Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Question about Disney DVD OOP policy?

Old 08-26-03, 07:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why doesn Disney even do the Out of Print thing. I don't see the point really. I mean all they really do is create false demand and a false collecters market. And since they get no money from the collector resale market anyway...I don't really see the point.

Of course you know this is leading up to the Disney Tins. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I just want to watch these movies. I don't care about the stupid Tins or number. I don't understand why Disney can't have a collector version (limited to 125k copies) and a regular version for people who would just like to watch.

Am I crazy...doesn't that make everyone happy. I just can't beleive I have to pay $100 to see some historical mickey mouse shorts. Disney is so messed up!

Last edited by cokekiller; 08-27-03 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-26-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you just want to watch these movies RENT THEM Plain and simple. McFly or Homer which is it.

I just feel that your post could of been presented in a more professional manner. Granted I'm not an English teacher.

The devils advocate statement to this is to position yourself to buy DVDs when they are in print. 2 years ago MMILC could have been bought for under $25 at most stores. Granted 2 years ago one might not of had a DVD player let alone $25 to buy a DVD. It's almost impossible to satisfy everyone. But in a nutshell Disney has satisfied me most of the time. I'm just glad the Tins are/were available. If you want to gripe about something gripe about Song of the South.

I'm sorry call me callous. But griping like this is in pour taste. You snooze you lose. Like I said above rent them if you just want to see them.

I'm sure I'll possible get ripped on.
Old 08-26-03, 08:47 PM

It does help Disney finacially. They can count on big sales on the rerelease of a movie that's been OOP for a while. They can point jumpin their earnings and show their investors that they're doing well financially.
Old 08-26-03, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 842 Likes on 518 Posts
You don't have to pay $100 unless you wait until it goes out of print. You could always preorder it now, and watch it to your hearts content...then sell it, and be the one making $100 instead of spending it.
Old 08-26-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sm8680
But in a nutshell Disney has satisfied me most of the time. I'm just glad the Tins are/were available. If you want to gripe about something gripe about Song of the South.
Disney and satisfied in the SAME sentence?? Are you on something????
Old 08-26-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Yes, the guy is obviously on something, look at his spelling too!! (he, he!!) (I don't usually mention the spelling mistakes, but just had to here, sorry!)
Old 08-26-03, 09:05 PM
Defunct Account

Some genius at Disney (a long time ago) figured out that they have a new market for their movies every 7-10 years. Before VCRs they released their movies to theaters every 7 years or so. And every time they did, there was a new crop of 3-10 year old who had never seen "Bambi" or "Snow White" and the movies did respectable at the box office. Which is great for Disney since it cost them next to nothing to release them again. With the advent of VCRs, they figured they'd try the same thing. Release the movie for a while, pull it from the shelves, and then release it again with a big fanfare years later. It worked well. So they are doing the same thing with their DVD releases.

As for the tins, Disney released a lot of them. 150,000 each in the first set. That's a large run for a LE DVD. I think Anchor Bay's largest run for a LE was 50,000, and most of them are very easy to find.

-Videophile
Old 08-26-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The thing that gets me is I didnít have a DVD player until last year due to medical reasons and long stays in the hospital. Now I have one, I wanted to get Lion King II, but no itís OOP and people want $100+ for it. The only way I was able to get it, was a good college friend sent it to me so I could make a copy of it on my computers hard drive, then burn it onto a DVDR.

Last edited by Tazwolff; 08-26-03 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:01 AM

Taz:

You will no doubt get offended and make all sorts of excuses for you and your friends illegal behavior. But, please don't discuss it here and expose the rest of us to potential legal action by association. I have worked very hard to amass my legal library, so I don't care but I don't want the hassle Especially when discussing Disney as they are one of the most defensive of the copyrighted material and they do read these boards. Permit me to suggest that you familiarize yourself with copyright law REAL GOOD, the $100 would be very cheap if they decide to come after you

Skip
Old 08-27-03, 12:08 AM
Cool New Member

SM8680....Haha...typical answer...

"oh its just sour grapes. He is just mad cause he didn't buy them when they were out. I have a big penis because I did.

If you get your self esteem from owning certain DVD's, you have bigger problems than I. I just want to watch em...not sleep with em! I have this gross picture of you in bed at night caressing your complete unopened/unwatched Disney Treasures collection whispering (Mr. Burns style) "Oh my lovey undented beauties...you will make me rich someday..."

Lol...

I don't even know why I respond, but anyway....I did not know about the Disney tins until recently. I was not even in a position to buy DVD's 2 years ago when they 1st came out. I have the 3 upcoming on preorder right now. I was simply saying, now that I know about them I wish I could get them at a normal price. I still don't see how having a standard available edition effects the value of a limited print run of a collectors edition. It would be nice to have that option. No video store in my area carries the Disney Treasures, I'm suprised the ones around you do. You are lucky...Its not just you snooze you lose....If you didn't even know about them you a are out of luck also. Just seems goofy to me (no pun intended)

;-)

Last edited by cokekiller; 08-27-03 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

Whether or not you agree with the pratice of burning DV-R's of copyrighted movies...this also brings up a good point.

Don't you think the practice of cyclical OOP encourages downloading of pirated material. I really want to see some of these cartoon shorts. I don't want to pay $250+ on ebay to see them. I would buy them legally if I COULD, but I can't. So I don't see there being much choice but to burn a pirated copy.

Maybe I can rent them from netflix....I haven't checked there yet...

Haha....I really want to see these DVD's :-)
Old 08-27-03, 12:52 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I saw LITTLE MERMAID discs for sale at eBay for $500 each (I think somebody was selling 4 or 5 of them)...I just wanted to say LOL if anyone actually pays that much for it! Yikes!
Old 08-27-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I mentioned this in some other thread on disney going OOP but I really do think it helps them sell the movies they have out now.. I mean most parents know a kid will watch some film / cartoon the love a zillion times.. Heck I have seen daycare kids watch some films 3 times in a row..

anyways.. odds they would not sell as many of the junky sequels that go right to video / dvd if they had the main ones on the market too..

I still think it's a lame thing for Disney to do being they are costing kids the joy of seeing some of the films when, at the age it might impact them the most. Adults can wait 7 years for a film but a kid at age 5 is not the same at age 12... So IMO keeping films off the market just to pad profits even higher is pretty lame. Being we are talking about children films.. They should be able to be bought and watched a zillion times in a row if some kid wants too.
Old 08-27-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by skipnet
Taz:

You will no doubt get offended and make all sorts of excuses for you and your friends illegal behavior. But, please don't discuss it here and expose the rest of us to potential legal action by association. I have worked very hard to amass my legal library, so I don't care but I don't want the hassle Especially when discussing Disney as they are one of the most defensive of the copyrighted material and they do read these boards. Permit me to suggest that you familiarize yourself with copyright law REAL GOOD, the $100 would be very cheap if they decide to come after you

Skip
All my Disney DVDs are either copies or bootlegs. And most of them are in print. And I'm not talking about just the animated stuff. I'm talking about anything released under the Disney name or in any way associated with that rat punk Mickey! That includes Miramax, Touchstone, etc. Why? Cuz I hate Di$ney! They stole my childhood, then ransomed it for my precious soul, that's why!! I'm thinking of boycotting Luca$ too, cuz he tried to feel me up in a bathroom once, and if I boycott Luca$ I might as well boycott $pielberg and all his movies and all the studios that release movies that these butt clowns are in any way associated with. No Gremlins for me, Warner Bros.!! Nothing but copies and boots from here on out! Cheap prices, great quality, special features out the pooper!

K
Old 08-27-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 300 Likes on 199 Posts
The OOP thing raises sales. My sister buys Disney dvd's when they come out because she wants them for her future kids. She doesn't actually have any kids yet, or plans in the near future, but when she has kids, they'll have a Disney dvd collection. They would have sold the dvd's to her later if they didn't put things on moratorium, but I imagine it's cheaper to produce and market only a few dvd's at a time.

I also think the OOP state of videos is great for me as a buyer. I'm selling a lot of my kids' dvds and getting more than I paid for them, even though they're used. Essentially, my kids got a free library and now that they've outgrown all but their favorites, their old dvd's have enough value to fund a newer, more mature dvd library. I think it's great but I imagine the people buying used movies for over $50 hate it. Just get in the game now. Also, keep in mind that vhs copies are often much cheaper used (like only a couple bucks.) Some of the shorts were released on vhs tapes, and seem to be expensive on half.com, but I would guess that they aren't as high if you searched for them locally at flea markets and garage sales.

tasha
Old 08-27-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm more upset that people are paying $100 for The Lion King II

True the OOP thing sucks, but its not like Disney just up and decides to OOP titles.

They usually give you some time to pick them up. And for the big animated titles Disney usually lets you know from the start, and you can find them for a long time after (I picked up Beauty and the Beast about 2 weeks ago from a Disney Store in my local mall).

As for the tins, if you dont pick those up ASAP, you're usually out of luck (I have never seen the popular tins in stores longer than 2 months after release around here).

Or you could be slick, find someone unsuspecting, purchase some damaged Disney DVDs for cheap, then pay the $10 a disc to replace them.
Old 08-27-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disney has been doing this for TWO DECADES now. It shouldn't be taking anyone by surprise.

In fairness to them, they are much quicker with re-releases now... and they've cut the timetable for the plantinum releases in half.
Old 08-27-03, 10:53 AM

Do you think they will ever re-release the first Tin collection. I would like to have them but I'm not ready to pay 100$ for it.
Old 08-27-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skipnet
Taz:

Skip
I don't think that guilt by association applies in this case. He has a copy of a DVD. It's not that big of a deal. This forum frowns on where to purchase bootlegs from pirates that are in it to make money. Also, this forum frowns on people who discuss where to download movies. However, if Taz has a copy of his friend's DVD and doesn't attempt to sell it or make it available for download, no one is going to come knocking on his door or ours.
Old 08-27-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 409 Posts
Originally posted by Cornelius1047
All my Disney DVDs are either copies or bootlegs. And most of them are in print. And I'm not talking about just the animated stuff. I'm talking about anything released under the Disney name or in any way associated with that rat punk Mickey! That includes Miramax, Touchstone, etc. Why? Cuz I hate Di$ney! They stole my childhood, then ransomed it for my precious soul, that's why!! I'm thinking of boycotting Luca$ too, cuz he tried to feel me up in a bathroom once, and if I boycott Luca$ I might as well boycott $pielberg and all his movies and all the studios that release movies that these butt clowns are in any way associated with. No Gremlins for me, Warner Bros.!! Nothing but copies and boots from here on out! Cheap prices, great quality, special features out the pooper!

K

Bra-frickin-vo!!!! Take a bow
Old 08-27-03, 03:59 PM
Banned

Lion King 2 fetches 100 bucks???? I'm off to sell my copy right now! Anyone want to pay 80? I had no interest in it even when I purchased it but I got the box set with all the limited issue discs when it was released. The compression is very dated.
Old 08-27-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lion King II is to be re-released late next year.

cokekiller: Hey dude you so wanna be like me. Flashes a tin. See I got MMILC, Silly Symphonies etc etc.... You want one. You can't afford it you can't afford it. You can't afford it. you can't afford it. Cause you is on da welfare and your dad is an alcholic. You want it go ahead and touch it siccccccc.

Last edited by sm8680; 08-27-03 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 04:37 PM
Cool New Member

:-)
Old 08-27-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
I don't think that guilt by association applies in this case. He has a copy of a DVD. It's not that big of a deal. This forum frowns on where to purchase bootlegs from pirates that are in it to make money. Also, this forum frowns on people who discuss where to download movies. However, if Taz has a copy of his friend's DVD and doesn't attempt to sell it or make it available for download, no one is going to come knocking on his door or ours.
Correct. I don't intened to sell it or give away copys. It was something to hold me over until the re-release after Lion King. There is just no damn way I am paying that much for this movie.

It's still wrong to do, and I don't deny that.
Old 08-27-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

F*** Disney!

Disney hides behind children, pretending that they care about them when all they care about is the almighty $! When is the last time you saw an msrp reduction on a "Disney" dvd? That's right, never. Why is it cheaper to buy Disney dvds EVERYWHERE else except the Disney store? Why doesn't Disney (like most studios now) support dts on their main titles, but they include it on their crappy sequels? For the same reason they hold back on those other good features. So they can double dip with the good stuff later. Disney sucks from a consumers' standpoint, but children don't know any better and they're the ones that make Disney money... and lots of it. I frickin HATE Disney.
Btw I own almost every animated Disney dvd and all the tins.
Did I mention that Disney sucks?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.