Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

WWE now owns all AWA and ECW video libraries!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as confirmed by Linda McMahon
Old 08-26-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GASP!!

Is this a bad thing? Does this mean that these back catalogs will never see the light of day?

Considering we don't see a whole lot of back catalog of WWF shows, let alone from other federations (now defunct).

Personally, I'd LOVE to see more ECW dvds......maybe have Paul Heyman and other former ECW workers do some commentaries on them....

One can dream (and one can have dreams crushed).
Old 08-26-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They aren't going to do anything with them, so don't get excited.
Old 08-26-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, this actually seems like the worste thing that could happen to the ECW catalog. I have ever ECW DVD released, they are the only wrestling DVDs I own (except for the great Hogan DVD) or would ever buy. And more really need to be released. But I would be shocked if WWF put out new ECW released anytime soon. If anything they should get somekind of wrestling network or something & show all the footage there.
Old 08-26-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Three words for you: Region Free Player. All the ECW PPVs are out on DVD in the UK and they got 4 two hour editions of the ECW TV out. All excellent stuff!

Now that the McMahan's own the tapes, who knows how long it will last. Grab them while you can!
Old 08-26-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
Three words for you: Region Free Player. All the ECW PPVs are out on DVD in the UK and they got 4 two hour editions of the ECW TV out. All excellent stuff!
Believe me, I know. I will not allow myself to buy a Region free DVD player. I buy an absurd amount of DVDs as it is, if I had access to play DVDs from all over the world, I'd be broke, homeless, girlfriend-less, & just my region free DVD player to sleep on & make sweet love to.
Old 08-26-03, 06:00 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do NOT understand why the WWE is so quick to market anything and everything yet they don't seem to have any interest in putting out their back catalog on DVD
Old 08-26-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This will only be a good thing if WWE puts this all out for the consumers or some sort of Wrestling Network
Old 08-26-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sessa17
Believe me, I know. I will not allow myself to buy a Region free DVD player. I buy an absurd amount of DVDs as it is, if I had access to play DVDs from all over the world, I'd be broke, homeless, girlfriend-less, & just my region free DVD player to sleep on & make sweet love to.
Um...that's a bad thing?
Old 08-26-03, 07:36 PM

WWF is like a jealous child. More ECW dvds will never reach the light of day because Vince knows that it was such a superior product. Well, at least for a good 4-5 years it was a superior product, then went to hell.
Old 08-26-03, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by wordtoyamotha
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I do NOT understand why the WWE is so quick to market anything and everything yet they don't seem to have any interest in putting out their back catalog on DVD
As was also mentioned in the WWE financial update, the main thing holding back their catalog is the old WWF logo itself. Who knows how they'll work around that without another lawsuit or some new agreement with the World Wildlife Fund.
Old 08-26-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh man, don't get me started on the World Wildlife Fund
Old 08-26-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Why didn't the World Wrestling Federation resort back to there original name the WWWF(World Wide Wrestling Federation)?
Old 08-26-03, 08:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, they now have everythign they need to start an all-wrestling channel. With wrestling in the current low state right now this may never see the light, but I reckon it can't do any worse than some of the other niche channels out there. The biggest obstacle would be in delivering new stuff since they are locked into all their cuurent contracts for Raw, Smackdown, etc. I suppose they could put out some Heat-type shows, but those generally are pretty lousy. Maybe if they could bite the bullet and actually showcase some indie regional feds (without feeling the need to swallow them up like Vince did throughout the 80s).
Old 08-26-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would be awesome if they could show some indie ****. Living in Kansas I rarely ever get to catch anything
Old 08-26-03, 09:00 PM

I do not understand why you are all so down on Vince. Are you all upset HHH has Stephanie?

Vince is a genius, without him, there never would have been wrestling, he made wrestling what it is today, as for old footages of WWF, who wants to see old footages of bruno Sammartino wrestling in a barnyard in a crowd of 50? Vince has released best of that highlights top matches of the past in crowd of millions, not footages that has a crowd of 50!@

As for libraries of ECW, AWA, NWA, WCW, Vince is a good businessman. he will incorporate those rare footages of his top superstars when they were jobbers on those leagues to show their misuse in ECW and WCW, and show how much they improved in WWE. Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE. So Vince will show a beofre and after footages when those wrestlers best of video and DVD comes out.

not to worry, Vince is a smart businessman.
Old 08-26-03, 09:04 PM

^ Put [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags around it.

Last edited by KTIK; 08-26-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by angryyoungman
As was also mentioned in the WWE financial update, the main thing holding back their catalog is the old WWF logo itself. Who knows how they'll work around that without another lawsuit or some new agreement with the World Wildlife Fund.
then how are they releasing old stuff as extras? (examples: Hogan and HBK DVDs)
Old 08-26-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
Wow prince_of_saturn. Quite an observation. Do you honestly believe yourself when you say guys like Van Dam, Booker T, Benoit, Dragon, Goldberg, Rhyno, etc. couldn't do great matches in WCW or ECW?
But according to their interviews on WWE magazine, they all said they were jobbers in ECW and WCW, they never won a match nor belts, they never gotten any push, just going along with what they said in the magazine.
Old 08-26-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Goldberg said that then he deserves to be shot
Old 08-26-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rhyno and Dreamer jobbers in ECW?? like, HUH??? More like jobbers in WWE!!
Old 08-26-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by prince_of_saturn:
I do not understand why you are all so down on Vince. Are you all upset HHH has Stephanie?
If you are kid that has only been watching wrestling for a few years, I can understand. But if not, then you no nothing about wrestling at all. Vince is the single worste thing going for wrestling. He is an out of control egomaniac. The only other ego & perhaps person here cares about besides himself is his wife named HHH. he is scared to death to try anything different or bring in new talent. He refuses, which has been proven time & time again, I mean absolutely REFUSES to push any wrestler he did not create himself. Goldberg is yet further proof of that. He constantly puts himself on camera for no reason. He literally doesn't allow wrestlers like RVD to perform half the moves they are capable of. RVD constantly get's as much of a crowd reaction as HHH or any of the top guns, & he does so without any mic skills whatsover, yet Vince will never give him a full push b/c Vince didn't create him. All Vince cares about is mic skills. Rather than push guys like RVD & show the world what he is capable of, Vince is the man responsible for such brilliant things as Kane being a necrophiliac, the "kiss my a$$ club" & Goldust. Vince is obsessed with showing his a$$ or any man's a$$ as much as possible as well.

Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE. So Vince will show a beofre and after footages when those wrestlers best of video and DVD comes out
This PROVES you are either a kid or do not know anything about wrestling. Have you actually watched ECW or WCW. RVD & Tajiri have put on matches that ANY, I mean ANY wrestler in WWF couldn't do on there BEST day with superpowers. They have done things that have never, will never, & can NEVER be duplicated in the WWF. Rey Mysterio Jr. & ESPECIALLY Ultimo dragon are regarded as two of the single greatest in ring talents that ever lived. And not one of these guys have ever put on a match in WWF that is one tenth as amazing as there worste matches in ECW or WCW. In fact, they aren't even allowed to perform at the same level as the use to, b/c Vince knows that they will make his WWF wrestlers (Angle & Lesnar aside) look like fools. RVD especially has so many moves people have never seen before it's ridiculous. And you have it so a$$-backwards I now think you must be joking. Guys like Rhino & others were "jobbers" in ECW? They were ECW's main events man.

not to worry, Vince is a smart businessman.
Yeah, look at how well that whole XFL thing was

Last edited by Sessa17; 08-26-03 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-26-03, 09:57 PM

I wouldn't look for anything to be done with this old footage other than for DVD extras or showing some of this stuff on Confidential. Vince probobly only bought it, because it gets him one step closer to completely owning all of wrestling. He has had the WCW library for quite some time, and all he did with it, was use it for his WCW vs. WWF angle. I was a big WCW fan before it went sour in the latter days, and would love to see some of that on DVD (not to mention the ECW stuff). The current product to me is unwatchable. Wrestling is dead to me now, when the WWE occasionally puts on a decent match, the next segment turns into trash, or the ending is ruined. I just want the classics on DVD. Pretty much any match featuring Ultimo Dragon, or Rey Myserio Jr. or Eddy Guerrero or Chris Benoit back then was gold. Come on Vince, your gonna have to give your old opponents some credit and release their stuff, if ya wanna get MY money!
Old 08-26-03, 10:46 PM

Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE.

Hate to tell you, but you got that one backwards. If you want to see exceptional matches from any of the above (save Goldberg), then you have to watch them in their original company. Vince has a habit of holding down any established superstar that he himself didn't create.
Old 08-26-03, 10:47 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by prince_of_saturn
Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE.
Huh?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.