NO 1080 INTERLACED! Interlaced is an abomination! I will support AOD or Blu Ray depending on who gives us 1080p with video compression at least as efficient and high quality as Microsoft Corona/WM9 as well as 4-6Megabit/sec audio for movies.. this will require MLP, lossless WM9 perhaps, or DTS running at much higher bandwidth in this range! Pink Floyd music videos in 24/96 MLP and 1080p video are what AOD or Blu Ray are all about. MPEG-2 is only for backward compatabilty
Tony Figueroa says: Only 1080p will suffice. Microsoft, with WM9 have demonstrated what can be done with this technology. If Blu-Ray tries to compete with only MPEG-2 support, they will lose to the AOD. In that Case, the only thing the AOD group has to do is support WM9 to succeed. They must also listen to the details of this petition and give us a highbandwidth audio movie format... I agree wholeheartedly with this petition!
Rick Shaw says:ADVANCED OPTICAL DISC (AOD) HAS MORE RELATIVE BANDWIDTH THAN BLU-RAY IF THE AOD USES CORONA/WM9 AND BLUE RAY ONLY OFFERS MPEG-2. IF AOD CHOOSES TO SUPPORT CORONA AND A 4-5 MBIT AUDIO FOR MOVIES AND BLU RAY DOES NOT, THEN AOD HAS MORE RELATIVE BANDWIDTH BECAUSE CORONA IS NOT ONLY TREMENDOUSLY MORE EFFICIENT IT IS ALSO MUCH HIGHER QUALITY. WHOEVER SUPPOERT THE HIGHEST QUALITY AUDIO AS WELL AS THE BEST QUALITY VIDEO COMPRESSION WILL WIN THE AOD VS BLU RAY WAR FOR 'HD-DVD' P.S. DOLBY DIGITAL IS TOO HARSH AND UNNACEPTABLE FOR ANY NEW FORMAT)ONLY FOR BACKWARD COMPATABILITY
Paul Khoury says: This petition should now more accurately be called: 1080p is ESSENTIAL, High Quality Audio (5 Mbit/sec for movies) is ESSENTIAL, Support AOD or Blu Ray depending on who supports the best quality video compression. MPEG-2 is only required for compatability purposes but support for a much better video compresion codec is CRITICAL!
Keep the signatures coming! Email Dolby Digital, Email DTS, Email Meridian, etc...!

As far as WM9/Corona, I don't see how ANYBODY could not include support for a CODEC that is not ony 2-3 times more efficient, but also provides higher QUALITY! AOD doesn't stand a chance unless the AOD group supports WM9/Corona as well as a high quality primary audio track running in the 3-5 Mbit/sec range. AOD has to provide something that BLU-RAY does not, otherwise Blu Ray has significantly more bandwidth/storage. Let's just hope that at the very least AOD or Blu Ray has enough sense to get it correct, and that means Corona (or a similar quality codec) and a primary audio track running in the 5 Mbit/sec range. Actually, I can't see AOD not supporting Corona... unless they go with H.264, which the latest version may be close enough to Corona? Not sure... but H.264 may still be a player? Any opinions on this? H.264 would offer the latest highest quality block encoding... How does Microsoft plan to push Corona besides XBOX? I mean I'm not buying a damn XBOX, I like PC's and hate redundancy. The only thing I can think of after not having slept in the past 30 hours (post call now) is that Microsoft and Toshiba/NEC (AOD Group) have no choice but to combine forces to take on the Blu Ray Group...? Or, just like Sony, Does the AOD group also want the market for itself, and may end up using H.264 video compression thereby not requiring partnership with Microsoft?

If we had our choice it would be simple:

Blu Ray, 1080p, Corona/WM9 video compression, 24/48 MLP for a primary audio track, or what the hell 24.96 because you've got so mauch room with Blu-Ray and an efficient but best quality Corona compression... etc.. etc...

Damn power struggles, greed, format wars....
Old 08-30-03, 08:50 PM

2,048 signatures and climbing! Keep the comments coming!
Old 08-30-03, 10:56 PM

Sent to all 3 DTS email addresses, Please copy the below or write to and include the following 3 addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Dear DTS,

Please see http://www.petitiononline.com/cehddvd/petition.html

I would like to bring to your attention 2,050 signatures and steadily climbing, a petition which involves
DTS and can be read here. This petition has been published in past articles of Widescreen Review
As well as various online forums and journals. This petition will be re-published in the next issue of Widescreen
Review.

Essentially, DTS is in the best position to provide a single high bandwidth/high quality primary sound track
for the next generation Blu-Ray format as well as the Advanced Optical Disc.

Ultimately whether AOD or Blu Ray prevails, it is certain that consumers will support AOD or Blu Ray
Based on which format supports the best video compression scheme as well as the highest quality of audio.
If Blu Ray Group only provides MPEG-2 support, and AOD provides Corona/WM9 compression, then AOD
may end up with a superior product with more ‘relative’ bandwidth than the Blue Ray group. In any scenario,
It is obvious that consumers are aware of the large bandwidth/storage capabilities of the next generation
formats and are no longer tolerating the limitations of Dolby Digital. We feel that DTS would be in excellent position
to offer what consumers demand for a single primary high-quality movie soundtrack that would utilize approximately
5 Mbit/sec bandwidth. With either AOD or Blu-Ray, an approximate 5 Mbit/sec primary 5.1/6.1 audio track
that offers similar quality to lossless compression is what consumers are demanding.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned Consumers of:

http://www.petitiononline.com/cehddvd/petition.html
Old 08-31-03, 09:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
are they going to fix the physical media itself?

one unanswered question I have is : with the next generation of DVD, will the FINALLY fix the problem of having exposed media? This is insane.. There is absolutely no reason to have the disc that needs to be read be exposed to human oils, prints, and scratches. Remember the floppy disk? The media was enclosed in a cartridge and only a small window opened when it was read.

Think about it - in a cartridge based system, these discs would truly last forever.. no scratches, no oils, thumbprints, etc. to cause pixilation and/or freeze problems. Would forever change the face of PVDs and maybe even the normal list price of movies.

Watch any child using a VCR tape and then have them struggle with loading a DVD into the player. No reason it should be difficult for children - or adults - to load a movie into a player without touching the media to ruin it.

And this opens up the possibility to have pictures and more info on the cartridge itself - possibilty eliminating the concept of keep cases.

I may be in the minority, but I would much rather have a totally incompatible new dvd player that was cartridge based than just another 'denser' disc on the existing media format. Seriously - I still have a VCR player around to play my old tapes.. what is the problem with having an DVD player around to play my old DVDs?

Am I alone in this?
Old 08-31-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts
Many of the prototypes for blue-ray and HD-DVD have used discs inside caddies. However, it has been met with resistance because:

1) Having a caddie-based system would require people putting their current DVDs into a caddie before inserting it into the new player. People view this as an annoying extra step.

2) People are used to CDs and DVDs without caddies, and view caddies as unneccessary. A lot of people point to the disappearance of caddie-based CD-ROM drives as a reason we don't "need" a caddie-based HD-DVD system.

I agree that people could just keep their old DVD player hooked up if they don't want to mess with the caddies. However, I get the feeling that some think that having seperate HD-DVD, DVD, and VCR machines is one machine to many. Heck, the way the DVD/VCR machines are selling, you'd think people don't have any extra shelf space at all!
Old 08-31-03, 03:47 PM

Cinema Man,

I do agree with you in the sense that I feel a caddy is desirable. Not to mention I don't have to cringe if I am forced to lend someone one of my DVD's! But Jay pointed out some of the reasons for resistance to caddies. I've hear another reason, which I would add, would be those who like to use those big changers... I'm not a fan of changers, but I've heard a few who like them complain.

I'm not really a fan of backward compatability either, because it often adds cost and hurts ultimate potential, but in the case of Blu-Ray players and AOD players, they will probably just be more expensive for the more features they have. Sheeze! Now we need: CD, CDR, CDRW, DVD-R, DVD-A, SACD, etc... .... whew! In any case it is clear that AOD and Blue Ray will have DD, DTS, and MPEG-2 for backward compatability with DVD. No doubt they will have internal scalers/de-interlacing for backward compatability with DVD... Assuming the studios chose to support 1080p, which they should, AOD and Blu-Ray players will simply have resolution output choices for those devices that cannot handle 1080p: 720p, 768p (plasma), 1080i, etc...
Old 08-31-03, 05:41 PM

Old 09-08-03, 05:21 PM

I would like to point out the excellent comments and signatures coming in:

http://www.petitiononline.com/cehddvd/petition.html

Relative bandwidth is a critical point. If AOD (the Advanced Optical Disc) uses Corona (WM9) as the main video compression algorithm, then AOD may have more bandwidth to offer compared to Blu-ray. AOD could offer superior audio and video to Blu-Ray unless Blu-Ray also choses to offer support for Corona (WM9). Not only is Corona superior to MPEG-2 by a significant margin, it only needs around 1/3 rd the space compared to MPEG-2. 1080p running at 15 Mbit/sec is superior in quality to MPEG-2running at 40+ Mbit/sec... This cannot be ignored. Further, 1080p should be the main format for HD-DVD. Internal 'scalers' can be utilized to provide 720p and other output resolutions for compatability. Audio must be on par with lossless quality compression, there is room on either AOD or Blu-Ray for lossless caliber 5.6 or 6.1 or 7.1... I will support whatever format offers the best combined audio and video for both movies and music and true 1080p resolution is a requirement.

WM9 (Corona) offers almost 3 times the efficiency AND STILL OFERS HIGHER QUALITY ON TOP OF IT WHEN COMPARED TO MPEG-2!!! How On Earth Can Anybody release a Format in the year 2004/5 that would not include an advanced video compresion such as Corona is beyond reason! 1080p is a must and so is an advanced video compression methodology such as WM9. MY GOODNESS! CORONA USES ALMOST 1/3 THE SPACE AND GIVES A BETTER QUALITY PICTURE!! WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THE POLITICS OVER QUALITY?!?! IF YOU CAN'T FIND A VIDEO COMPRESSION METHODOLOGY AS GOOD AS CORONA/WM9, THEN SIMPLY INCLUDE MICROSOFT AS ONE OF THE DAMN BLU RAY GROUP OR AOD! Important point being CONSUMERS KNOW WHAT THEY WANT AND WILL NOT SETTLE FOR COMPROMISE WHEN THERE NEEDS TO BE NONE! 1080p, WM9, High Quality Audio!

Whether AOD or Blu Ray prevails, it is certain that consumers will support AOD or Blu Ray Based on which format supports the best video compression scheme as well as the highest quality of audio. If Blu Ray Group only provides MPEG-2 support, and AOD provides Corona/WM9 compression, then AOD may end up with a superior product with more ‘relative’ bandwidth than the Blue Ray group. In any scenario, It is obvious that consumers are aware of the large bandwidth/storage capabilities of the next generation formats and are no longer tolerating the limitations of Dolby Digital. We feel that DTS would be in excellent position to offer what consumers demand for a single primary high-quality movie soundtrack that would utilize approximately 5 Mbit/sec bandwidth. With either AOD or Blu-Ray, an approximate 5 Megabit per sec 5.1/6.1 audio track (not just 1.5 like previous DVD releases: AOD/Blu-Ray has much more bandwidth/storage) that offers similar quality to lossless compression is what consumers are demanding.

Give us 1080p with the highest quality possible! This means blue laser with Corona or comparable wavelet compression. I fully expect HD-DVD to have superior audio to DVD, with MLP encoding or higher bandwidth lossy compression. Any format that delivers anything but the best audio/vido experience technically possible is not acceptable!

AOD or Blu Ray: depending on who gives us all the following: 1080p, Corona/WM9 video compression, 24/48 MLP for a primary audio track, or what the hell 24/96 for movies because you've got so much room with Blu-Ray and an efficient but best quality Corona compression. I'll also accept DTS for movies but only if it is at near lossless bandwidth useage! I am 110% in support of this petition: make it so! If Blu Ray won't support an advance video codec, then what good is only MPEG-2 besides backward compatabilty? How can anyone refure a video codec that is not only superior, yet utilizes only 1/3 the bandwidth to do it! 24/48 MLP or 4-6 Mbit/s DTS and WM9-corona 1080p, anything less makes no sense, we can downscale and provide several output choices for older displays.

1080p! I am Buying a 1920x1080p display and I must have full support of my 1080p projector! My friend is getting a Sony SXRD 1080p display as soon as they are available! NO 1080 INTERLACED! Interlaced is an abomination! I will support AOD or Blu Ray depending on who gives us 1080p with video compression at least as efficient and high quality as Microsoft Corona/WM9 as well as 4-6Megabit/sec audio for movies.. this will require MLP, lossless WM9 perhaps, or DTS running at much higher bandwidth in this range! Pink Floyd music videos in 24/96 MLP and 1080p video are what AOD or Blu Ray are all about. MPEG-2 is only for backward compatabilty

Only 1080p will suffice. Microsoft, with WM9 have demonstrated what can be done with this technology. If Blu-Ray tries to compete with only MPEG-2 support, they will lose to the AOD. In that Case, the only thing the AOD group has to do is support WM9 to succeed. They must also listen to the details of this petition and give us a highbandwidth audio movie format... I agree wholeheartedly with this petition!

ADVANCED OPTICAL DISC (AOD) HAS MORE RELATIVE BANDWIDTH THAN BLU-RAY IF THE AOD USES CORONA/WM9 AND BLUE RAY ONLY OFFERS MPEG-2. IF AOD CHOOSES TO SUPPORT CORONA AND A 4-5 MBIT AUDIO FOR MOVIES AND BLU RAY DOES NOT, THEN AOD HAS MORE RELATIVE BANDWIDTH BECAUSE CORONA IS NOT ONLY TREMENDOUSLY MORE EFFICIENT IT IS ALSO MUCH HIGHER QUALITY. WHOEVER SUPPOERT THE HIGHEST QUALITY AUDIO AS WELL AS THE BEST QUALITY VIDEO COMPRESSION WILL WIN THE AOD VS BLU RAY WAR FOR 'HD-DVD' P.S. DOLBY DIGITAL IS TOO HARSH AND UNNACEPTABLE FOR ANY NEW FORMAT)ONLY FOR BACKWARD COMPATABILITY

This petition should now more accurately be called: 1080p is ESSENTIAL, High Quality Audio (5 Mbit/sec for movies) is ESSENTIAL, Support AOD or Blu Ray depending on who supports the best quality video compression. MPEG-2 is only required for compatability purposes but support for a much better video compresion codec is CRITICAL!

Ultimately, we must have the best quality 1080p video and that means 1080p with wavelet compression such as WM9/Corona. Ultimately, I am for a high quality audio track that will end up utilizing anywhere from 3-6 Mbit/sec for movies. Music HD-DVD's which should utilize full 24/96 MLP and 1080p video. If Blu Ray is only using MPEG-2, and AOD (Advanced Optical Disc) uses Corona or wavelet compression then I will 100% support only AOD from Toshiba/NEC! Blue Ray will get my 100% support only if they use advanced video compression such as Corona or similar quality! All these conditions must be met! Music Videos must have 24/96 MLP and 1080p END OF STORY!

I fully support this above petition for 1080 24P video and MLP audio as the standard "required" audio format of HD-DVD

We need Blu-Ray bandwidth/storage! We need 1080p! We need the best available video compression--which is apparently wavelet/Corona (WM9)! We need high quality audio, not the harsh Dolby Digital! There must be a single high quality soundtrack that is able to use at least 4 to 6 Megabits per second! Yet further, only Blu Ray will allow for 1080p video and 24/96 MLP audio at the same time: this is critical for the future of music DVD's or should I say MUSIC BD's!!!! Go Blu-Ray, Go Corona, Go DTS/MLP for movies!!! Dolby Digital and MPEG-2 for backward compatabilty only!

Blu Ray offers significantly more storage and Bandwidth than the AOD proposal, and ultimately it is bandwidth and storage that set the limits to achievable quality. I vote for the success of Blu Ray. 1080p is the only way to fly for a new format. Use the best video algorithm that yields the highest quality knowing full well that you have almost 30 Mbit/sec for video alone! Finally, Use MLP, B-Format is a great idea, or even DTS at 4-6 Megabit per second. Dolby Digital is only good for backward compatability and perhaps other tracks on HD-DVD, but not the main track! I'm up for any audio option that is a major improvement over current DD/DTS. Finally, discrete side channels and a discrete tactile transducer channel would be welcomed highly!

While 24/192 MLP may be good for 'HD-DVD-Audio' there has to be consideration for proper proportional useage for the video, regardless of what form of MPEG or wavelet, Corona, etc.. compression is utilized. That being said, in regards to movies, with Blu-Ray type bandwidth it makes no sense to use Dolby Digital 5.1 anymore, unless it os for a foreign language or commentary or such. I agree that for movies we need to vastly improve over Dolby Digital. I do like the idea of using MLP lossless for movies, but perhaps on the order of 20/48, 24/48 MLP, or 24/96 just for the front three speakers. Theoretically with 36 Mbit/sec bandwidth of Blu-Ray, you could use 24/96 MLP all the way around and still have 26Mbit/sec for video. Regardless of what major improvement is done for movies in regards to one high quality 5.1, 6.1. or 7.2 track, it is obvious that Dolby Digital is not welcome unless used for other languages, commentary. I agree wholeheartedly with the need for 5Mbit+ audio movies on Blu-Ray 'HD-DVD'

1080 PROGRESSIVE! An absolute must for any new format! Give me 1080p or don't bother! 1080p is going to be the most popular display device for the forseeable future, so we won't settle for less. Dolby Digital is outdated and too harsh. With Blu-Ray and great bandwidth, we must have a lot more bandwidth used for better audio! Lossless compression preferrable! Sony SXRD display technology as well as the 1080p DLP chip, 1080p .... so many 1080p technologies!!! 1080p is critical!

The point of high res is to get better quality, so stop using outdated algorithms. Use MLP with B-Format for sound, use 1020/60p with Apple's Pixlet or some other comparable algorithm for image compression. In addition, start using transparent slideshow features, such that annotations can be superimposed at will over the playing program, separate sound and voice tracks, such that they can be played on their own, or automatically summed for normal playback

1080p 24 is an absolute must, anything else will not take full advantage of 1920 x 1080 resolution display devices such as Sony SXRD and other HD display devices capable of 1080p that will no doubt be the most popular Hi-Def display device. Also, Must majorly improve the sound by having at least one audio track that uses high bandwidth. Doby Digital and even the latest DTS offerings are not acceptable. Finally, it is hard to believe MPEG-2 would be utilized when it is such a DOG with fleas compared to todays advanced algorithms such as Corona and other wavelet type of algorithms. Do not use MPEG-2 for Blu-Ray or any other HD-DVD format... it makes no sense! Why on earth would you want to use outdated MPEG block encoding for a future HD-DVD format? It has been clearly demonstrated that block encoding is outdated and vastly inferior to todays modern video compression algorithms.

Blu-Ray Using MPEG-2 is like a Lamborghini using wooden wagon wheels. Block encoding is outdated. Dolby Digital is ABSURD for a high bandwidth HD-DVD format. Need to use much higher bandwidth, perhaps even MLP for a primary cinema audio track.

Dolby Digital is NOT acceptable for HD-DVD. Not even close! We need to dedicate at least 4Mbit/sec bandwidth, potentially more, to a single primary audio track, whether is be a new to be released algorithm, 4-5 Mbit/sec DTS, 20/48 MLP, whatever... NO WAY to Dolby Digital for HD-DVD! WE NEED SERIOUS IMPROVEMENT! Also, say NO to BLOCK ENCODING and yes to CORONA or WAVELET type of ENCODING!!!

The number of HD-DVDs I purchase will be in direct proportion to how uncompromising the industry has been with respect to the format in terms of video and audio fidelity. Thanks to daily computer use your audience is highly sophisticated and demanding. Format flexibility of the kind outlined in this petition is of key importance.
Old 09-09-03, 08:19 AM

Old 09-09-03, 06:34 PM

^
Old 09-10-03, 08:38 AM

Old 10-04-03, 02:56 PM

^
Old 10-04-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Screw that. I just sent several viruses to those sites. VIVA LA VHS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RyoHazuki; 10-04-03 at 03:19 PM.