Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Your 8/26 DVD stories...

Old 08-27-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
I was in line for almost 30 minutes trying to purchase Contempt:CC.

Seems that everyone had a copy of LOTR:TTT, and many had 2 - 5 copies.

A few were surprised that I wasn't purchasing LOTR:TTT, while one guy stated "oh, he's just going to wait for the 4-disc release".
They were surprised/shocked when I mentioned that I couldn't care less about the series, and didn't want to own any of the DVDs.

They all looked at me funny like I was denouncing their religion or something.

That's the last time I stand in line with a bunch of geeks.
I'm sure they were going to stop by Burger King or Walmart to purchase LOTR action figures next.
Old 08-27-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to Wal-Mart to pick up TTT and Stitch. They had Stitch in a display in the aisle in front of the electronics section, but had TTT locked away in a case. So, after finding a worker to get me a copy of TTT, he proceeded to lead me around the store until we found a register that actually had someone working at it. They only rang up TTT, and told me I had to take the other to the front.

I do not understand why they would be so damn protective of this film, while allowing me to wander the store with Stitch.
Old 08-27-03, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went into my local Best Buy yesterday after work, walked right past the display in the main aisle of TTT and the first thing that caught my eye was Animal House: DSPE for $12.99! Sweet, since I was getting that anyway that was a hell of a price. Right behind that on the other side of the same big display wall thing was The Simpsons Season 3, which I also picked up. 2 down, 4 to go. Went to the New Releases section and immediately saw Mr. Show Complete Third Season, snag. 3 down, 3 left. Went to the drama section and picked up Levity, then swung by the Sci/Fi-Horror section and picked up Tomb of Ligeia/An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe but couldn't find God Told Me To. Eh, not bad 5/6. Walked up to the counter to check out, the guy rings up my stuff and says "Wow, you're getting all these DVDs but you're not gonna pick up Two Towers?? What's wrong with you? "

After that I went down to the Newbury Comics store where I'd been just two days earlier and saw Night Of The Living Dead Millenium Edition for $17.99. I didn't get it at the time because I wasn't sure if that was a decent price. I thought I'd remembered seeing it at Borders for $14.99 before but when I checked the other night it was gone. Anyway, went to Newbury, checked NOTLD...it was gone!! Damn. Checked there to see if they had God Told Me To, they didn't. I left.

Went over to the mall to the FYE. Saw Simpsons Season 3 there for a dollar more than BB had it (34.99 instead of 33.99) but with a free exclusive talking bottle opener. Damn! I should've bought it there. Anyway, they DID have NOTLD: ME for $24.99. :P Friggin full MSRP, but hey...it's hard enough to find it so I bought it. Also snagged Election while I was there on sale for $9.99.

All in all I spent about $140 on 7 DVDs, well...7 actual boxes but Mr. Show and the Simpsons obviously are more than 1 disc. By far my biggest day in QUITE a while.
Old 08-27-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Coral
A few were surprised that I wasn't purchasing LOTR:TTT, while one guy stated "oh, he's just going to wait for the 4-disc release".
They were surprised/shocked when I mentioned that I couldn't care less about the series, and didn't want to own any of the DVDs.

You'll probably get the same reaction here.

But for what it's worth, you're not alone! I have no interest in LOTR either.

I don't have much of a story to tell.
I went to two stores looking for the best price on The Simpsons: Season 3, and could have saved a buck or so by going to a third, but I didn't bother. Amazon Women on the Moon and the four MGM Midnite Movies double features were shipped Friday from DVDEmpire, and I'm REALLY looking forward to getting them!

Rob
Old 08-27-03, 10:11 AM

I went to Best Buy Yesterday and got a copy of LOTR TT and Animal House. They have the large tables with all the new releases on them and a BB clerk stanking behind them. I proceeded to rumage through the TT dvd's and found a WS copy, the BB clerk looked at me and said make sure that you are picking up the correct copy we have FS and WS are you sure that is what you want he said. I looked at him and said I don't see any foolscreen copies. He looked at and picked one up and said right here. I then told him that FS is not in my vocabulary and therefore does not exist...He shrugged and I walked off, Just wanted to be a smart@$$
Old 08-27-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy killed me yesterday. It was a gloomy, stormy day here after work, and traffic was horrendous. Traffic lights were out all over, and so everything just sucked, big time. I took a detour into Best Buy, to just browse and let rush hour pass, but I didn't think about it being the foretold, ominous date of 8/26.

I was compelled by dark, marketing forces to buy...
The Comedy of Terrors / The Raven
Countess Dracula / The Vampire Lovers
The Haunted Palace / The Tower of London
The Tomb of Ligeia / An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe
Simpsons Season 2
Simpsons Season 3
South Park Season 2

I am poor, but I have cool stuff.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 08-27-03 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man they are idiots. I watch my movies with black bars proudly (with glasses and piss poor deph perception)
Old 08-27-03, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, you must have been like a god to them.
Old 08-27-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Wal-Mart after work to buy milk. Saw LOTR:TTT for $14.87, picked it up, looked at the cover and put it down. I have to wait for mine, it's in the mail.

Went home and watched Donnie Darko for the first time. I can wait till my copy of TTT comes.

I avoid Circuit City and Best Buy here at all costs. Its such a pain to get to either of them, plus 10% sales tax has caused me to order everything online. I give up on B&M's around here.

Last edited by The Void; 08-27-03 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:20 PM
Cool New Member

I went to my CC yesterday to pick up Two Towers, as was every other person in the store. All went smooth, full and widescreen clearly displayed.

Picked up my widescreen and went to the cashier. Before she even scanned it she said "15.66". I asked her if she had sold a few of them today (sarcasm) and she replied "a FEW!?!?!". Obviously she had scanned a ton and memorized the price after tax.

Good, easy in and out. Just how I likes 'em.
Old 08-27-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nemein
WRT actual DVDs from this week TT is the only one that interested me and I got that in the mail No muss, no fuss and the people at the post office even know me by name now
I know exactly what you mean....95% of my purchases are online and deliveries are usually whilst i'm at work meaning i have to go to the sorting office to collect my packages.
Anyway..i can be standing in a queue with several people before me yet when the person behind the counter sees me i'm instantly recognised so that they just go out back and fetch my package meaning i usually go straight to the front of the queue
Old 08-27-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Went to Best Buy, got what I wanted. Long lines and such, but not bad.

My only mildly interesting story came later that day. At dinner, I pulled out LOTR: TTT and The Simpson's Season 3 and asked my two boys what they wanted to watch. (As I was fine with either.) We caught a double-feature at the drive-in some time back with X-Men2 and LOTR: TTT, but they fell asleep before the Battle of Helms Deep. I had told them about it and figured they'd at least wanna watch that scene.

I spent the rest of the night watching Simpson's Episodes! Cranking TTT will have ta wait until tonight.
Old 08-27-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally posted by Jack's Smirking
Wow, you must have been like a god to them.
that's just a stupid response.
Old 08-27-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by HotThang
6ft 2 , 212lbs, Male, 35 years old

I got it today and am proud of it! ;-)

Sam
DING!

Oh wait thats something else. I am sure you got it for the two (2) extra dance numbers didnt you?
Old 08-27-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by retihsuhnt
DING!

Oh wait thats something else. I am sure you got it for the two (2) extra dance numbers didnt you?
HAHAH! No I am actually a big Kelly Clarkson fan! (not enough to get into the "OMG Kelly!" club but I like her style)

Just watched it and it wasn't half bad. Now time for Glitter...

Sam
Old 08-27-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HotThang, Im glad you found my humor in it. I actually rented TTT last night and with coupon I got the American Idol movie for free.

I figured for a freebie I cant trash it too much and Clarkson can be very easy on the eyes.
Old 08-27-03, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that's just a stupid response.
What, you expected better from some "geek that's headed to Burger King" next?
Old 08-27-03, 01:59 PM

Picked up Simpsons season 3 and Animal House at Walmart. Then i saw Drowning Mona and thought what the hell($9 Cdn). I'm usually on the ball with making sure i get widescreen but i screwed up for the first time ever. I know a friend of mine's parents will probably buy my fools screen version so now i have to get it in widescreen.
Old 08-27-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I was in line for almost 30 minutes trying to purchase Contempt:CC.

Seems that everyone had a copy of LOTR:TTT, and many had 2 - 5 copies.

I'm sure they were going to stop by Burger King or Walmart to purchase LOTR action figures next.
Let's see ... you waited in line for almost 30 minutes for a film that's already been out for over six month and put down people getting new releases standing next to you? Interesting.

Le Mepris (Contempt) is an interesting film in a terrific DVD release (the extras are worth getting on their own merit). But you seem to have an agenda of film smugness that doesn't compell me to discuss the film any further with you.
Old 08-27-03, 03:28 PM

Picked up Two Towers at Meijer (Illinois store, similar to Wal-Mart), got it for $14.95. Didn't cost me anything, because somebody gave me a gift card, so I used it on that.

Anybody that lives in Suburban Chicago and has a Meijer near them, I wouldn't recommend Meijer to anybody. Major employee attitude problems, higher DVD prices than local stores, such as Wal-Mart (Who Framed Roger Rabbit was going for $5.00 more than what Wal-Mart is selling it for, plus they had most of their DVD's locked behind glass.

Then went to Wal-Mart. Got Rambo III in the cheapie bin for $5.88.

Also in the cheapie bin was Glitter with Maria Carrey for $5.88. So if you're interested in that movie, check out Wal-Mart.
Old 08-27-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
My story is relatively short.

I ordered the majority of my 8/26 releases from DDD and foolishly chose the free shipping (Media Mail) option ...which means I'll be lucky if they arrive by the time the 11/9 releases are out.

Luckily, I recently received "The Simpsons: S3" and "Futurama: V2" from Amazon to vent my frustration.
Old 08-27-03, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Who knew you can make a story out of simply buying a dvd.
Old 08-27-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gcomeau
Then i saw Drowning Mona and thought what the hell($9 Cdn). I'm usually on the ball with making sure i get widescreen but i screwed up for the first time ever. I know a friend of mine's parents will probably buy my fools screen version so now i have to get it in widescreen.
The Canadian version of Drowning Mona is full screen only...there is no widescreen version in Canada.

MATT
Old 08-27-03, 04:01 PM
Banned

I, uh, bought Lord of the Rings at Target because you get a FREE 7-UP 2-Liter. So, screw you Best Buy!!
Old 08-27-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, cuz everyone who buys/likes Lord Of The Rings is a geek who collects all the action figures. You know, I actually have a bunch of action figures. None of them are from the LOTR series. *places finger on the duct tape on glasses and pushes glasses back* Now, don't insult me or I'll throw you into Mount Doom or something!

Heh, fanboys.

K

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.