Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone prefer the original LOTR movies instead of the EE?

Old 08-27-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if anyone enjoys the original cut of the LOTR movies (that were in theatres) better than the extended editions. Granted we've only viewed the LOTR:FOTR extended cut, but I'm finding myself enjoying the somewhat shorter, original cut of FOTR for some reason.

If it weren't for the commentaries, I probably wouldn't have picked up the FOTR: EE, but I am thinking I'm not going to enjoy the longer cut of TTT when it makes it to its extended edition DVD this November.
Old 08-27-03, 06:42 PM

*crickets chirping*

It's LOTR, so I wouldn't mind a 6-hour cut FOTR:EE was a very solid and enjoyable package.

Last edited by atimoc; 08-27-03 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 06:44 PM

lol
Old 08-27-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Extended Edition cut, which I finally saw in its entirety last week, is excellent, it really fleshes out the story yadda yadda but what if I just want to see the action???

gotta have both
Old 08-27-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
said it before...and i'll say it again...

agree with The Bus..

AND...i'm glad New Line/Peter Jackson is giving us the opportunity to CHOOSE which we want..

I hope the same thing happens in a galaxy far, far away...
Old 08-27-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, i could also use a 6 hour version, on 1 side of a dvd!

yeah, more the merrier (and pippiner) for LotR.
-

i'll admit that i was only planning to get the extended editions w/ the statues... but i also picked up the regular theatrical ones too. at least, i'm not buying all that LotR junk that peter is trying to peddle.
Old 08-27-03, 08:57 PM

Well, the longer the better. Maybe the question should be is there anything you don't like about the extended/changed scenes.

Though it's great to see how Haldir introduce the fellowship to Lothlorien, the cuts were poorly done. So you have that scene where the elves pointed the arrows at the fellowship (in the original version). Then it's night time and the fellowship looks like they been through hell with dirt or bruises on their faces. Heck, these guys battle orcs, Nazgul, troll coming out looking very clean so what the heck happened to them here? Then Haldir recognize who's who in the fellowshipf (e.g Haldir said, " ah Aragorn, you're known to us" - paraphrasing). Was Haldir blind-folded or something between the daylight meeting at the entrance of the woods and nightfall? It was just kind of weird.

Minor complaint of course. Everything else added was great. It's just ashame that's not theater release.
Old 08-27-03, 09:12 PM
Banned

Yes, I prefer the original theatrical exhibition version better. Its the version that was nominated for Best Picture. I've watched the EE of Fellowship and while there was some interesting scenes added in there were also a few which were downright boring and worthless. All these hypocrites want their EE of LOTR but not Star Wars. Well, I want the theatrical version of BOTH movies.
Old 08-27-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
All these hypocrites want their EE of LOTR but not Star Wars. Well, I want the theatrical version of BOTH movies.
Apples and oranges my friend.
Old 08-27-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder why they call it “extended” edition when there are some scenes from the theatrical release cut from it. They should call it “slightly cut and extended” edition.
Old 08-27-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
I wonder why they call it “extended” edition when there are some scenes from the theatrical release cut from it. They should call it “slightly cut and extended” edition.
I'm not aware of anything that is in the FOTR: theatrical but missing from the FOTR: EE. IF there was, I think it would have been talked about endlessly.
Old 08-27-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Luc TC
Well, the longer the better. Maybe the question should be is there anything you don't like about the extended/changed scenes.

Though it's great to see how Haldir introduce the fellowship to Lothlorien, the cuts were poorly done. So you have that scene where the elves pointed the arrows at the fellowship (in the original version). Then it's night time and the fellowship looks like they been through hell with dirt or bruises on their faces. Heck, these guys battle orcs, Nazgul, troll coming out looking very clean so what the heck happened to them here? Then Haldir recognize who's who in the fellowshipf (e.g Haldir said, " ah Aragorn, you're known to us" - paraphrasing). Was Haldir blind-folded or something between the daylight meeting at the entrance of the woods and nightfall? It was just kind of weird.

Minor complaint of course. Everything else added was great. It's just ashame that's not theater release.
i echo your complaint. that is the only scene that was jarring, imo. i've sort of convinced myself that they are in a dark room... not at night. anyway, to me, that scene did not add anything worthwhile and it was poorly edited into the movie.

but i like all the other additional footage.
Old 08-27-03, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Mantle
I'm not aware of anything that is in the FOTR: theatrical but missing from the FOTR: EE. IF there was, I think it would have been talked about endlessly.
Think Gandalf. Think new opening, think Gandalf Talking to Frodo, think Giving all those Lines to Bilbo. Does that spark your memory? ;P

It was a cut and edit. The word CUT is key here. I infact enjoy the original opening better, the one where it cuts right to Frodo. It's a much peppier opening. I also don't like how they show Bilbo grasp the ring in the beggining. The opening was meant to be peaceful, and show happy hobbit life. We don't need to be thrown into psycho drama right away.

Other than that, I prefer the EE's. It's much more LOTR goodness for my enjoyment. Many of the scenes even brought new enhanced feelings to the movie. New music for Borimir's Dying Fighting, Elves leaving middle earth. Good stuff.
Old 08-27-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. Mantle
It was
Old 08-27-03, 11:45 PM

Soon both the extended version and the original version will be considered "theatrical" versions...

http://www.filmstew.com/Content/Dail...ntID=6599&Pg=1
Old 08-28-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AND...i'm glad New Line/Peter Jackson is giving us the opportunity to CHOOSE which we want..
Unless of course you want both.
Old 08-28-03, 05:23 AM
Cool New Member

i can never have enugh LOTR
Old 08-28-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely not. The extended version of Fellowship really brought the most out of everything I had wanted and more.
Old 08-28-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Luc TC
Well, the longer the better.
Old 08-28-03, 07:32 AM

I have enjoyed both LOTR films so far but the last thing I wanted either of them to be was LONGER.

But then, unless a director was denied creative control or something, I tend to favor the actual theatrical release versions of a film over extended versions. I mean, it's one thing if a director is forced to compromise his intended film, like Speilberg with CE3K, or loses final cut and has his film butchered, like Welles and TOUCH OF EVIL. In those types of cases, I can see doing a new cut. But most of the time adding back in a bunch of extraneous sequences from the cutting room floor is just a marketing gimmick.

I'd like to see those scenes, but I'd rather have them available as separate bonus features with commentary stating why they were removed. Another acceptable solution is something like the ALMOST FAMOUS "bootleg" where you get both cuts of the film. But I resent it when the ONLY version available is NOT the one that actually played in theaters.
Old 08-28-03, 07:58 AM

LOTR is great, but the EE is just too long and a tad boring. Can't watch it all at once, split it over 2 days. Just not a rabid fan like most around here. Might buy both TTT versions, not sure yet.
Old 08-28-03, 08:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Peter Jackson is quick to point out that the EE's are not "Director's Cuts" but they are for the fans. Listening to the commentaries, it is clear that many of the scenes he cut were for a reason...although some he was happy to put back in.
Old 08-28-03, 09:37 AM
Banned

I prefer the longer DVD version.
Old 08-28-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I prefer the EE, BUT I will say that when I show the movie to someone who is unfamiliar with the Trilogy, I start them off with the theatrical version, just so they won't be overwhelmed by the length of the EE. But then they always get hooked and want to watch the EE.

So, in summary, I keep both versions of LOTR: Fellowship, but for the next 2 movies, I'm just buying the EE.
Old 08-28-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Teremei
Think Gandalf. Think new opening, think Gandalf Talking to Frodo, think Giving all those Lines to Bilbo. Does that spark your memory? ;P

It was a cut and edit. The word CUT is key here. I infact enjoy the original opening better, the one where it cuts right to Frodo. It's a much peppier opening. I also don't like how they show Bilbo grasp the ring in the beggining. The opening was meant to be peaceful, and show happy hobbit life. We don't need to be thrown into psycho drama right away.

Other than that, I prefer the EE's. It's much more LOTR goodness for my enjoyment. Many of the scenes even brought new enhanced feelings to the movie. New music for Borimir's Dying Fighting, Elves leaving middle earth. Good stuff.
I like the theatrical opening as well, but the EE opening is growing on me as time goes on. I agree that Bilbo losing the ring is jarring, and I don't think it was necessary to establish that early on that it had that kind of power.

After watching the promo, I think the EE of TTT will add much more to that movie than the LOTR EE did.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.