Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Old 08-27-03, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I make it a habit of being at our local Best Buy every Tuesday at 10am, but this was the first time that there was a line outside waiting to get in. Maybe two dozen people, with another dozen or so sitting in their cars (it was raining a bit that morning). Just about everyone headed right to the TTT display, leaving me free to grab Simpsons 3 and Animal House without having to bodycheck anyone out of the way. Also grabbed one of those free 24 Season 2 preview DVDs... there weren't many available, though, so I'm sure they were gone by 10:30. Remarkably, I didn't have to wait on line (I go in, grab what I need, get out... usually in under 5 mins) and justify my non-purchase of TTT.

Overheard:

Dude One: "Dude, should I get fullscreen or widescreen?"
Dude Two: "Widescreen, dude, fullscreen is for idiots."

There is hope, I guess.
Old 08-27-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Let's see ... you waited in line for almost 30 minutes for a film that's already been out for over six month and put down people getting new releases standing next to you? Interesting.
It was a birthday present for a friend, and that was the only store in the area that carried it. My thoughts were just a reaction to how they tried to make me feel in public, I didn't put down anyone in that line.

Yeah, cuz everyone who buys/likes Lord Of The Rings is a geek who collects all the action figures.
It's a harmless generlization. Don't take it too seriously.
Old 08-27-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Coral
It's a harmless generlization. Don't take it too seriously.
I didn't. I don't have duct tape on my glasses.

And I'm not a fanboy.

K
Old 08-27-03, 09:27 PM

I was in Best Buy today and some dad was picking up the widescreen copy of LOTR:TTT and his son runs up and goes "WIDESCREEN? THAT PUTS BLACK BARS OVER THE IMAGE! GET FULLSCREEN SO WE CAN SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE". So the dad goes "...Are you sure?" and the boy tells him yes, so the dad drops the widescreen and picks up the fullscreen edition.
Old 08-27-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
I was very disappointed with Walmart yesterday when I went to get my copy of TTT. They had a gigantic display filled to the brim...with fullscreen copies of dvd and vhs. They had one little row down the bottom with a few widescreen copies. While I was standing there looking for the widescreen someone picked up a fullscreen copy and said "fullscreen? Where's the widescreen version? I thought they put this out in widescreen...". This really pissed me off because it's things like this that encourage people to buy fullscreen instead of widescreen. Then again, this IS Walmart so what should I expect?
I got mine at walmart too, what really pissed me off was i also wanted to purchase the new Animal House dvd there, they must have had 40 copies on the shelf,all of them foolscreen..
Old 08-27-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
8/26 DVD stories...let's see. Watched Airplane with the commentary. Didn't buy any DVDs.
Old 08-27-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by KTIK
I was in Best Buy today and some dad was picking up the widescreen copy of LOTR:TTT and his son runs up and goes "WIDESCREEN? THAT PUTS BLACK BARS OVER THE IMAGE! GET FULLSCREEN SO WE CAN SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE". So the dad goes "...Are you sure?" and the boy tells him yes, so the dad drops the widescreen and picks up the fullscreen edition.
and you did what?

I haven't had a bad experience excusing myself into someone else's discussion with points on widescreen versus fullscreen. You can see it in their eyes that they are hungry for information.

Consider it your good deed for the day that pays dividends to us all (long term).
Old 08-27-03, 10:05 PM

I cut infront of the guy and picked up the widescreen version like I was going to buy it, in hopes of him asking me why I picked that version. He looked at me like he was going to ask, but his son was already set with the full screen version.
Old 08-27-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some guy actually came up to me and asked me about the widescreen version of Fellowship Of The Ring today and started the conversation with, "The widescreen shows more of the movie, right?" to which I said, "Absolutely." I then went to find him a copy of the widescreen version (there was only full screen on the display table). To my horror, we were completely sold out. He goes, "Don't worry about it. It's not that big a deal." Picked up a copy of the full screen DVD and walked away. I hung my head in shame. Damn Best Buy. We lost a potential widescreen convert cuz we have 40 copies of the full screen and 0 of the widescreen. A sad, sad experience.

As for correcting little snot-nosed punks who think they "put black bars over the picture" in the case of this movie, I would have no problem correcting him and his father. Get to them early, people.

K
Old 08-27-03, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cornelius1047

As for correcting little snot-nosed punks who think they "put black bars over the picture" in the case of this movie, I would have no problem correcting him and his father. Get to them early, people.
I used to do this often while shopping....but not any longer. I grew tired of nurse-maiding people. sometimes I may tell them to look up this forum, since many people here explain it and break it down much better than myself. I still try to turn people onto the film itself...but even that is becoming too much energy spent anymore. I let them buy what they want and I'll focus on my own collection. sounds harsh....but I'm just getting sick of people in stores period. I feel alot better buying most of my dvds on-line, for the most part...plus the selection is flawless!!
Old 08-27-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I used to do this often while shopping....but not any longer. I grew tired of nurse-maiding people. sometimes I may tell them to look up this forum, since many people here explain it and break it down much better than myself. I still try to turn people onto the film itself...but even that is becoming too much energy spent anymore. I let them buy what they want and I'll focus on my own collection. sounds harsh....but I'm just getting sick of people in stores period. I feel alot better buying most of my dvds on-line, for the most part...plus the selection is flawless!!
Yeah, I gotta agree. I've had people ask me before which one to get (which is strange, cause I don't look at all like some geeky DVD freak) and I tell them the WS. When they ask why I just say something like "that's what I've always been told" or something.

Hey, I couldn't care if people buy the WS or FS. It's their choice, and their problem...if it becomes one in the future. As long as they still offer WS versions, which they will, I couldn't care less about everyone else. People here get their panties all up in a bunch over the WS/FS thing...guess I haven't reached that level of concern yet
Old 08-28-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no story to tell since this is the first time in over a year I haven't bought a dvd in a week.
Old 08-28-03, 11:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I watched The Master of Disguise.
Old 08-28-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by Coral

They were surprised/shocked when I mentioned that I couldn't care less about the series, and didn't want to own any of the DVDs.
I truly feel for people who aren't transported by the LOTR films. But then again, there are people who prefer indoors to the outdoors. Different strokes...
Old 08-28-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anybody that lives in Suburban Chicago and has a Meijer near them, I wouldn't recommend Meijer to anybody.
Anybody that lives in suburban Chicago would do well to just drive over to Deep Discount DVD in Itasca and buy there. Went on Tuesday like I usually do, picked up LOTR:TTT (14.38 or so), a stack of MGM titles (Ghoul, all four new Midnite Movies, Poltergeist II/III; 9.18 each), Simpsons S3 (33.49). No crowds, no lines, no people wondering whether WS is better than FS, and a helpful and charming salesperson.
Old 08-28-03, 12:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
Anybody that lives in suburban Chicago would do well to just drive over to Deep Discount DVD in Itasca and buy there. Went on Tuesday like I usually do, picked up LOTR:TTT (14.38 or so), a stack of MGM titles (Ghoul, all four new Midnite Movies, Poltergeist II/III; 9.18 each), Simpsons S3 (33.49). No crowds, no lines, no people wondering whether WS is better than FS, and a helpful and charming salesperson.
If you want no crowds and lines why not shop DDD on-line?

Saves the cost of getting to and fro. However, if DDD came to my state I'd have a day of mourning as then I would have to pay state sales tax.

Enjoy the 6.25 Illinois sales tax on your purchases
Old 08-28-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing this week interested me but I was able to find:
Vampire Hunters: 14.44
The Rachel Papers: 8.84
Enemy Mine: 8.88 - great movie!!

I did notice also that Walmart only had FS copies of Animal House. In fact, I watched 1 guy dig through the pile in vain trying to find a widescreen copy. Sales guy stated that they only received Fool Screen copies. Talk about lack of foresight. It just blows my mind from week to week the amount of utter ignorance these buyers(ppl that do the ordering) have at Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, etc, etc. I have yet to see 1 single store successfully stock the correct DVDs, with the correct amount from week to week. Well.....I digress. On with the stories.
Old 08-28-03, 02:46 PM

Got LOTR:TTT and Simpsons Season 3

Also found promotional 24 DVD on the table. The ad said the first 100 customers would get it, bu I went in around noon. Guess it wasn't too popular
Old 08-28-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I asked my dad to go out to get the wide version of ttt and simpsons seaons 3, up and down the isltles for 10 min and the manager helped him out (I think he perfers the wide over full) since both were on hte other side of the counter.
Old 08-28-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by snoogins
Also found promotional 24 DVD on the table. The ad said the first 100 customers would get it, bu I went in around noon. Guess it wasn't too popular
Seriously, we can't even give the damn thing away, it being free and all. I tried offering it to a bunch of people, but only a couple took it. Whatever. It's their loss. Great show. Can't wait for the whole set.

I also converted another late middle-aged lady to the widescreen side. Hopefully, she won't be mad. Then again, I doubt the DVD was even for her. She just didn't strike me as the type to enjoy the full glory of The Two Towers. I gotta remember to tell these people, "At first, it might be hard for you to deal with, but give it some time, and you'll see the light... and always the full image*."

K

* Does not always apply.
Old 08-28-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I asked once and they said they don't have a customer pick up option. I live like 15 minutes away-can you give me details on where their storefront is?

Thanks!

P.S. I walked into Best Buy at 10:05 am on Tuesday (I hate standing outside when the doors are still locked) and promptly picked up TTT WS and Once Bitten. Took about 3 minutes to find a non-dented Simpsons Season 3. Found one and opened it to find a floater, but no marks on the disc. Total time spent in the store= 10 minutes. I love starting work at 11am!
Old 08-28-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

plenty of 24 discs at my BB but i passed since i still have my season 1 at home...unopened. i gotta find time to watch that sucker!
Old 08-28-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want no crowds and lines why not shop DDD on-line?
Because I invariably find myself IN their store BEFORE my online order has arrived at my home, and think "Why didn't I just wait and pick it up at the store?" That, and the astoundingly crushed copy of "8-1/2" that was shipped to me (looked like someone had stepped on it with Docs before putting it in the box) helped make that decision too.
I asked once and they said they don't have a customer pick up option. I live like 15 minutes away-can you give me details on where their storefront is?
They didn't lie, you can't order online for pickup. But you CAN call the outlet store in advance and have them pull things from the warehouse, THEN pick them up. Or have them do it while you're there (as long as it's before 4 pm, or maybe 3, can't remember). It's on Rohlwing Rd just south of the Elgin-O'Hare. On the west side of the road, there's an office building marked "Infinity Resources". That's it - you'll see the outlet store easily. Anything you can order from DDD or Critics Choice Video, you can get here. On your first visit, ask about calling ahead for things, they'll tell you how to do it. Be aware that they can't take mail-order returns at the outlet store, either, I learned that with my "8-1/2"!