Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

WWE now owns all AWA and ECW video libraries!

WWE now owns all AWA and ECW video libraries!

Old 08-26-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE. So Vince will show a beofre and after footages when those wrestlers best of video and DVD comes out.
Van Dam was a main eventer in ECW
Booker T was a World Champ in WCW
BPP was a major player in WCW
Benoit, Guererro & Mysterio aren't exactly being pushed in the WWF either
Dragon's best stuff is in Japan
Goldberg job? Not until he got to the WWF
Tajiri, Rhyno & Dreamer all were much bigger players in ECW than in the WWF.

This is all assuming you are serious, and Lord I hope not.
Old 08-26-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestion to move to Sports Talk?
Old 08-26-03, 11:22 PM

To answer a question above, theonly logo they have to blur out is the WWF scratch logo which was used from '98-02. The old logo is ok, which is the on is use on all Michaels and Hogan matches on thier DVDs.

Now onto another facet:

"This PROVES you are either a kid or do not know anything about wrestling. Have you actually watched ECW or WCW. RVD & Tajiri have put on matches that ANY, I mean ANY wrestler in WWF couldn't do on there BEST day with superpowers."

Actually this proves that you may not know as much about wrestling as you think. What praytell is so amazing about Van Dam and Tajiri's ECW matches. I have NEVER seen an RVD match in any federation period that has come close to the high end quality of a Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, etc,
RVD is a lowsy worker, plain and simple. His selling is abhorrent, he's not terribly good on the mic, nor does he seem to know how to pace a match. If you mean put on meandering, garbagy spotfests, you don't need superpowers to do so. Tajiri is a good wrestler, verygood in fact, but he's nowhere near the best in the world. He had some very good matches with Super Crazy, but nothing else that was absolutely awesome.

" They have done things that have never, will never, & can NEVER be duplicated in the WWF. Rey Mysterio Jr. & ESPECIALLY Ultimo dragon are regarded as two of the single greatest in ring talents that ever lived. "

By whom? Are they really better than Tiger Mask? Dynamite Kid? Jushin Liger? Chris Benoit? Great Sasuke? Mysterio and Dragon are great workers, but please think about statements like that before you actually make them

"and not one of these guys have ever put on a match in WWF that is one tenth as amazing as there worste matches in ECW or WCW. In fact, they aren't even allowed to perform at the same level as the use to, b/c Vince knows that they will make his WWF wrestlers (Angle & Lesnar aside) look like fools. "

RVD could not get to Kurt Angle's boots on anyday. As for match quality, I seem to recall a Ladder Match on Raw last year between RVD and Guerrero that was far better than anything Van Dam did in ECW, including his Jerry Lynn stuff.
No offense, Mysterio's tag matches with Edge vs. Benoit and Angle from No Mercy Last year and the 2/3 falls rematch on Smackdown were as good as ANY of the 4 of them have done in their career. The only exception is Mysterio havign what might have been the greatest match in WCW history vs. Eddy Guerrero at Halloween Havoc '97

"RVD especially has so many moves people have never seen before it's ridiculous. And you have it so a$$-backwards I now think you must be joking. Guys like Rhino & others were "jobbers" in ECW? They were ECW's main events man. "

I think you need to take a reality pill over what ECW was, a decent, but garbagy organization that had a lot of good ideas. However, to even insinuate that they were a major player is deceiveing. In fact, (and you can credit the Wrestling Observer for this one), ECW was NEVER profitable. By the end, they were simply a feeder system for WWF and WCW and their booker had run out of ideas. Hell, Vince even put money INTO ECW in the dying years, allowed some of his talent (Taz, Dudleyz) to go back and hired Heyman right away after the company folded.

I agree the above post was probably posted to rile people up, but don't go posting some nonsensical reply. I think we can all agree the WWF/E is in a rut right now, and it's ok to debate why and what to do about it, but don;t let it degenerate into a post about how great "insert your favorite worker is".

Paul Jacobi
Old 08-26-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Guys like Van Damme, booker t, Big poppa pump, Benoit, guerro, Mysterio, Dragon, Goldberg, Tajiri, Rhyno, Dreamer, couldnt do great matches in WCW nor ECW, all they did was job over there, but finally found their niche in WWE. So Vince will show a beofre and after footages when those wrestlers best of video and DVD comes out.
spoken like a true WWF zombie fan.

I was a HUGE WCW fan, I thought WCW was way better than WWF and the only reason I still watch is to see some of my favorites from WCW like Jericho and Booker T in really bad WWF written angles.

I have to say I am sick to death of hearing fans state the completely incorrect statement that WWF (or WWE now) was or is better at pushing and using the younger talent than WCW was. "WCW was just old guys." "WCW wastes the young talent" "WWF is much better at pushing thier talent" ... did any of these people even watch WCW?? yeah... WWF was so much better ay using the talent... thats way they had HHH vs Rock in the main event for like 7 PPVs in a row, right?

Let's look at how much better WWF has used the former WCW talent whose careers were in the trash in WCW...

Rey Mysterio... In WCW he was Cruiserweight champ... in WWE he's just about in the same ranking, I heard WWE asked him to tone down his style.
Benoit... in WCW he was often the US champ, had a World title match, wrestled top main eventers like Bret Hart... in WWE he's back to wrestling Eddie Guerrero.
Saturn... WCW big story lines, Tag Title, Ravens Flock... In WWF he had a mop. Yeah WWE is so much better at using the talent.
Raven... WCW US Title, Tag Title, plus ECW champ, big fued with DDP... In WWE... uhhh.. yeah.
Booker T - 5 time 5 time WCW World Champ... in WWE he's teaming with Goldust, wrestling in matches over Shampoo and down in the IC title race.
Scott Steiner... WCW World Champ, biggest heel in the company. in WWE they have him a good guy (why???) and wrestling Test??
Mark Jindrak - former WCW Tag Champ... in WWE jobbing to Rodney Mack.
DDP - Top face in WCW, WAY over with the crowd... WWE brings him in as a bad guy (why??) then he's the Positive guy.. (the worst gimmic ever). The ruined him.
Kidman - pretty much the same place he was in WCW.
Mike Awesome - ECW World Champ, Big star in WCW (even tho some of his gimmics there were silly).. in WWE... they drop him.
Lance Storm - Big star in ECW, Bigger Star in WCW. WCW US Champ, Cruiser champ. the Canadian gimmic was huge. in WWE... yeah. LOL
Hugh Morris - WCW US Champ, leader of the MIA.. in WWE he's the Tough Enough guy.
Kanyon - Whos Betta Than Kanyon??? Kanyon was awesome in WCW and just beginning to become huge in WCW when it ended. Why isn't WWE using him??
Buff Bagwell - Huge star in WCW, in WWE, they don't have a clue and drop him after a week.
Kevin Nash - WCW World Champ, always a main eventer, always the best on the mic. in WWE... yeah...
Eddie Guerrero - in WCW he was US champ, he's finally back up to where he was with that same title again. I'll give credit where it is due, his gimmic is great, and seems more over with the crowd than he was in WCW.
Scott Hall - nWo leader, Top WCW superstar.. always great on the mic. in WWE they fire him cause he shows up drunk. so what? WWE should worry less about thier safe stable locker room and more about putting on a good show, Scott Hall was best in WCW when he was drunk and on the mic. Give him a beer and put the mic in his hand.

I could go on forever listing former WCW guys. The only guys from WCW that have been doing better in WWE is Jericho (good, I'm glad, he's my favorite), Stacy, Jamie Noble and Shane Helms (Hurricane), I could also go on about the failure of the WCW/WWF fued storyline.. even with the limited number of WCW guys they had at the time, a 10yo could have made that storyline work.. only the WWE could ruin it. same thing with the nWo, the gimmic so big it beat Vince McMahon for 3 years. How could that fail? Now they are running Goldberg into the ground the same way.

Sorry, but yeah, Im not afraid to admit I was a WCW fan, Nitro was so much better, it was unpredictable and crazy, you never knew what was going to happen in WCW. WWE is so safe and predictable, you can see everything coming a mile away. I remember on Nitro when Scott Stiener or Kevin Nash came out and got on the mic you never knew what crazy thing they were going to say or do, it was unscripted and fun. now in WWE when those guys get mic time (which isn't much) nobody cares, it's boring and dull.

Last edited by turborobb; 08-26-03 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 04:14 AM

Where would the WWF be today without ECW?

Their entire "attitude" was copped from ECW. The majority of their wrestlers came through ECW. Anytime Vince needed talent . . . ECW was there, just throw a little money to the guys and mistreat them as needed.
Old 08-27-03, 05:41 AM

ok I see this has already turned into an arguement like most of the WWE posts here do

but anyways here is what they are gonna do with the footage

WWE will be sending all the footage to Japan to be Digitally Remastered and from there Linda said they are going to look into offering the footage in a Pay Per View type system and possibly DVD somewhere down the road.
Old 08-27-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by krazykat72
To answer a question above, theonly logo they have to blur out is the WWF scratch logo which was used from '98-02. The old logo is ok, which is the on is use on all Michaels and Hogan matches on thier DVDs.
Hoganís DVD uses the scratch logo.

But I donít get the logic. Why would one WWF logo ok and not the other?? I think any Logo is ok as long as the covers of releases says WWE and not WWF.

As for Vince, like him or not he made wrestling what it is today. Without Vince and Hogan wrestling would have been nothing!

Goldberg is [unfortunately] going to be champion in the next PPV.
Old 08-27-03, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
from there Linda said they are going to look into offering the footage in a Pay Per View type system and possibly DVD somewhere down the road.
no wait,
Old 08-27-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
WWE will be sending all the footage to Japan to be Digitally Remastered and from there Linda said they are going to look into offering the footage in a Pay Per View type system and possibly DVD somewhere down the road.
What does that mean exactly
Old 08-27-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Who is/was *really* worse for the industry: McMahon or Vince Russo???
Old 08-27-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Class316

As for Vince, like him or not he made wrestling what it is today. Without Vince and Hogan wrestling would have been nothing!

Hate to break it to ya, but did you know BEFORE Vince, guys like Sammartino and Zbyzko (the dad) Murdock and Shiek and Von Raschke filled up Madison Square Garden and packed up arenas night in and out? Before Vince turned wrestling into a "cartoon" in the 80's, it had a rich history, territorial, and people were going to the matches without media hype, without wrestlers yakking on the mic for 20 minutes? Vince destroyed classic wrestling, which WAS big business once.
Old 08-27-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"big pappa pump" was always a better wrestler when he was his real name scott stiener and with his brother rick.
Old 08-27-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by salamander2
Hate to break it to ya, but did you know BEFORE Vince, guys like Sammartino and Zbyzko (the dad) Murdock and Shiek and Von Raschke filled up Madison Square Garden and packed up arenas night in and out? Before Vince turned wrestling into a "cartoon" in the 80's, it had a rich history, territorial, and people were going to the matches without media hype, without wrestlers yakking on the mic for 20 minutes? Vince destroyed classic wrestling, which WAS big business once.
Yea but it wasnít a multi million dollar mainstream type big business.
Old 08-27-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
"big pappa pump" was always a better wrestler when he was his real name scott stiener and with his brother rick.
Actually Rick and Scott Steiner aren't their real names. They're Rob and Scott Rechsteiner (sp). But I get the point. The Steiner Brothers were a great team back in the day.
Old 08-27-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by weargle
Who is/was *really* worse for the industry: McMahon or Vince Russo???
Russo
Old 08-27-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Class316
Yea but it wasnít a multi million dollar mainstream type big business.
Well since there was no cable TV, no PPV, no Video, no DVD, no mass merchandise back then, it isn't a fair comparison, but I am sure it was a million dollar business, to the promoters, as wrestlers sure didnt ,make much then. I am just tired of new fans always claiming it was never a major business back then whe in fact it was.
Old 08-27-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have heard about McMahon making a PPV or Wrestling channel with all these libraries, or releasing DVDs.

I simply don't think it will happen. He'll buy all these libraries, and pull a random match or two out whenever they decide to release a DVD in conjunction with a push of a wrestler (Hogan and Michaels DVDs come to mind).

The only way I think we'll see some monster DVD sets is if WWE goes in the red and needs cash, or their library is bought out if they go under.

I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 08-27-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dude , you are so clueless about wrestling it's not even funny.

Originally posted by krazykat72
Actually this proves that you may not know as much about wrestling as you think. What praytell is so amazing about Van Dam and Tajiri's ECW matches. I have NEVER seen an RVD match in any federation period that has come close to the high end quality of a Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, etc,
Lets see. You mentioned Benoit & Guerrero both of whom are WCW wrestlers, perfected the their craft in WCW, & earned their reputations as 2 of the best in the business in WCW. And as amazing as some of their matches have been in WWF. You need to track down some WCW footage to see them at their best. Have you seen RVDs & Tajiris matched in ECW. The speed, the death defying moves that have NEVER been done in WWF & never will be. You are just a WWF zombie, this is a pointless debate with you. Go track down the EXC DVD with a Tajiri/Super Crazy match on it & then tell me fruity HBK has done a better match than that. Go watch RVD vs Bigelow where he leaped from the ring about 10 rows into the crowd & tell mw a Kane match is better than that.

RVD is a lowsy worker, plain and simple. His selling is abhorrent, he's not terribly good on the mic, nor does he seem to know how to pace a match. If you mean put on meandering, garbagy spotfests, you don't need superpowers to do so. Tajiri is a good wrestler, verygood in fact, but he's nowhere near the best in the world. He had some very good matches with Super Crazy, but nothing else that was absolutely awesome.
Dude, you simply do not know wrestling. RVD is an INCREDIBLE worker. He never get's injured, he will job to anyone. This is a man who WAS THE ECW FRANCHISE, he was the Austen of ECW Mr. PPV, & then he goes to WWF where he has been made a nobody, is not allowed to wrestle at his full capacity, & considering the fact he barely talks he still get's a better pop than pretty much anyone & still doesn't get pushed, yet he never complains & gives his all every single night. Compate that to whiny Austen who walked out & quite b/c a story line wasn't going his way. WWF is a joke man. And yeah, RVD's selling isn't the best, but neither was Hogan, & he is only the most popular wrestler in the history of the business. RVD is NOT SUPPOSE TO BE GOOD ON THE MIC, it shows again your brainwashed mentality. Wrestling isn't about being good on the mic, only Vince thinks this b/c all Vince cares about is marketing a wrestler & his catch phase. Look at Austen's 8 million shirts without putting on a decent match in years. And you can't even read my posts right, I never said Tajiri was near the best in the world.

By whom? Are they really better than Tiger Mask? Dynamite Kid? Jushin Liger? Chris Benoit? Great Sasuke? Mysterio and Dragon are great workers, but please think about statements like that before you actually make them
You have to be joking. You must just be doing this to get a reaction. And once again you mention Benoit, who is NOT a WWF wrestler. He rose through greatness in WCW. And yes, Benoit is one of the best pure wrestlers EVER. You post as if you get all your opinions off a WWF website or read them out of RAW magazine. And you probably do. You mention the same names they would say. And Ultimo Dragon is a legend man, so is Mysterio, you don't even seem to know who Dragon is. Vince is a moron who waited till the guy is near 40 to finally sign him. Vince HATES guys like Mysterio, he has said it. He can't market them & WWF wrestlers cannot keep up w/ there style of wrestling. He breaks down & get's them b/c he knows how popular they are around the world & having them actually gives his poor product at least some respect.

RVD could not get to Kurt Angle's boots on anyday. As for match quality, I seem to recall a Ladder Match on Raw last year between RVD and Guerrero that was far better than anything Van Dam did in ECW, including his Jerry Lynn stuff.
No offense, Mysterio's tag matches with Edge vs. Benoit and Angle from No Mercy Last year and the 2/3 falls rematch on Smackdown were as good as ANY of the 4 of them have done in their career. The only exception is Mysterio havign what might have been the greatest match in WCW history vs. Eddy Guerrero at Halloween Havoc '97
Now I will give you Angle & Lesnar, I already said that. And that ladder match cannot hold a candle to an ECW match. Don't you get it man, Vince doesn't let them do what they did in ECW. It will never be as good.

I think you need to take a reality pill over what ECW was, a decent, but garbagy organization that had a lot of good ideas. However, to even insinuate that they were a major player is deceiveing. In fact, (and you can credit the Wrestling Observer for this one), ECW was NEVER profitable. By the end, they were simply a feeder system for WWF and WCW and their booker had run out of ideas. Hell, Vince even put money INTO ECW in the dying years, allowed some of his talent (Taz, Dudleyz) to go back and hired Heyman right away after the company folded.
I think every single person here will agree this shows how brainwashed you are. If ECW was so "garbagy" why was Vince so desperate to buy up all their talent. Why has Vince stolen idea, after idea, after idea, after ECW. You ever here of a little wrestler that WWF fans seem to like called Stone Cold Steve Austen. The guy came from ECW my man, & WCW.

but don;t let it degenerate into a post about how great "insert your favorite worker is".
Again, read the posts before you reply to them. Where did I talk about who my favorite worker is? None of the guys I've discussed are my favorites. You are clearly a wrestling fan, step outside the poor quality that WWF is, & check out some old footage & read what people actually have to say about the ECW & WCW guys.

Last edited by Sessa17; 08-27-03 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 09:54 PM

"Dude , you are so clueless about wrestling it's not even funny."

We'll soon see won't we?

"Lets see. You mentioned Benoit & Guerrero both of whom are WCW wrestlers, perfected the their craft in WCW, & earned their reputations as 2 of the best in the business in WCW. And as amazing as some of their matches have been in WWF. You need to track down some WCW footage to see them at their best. Have you seen RVDs & Tajiris matched in ECW. The speed, the death defying moves that have NEVER been done in WWF & never will be. You are just a WWF zombie, this is a pointless debate with you. Go track down the EXC DVD with a Tajiri/Super Crazy match on it & then tell me fruity HBK has done a better match than that. Go watch RVD vs Bigelow where he leaped from the ring about 10 rows into the crowd & tell mw a Kane match is better than that. "

speaking of clueless...., Benoit and Guerrero had both been wrestling in Canada, New Japan and Mexico for years before they went to WCW. I've been watching wrestling since 1986, and have watched them their entire careers. Benoit's best years are almost undoubted wrestling as Wild Pegasus against the likes of Great Sasuke, Black Tiger (Guerrero) and Shinjiro Ohtani in '94. he had some wonderful years in both WCW and the WWF, but the quality of work is relatively the same for him in both companies. As for Eddie Guerrero, he was an *awesome* heel and worker for AAA in '93-94 while working with Art Barr in Mexico as Los Gringos Locos. I suggest you track down the AAA "When Worlds Collide PPV" from that year to see for yourself. he was also great as the aforementioned "Black Tiger" in New Japan for years before he went to WCW. To say that both guys "perfected their craft" in WCW is downright incorrect since both were well regarded as being at the top of their profession in regards to work *before* they got there.

I think you confuse professional wrestling and spotfests quite a bit. Pro Wrestling is and always will be about the ability to tell a story in the ring. A great example would be the Benoit/Angle match from the Royal Rumble this year. Benoit got a standing ovation afterwards, not because of a ton of crazy moves, but because they told a great story in that championship match. That's why guys like Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Kenta Kobashi, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Toshiaki Kawada, Jushin Liger, Dynamite Kid etc are regarded as the best ever. It's not the ability to go out and do a bunch of insane moves, it's the ability to use certain moves to tell a compelling story. Admittedly, Tajiri and Crazy had some very good matches in ECW, but none of them approach Shawn Michaels best work, specifcally the 2 ladder matches vs. Razor, his match with Mick Foley in september '96 (Mindgames), his Hell in a Cell with the Undertaker, etc. As for me being a WWF zombie, while I've been a fan for a long time, whose interest has been waning for awhile, I find it interesting that I've pointed out workers from NOAH, WCW, WWF, All Japan, New Japan, WAR, and AAA that I enjoy, yet you continually harp on 2-3 workers from ECW. I also enjoy you throwing Kane into the post when he wan't mentioned at all in my prior one.

"Dude, you simply do not know wrestling. RVD is an INCREDIBLE worker. He never get's injured, he will job to anyone. This is a man who WAS THE ECW FRANCHISE, he was the Austen of ECW Mr. PPV, & then he goes to WWF where he has been made a nobody, is not allowed to wrestle at his full capacity, & considering the fact he barely talks he still get's a better pop than pretty much anyone & still doesn't get pushed, yet he never complains & gives his all every single night. Compate that to whiny Austen who walked out & quite b/c a story line wasn't going his way. WWF is a joke man. And yeah, RVD's selling isn't the best, but neither was Hogan, & he is only the most popular wrestler in the history of the business. RVD is NOT SUPPOSE TO BE GOOD ON THE MIC, it shows again your brainwashed mentality. Wrestling isn't about being good on the mic, only Vince thinks this b/c all Vince cares about is marketing a wrestler & his catch phase. Look at Austen's 8 million shirts without putting on a decent match in years. And you can't even read my posts right, I never said Tajiri was near the best in the world. "

yep, that ECW franchise that went out of business and whose biggest PPV buyrate was a .26 for Heatwave '99. You can check out www.otherarena.com for all the PPV numbers in the last 16 years while you're at it. Once again, I'm not arguing with the fact that WWE is in a funk right now, but you seem to be intent on atacking me other than simply saying "We have differing opinions on RVD, let's leave it at that", instead you call me a zombie, which is insulting. The fact that his selling isn't very good makes him a very less than incredible worker. He's ok, and is very athletic. I wish he'd put it to more good use and work on his fundamentals.
As for Steve Austin, he is quite frankly (IMO) a better worker than RVD could ever dream. He had wonderful matches with Bret Hart in 96-97, and even after coming back from his neck surgery had a great series with Rock (WM 15, 17, 19), HHH (No Way Out '01), Kurt Angle (SummerSlam 01, Unforgiven '01, RAW 1/01, 9/01), Mick Foley (Oer the Edge '98, Unforgiven '98) and the list goes on. He was also involved in the most successful storyling in modern wrestling history (The Austin/McMahon saga) and is generally regarded as a very good-great worker for the majority of his career.

"You have to be joking. You must just be doing this to get a reaction. And once again you mention Benoit, who is NOT a WWF wrestler. He rose through greatness in WCW. And yes, Benoit is one of the best pure wrestlers EVER. You post as if you get all your opinions off a WWF website or read them out of RAW magazine. And you probably do. You mention the same names they would say. And Ultimo Dragon is a legend man, so is Mysterio, you don't even seem to know who Dragon is. Vince is a moron who waited till the guy is near 40 to finally sign him. Vince HATES guys like Mysterio, he has said it. He can't market them & WWF wrestlers cannot keep up w/ there style of wrestling. He breaks down & get's them b/c he knows how popular they are around the world & having them actually gives his poor product at least some respect."

I like how you gloss over Liger, Tiger Mask, Dynamite Kid and Sasuke and hone in on Benoit. It's funny since I don't believe any of the above names are mentioned anywhere on the WWE's website. Which means I must have *gasp* know something about wrestling and seen other federations to make that distinction. Ultimo Dragon had what was thought to be career ending surgery a few years back and has permanent damage in his arm. In fact, he only came out of retirement last year to work for his own Toryumon promotion in Japan. I agree he's terribly misused, but you obviiously have no idea what you're talking about saying Vince waited until he was 40 to get him since A) He's 36, and B) He only came out of retirement a year ago.
I'd like to see you produce a quote where Vince says he hates cruiserweight wrestlers.

"Now I will give you Angle & Lesnar, I already said that. And that ladder match cannot hold a candle to an ECW match. Don't you get it man, Vince doesn't let them do what they did in ECW. It will never be as good. "

I disagree with you on the ECW work, that is a matter of opinion

"I think every single person here will agree this shows how brainwashed you are. If ECW was so "garbagy" why was Vince so desperate to buy up all their talent. Why has Vince stolen idea, after idea, after idea, after ECW. You ever here of a little wrestler that WWF fans seem to like called Stone Cold Steve Austen. The guy came from ECW my man, & WCW."

If you still think I'm brainwashed, I'm awfully sorry. Steve Austin was in ECW for about 3-4 months in 1995. His character there was *slightly* similar to the Stone Cold character at best (which really came into it's own in late '96-97). In WCW he was a very good wrestler as a member of the Hollywood Blondes, but the character was nothing like what he'd become. and if you want to get real technical, he worker in World Class championship wrestling for nearly a year before going to WCW. And which talent was Vince so *desperate* to pick up. People left ECW because they were getting paid precious little, and if you look closely, WCW took way more talent than WWF at the time.

"Again, read the posts before you reply to them. Where did I talk about who my favorite worker is? None of the guys I've discussed are my favorites. You are clearly a wrestling fan, step outside the poor quality that WWF is, & check out some old footage & read what people actually have to say about the ECW & WCW guys."

I suggest you do the same. I mentioned I'm unhappy with the product, you seem . I suspect I've seen far more wrestling than many people here. The reasons are varied, but rest assured it doesn't have to do with them simply not letting certain wrestlers "do their thing".

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 08-27-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ECW did feature "garbage matches" but they also featured a wide array of matches. Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko, and Jericho all wrestled for ECW, and was "stolen" by WCW. Guerrero and Malenko use to put on 30 minute matches, where no weapons or anything were involved.

Rey Mysterio and Psicosis(sp? yeah I know) had a feud in ECW (I know it started in Mexico).

So ECW was not 100% "garbage matches".

As for the "spot fest vs. technical wrestling" it is all a matter of opinion. Some people want to see a 30 minute submission match, while others would rather watch a fast paced luchadoor match. Some liked both.

You really can't say, "Your wrong for liking spot fests and calling it wrestling." It's all wrestling. Hell even A-Train vs. Nathan Jones would still be wrestling.

It's just a matter of what type of wrestling you prefer.