Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer to buy your DVD's at B&M stores instead of On-Line due to damages?

Do you prefer to buy your DVD's at B&M stores instead of On-Line due to damages?

Old 08-20-03, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if you prefer to buy your DVD's at B&M (Brick and Mortar) stores instead of On-Line due to concerns over damage to either the case or the DVD itself.

I prefer to buy at the store, so that I can check the packaging for excessive wrinkles, dents, cuts (due to stock people using blades to open the boxes) or other damage. Also to check whether the DVD is loose inside, which could mean damage to the disc itself.

Also if there is a problem with the DVD, it is easier to go to the store for a replacement, then going through the process of returning to an On-Line store.
Old 08-20-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Nope. In purchasing hundreds of DVDs online, I've only had 3 with damage, and have never had a problem getting them replaced.

I think I've had at least that many at B & Ms, and they've been far more annoying about my returning it (i.e., not wanting to take a return even though the disk is scratched, or the thimble is broken).
Old 08-20-03, 01:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No. As Ginwen said, the few times I've had problems, the online stores were fine with getting them replaced. Plus, no B&M store can beat online prices, especially if you include Columbia House and their prices of $7-8/DVD.
Old 08-20-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
The only ones I've had with dents were the Disney Treasures I got from Best Buy [just tossed in a 'padded' envelope.] Now, Amazon--they know how to pack their stuff--shrinkwrapped to a cardboard, stuffed in a big box--that thing's not going anywhere.

If I know exactly what I'm getting, to me it's a toss up between price and convenience. I bought Rocky and Bullwinkle from Target, because I was there and it was on sale, but now DDD has it for cheaper, no tax, no shipping, so I might return my copy to Target and re-order from DDD.

Apart from those dents on the Treasures, I've only had two DVDs not be in very good to like-new or new shape; one was from Ebay, was very cheap, and had about 15 seconds of skippage. Another was used from Skinnyguy, and it skipped all to hell [as in, making it unwatchable and crapping out my player], and the return process there went extremely smoothly.

I've had a few disks sound loose, or spin on the spindle, but no damage yet, either for store-bought or net-bought.

If I were to buy a dvd or set that is in a fragile package, I would probably be more likely to buy at B&M, unless I was very familiar with how the E-store packaged and shipped their stuff.
Old 08-20-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I've never had any DVD ordered through the internet damaged during shipping. But then again, there's a first for everything...

***crosses fingers and knocks on wood***
Old 08-20-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoy B&M's for dvd's that I haven't pre-ordered and gotten a good deal at. Usually B&M's will have a better deal then the online shops on popular titles offering them at Loss leaders which beat the hell out of any Online deal.
Old 08-20-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't worry much about online purchases arriving damaged. It's only happened once, and the exchange was quick and easy.

I buy most new releases at B&M stores, but that's mainly because I'm too impatient to wait for my stuff to ship. I do buy most of my catalog titles online though.
Old 08-20-03, 03:01 PM

I do all my shopping online. The nearest store to where I live is Sam Goody and everything costs suggested retail. Since I collect a lot of anime, that is 29.95 plus 9% sales tax (TN) for each DVD. Meanwhile I can get the same disc for around 18 shipped online. I've only had two scratched DVDs from DVD Empire (within the same week). I returned one and went to a B & M store to just buy a copy of the other. Funny thing was the only copy they had there was loose and scratched as well. At least that one played though. DVDE quickly replaced my other disc and got it to me fast with no hassle.
Old 08-20-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll buy B&M in certain cases, mainly box sets. I've had too many come crushed and ruined in the mail. Also will skip a preorder online if I know it's going to be cheaper at a B&M, which it often is when shipping prices are involved. There is a local B&M that runs unadvertised specials on most new release DVDs for the first week. You generally don't know the price until it rings up, but I've had very good luck there. The EE box set of LOTR for $17.99 or so, and many $15.99 catalog releases at $9.99, for example.
Old 08-20-03, 03:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, the only time I buy from a B&M is either an impulse buy when I come across a good deal, or those times when the B&M is about the same (or lower ) price as an etailer.
Old 08-20-03, 03:26 PM

With CH's average price at about $7, it's all online for me until the b&m's can beat that price.
Old 08-20-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by HoNuts
With CH's average price at about $7, it's all online for me until the b&m's can beat that price.
same here
Old 08-20-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No hesitation to buy on-line (except for DVD Planet, but that's another story). In fact, sometimes if I think I may not have a chance to get to my local Best Buy for some sale items, I just order them on-line.
Old 08-20-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I can wait, it's CH.
Otherwise I prefer mail order, such as Amazon, DDD, or BestBuy.com
I just don't want to hassle with running over to a store for a $16 item when it can get delivered to me for practically the same price.
Old 08-20-03, 05:42 PM

I almost always buy from B&M's. (Future Shop mostly) I just prefer to do Interac transactions... cuz my Visa never has enough room for everything I want.
Old 08-20-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what damage from on-line orders? I've had maybe 1 in 250+ shipments. I've seen worse on store shelves.
Old 08-20-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've gotten tons of discs from the internet and never had a problem.
Old 08-20-03, 06:23 PM

Out of about 400 DVDs purchased online, I've only had to exchange one which was damaged. It would never enter my mind to spend that extra 20-30% plus tax (8.8% in Seattle) at a B&M to try to avoid potential damage.

Also, I rarely buy the big mainstream releases that tend to get discounted at B&Ms, so I can always find a much better deal online.
Old 08-20-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts
I usually by regular releases at B&M's for the lower prices, and I ALWAYS buy box sets at B&M's since the chance for a disc problem or a floater is increased.

My online buying is limited to catalog titles releases that I think won't be easy to find right away (Midnight Run comes to mind...).
Old 08-20-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Of my roughly 350 DVD collection, I'd say over 95% were purchased online and probably under 10 were damaged in some way or another. Mostly just the usual broken spindles, scratched discs and tins, etc. Nothing really major other than the 24 - Season one boxset I ordered from Amazon, which arrived completely crushed with the discs unharmed and still intact.
Old 08-20-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For boxed sets, I now go and buy them in a store. I had to return Babylon 5 Season 1 5 times when I ordered it from CH. Each and every time I had them send me a new one, it would come in a box almost twice as big as the set. And each time, at least 3 discs were off the HUB and scratched to hell, no matter how many times I told them to make sure they “securely” package it to prevent this.

All other DVDs I'll purchase from on-line without a problem.
Old 08-20-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a few damages from purchasing online. But the saving from buying online versus B&M is just too great to worry about the risk of occasional damages.
Old 08-20-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just go with the price. If it's harder to find the online price is usually best. I've never had any damage from the mail, but just today I had to return NL's Vacation from Circuit City. It had a round scratch that was pretty bad.

The sprocket was also busted and when I checked their other 8 copies, only one did not have the cd shaking around inside.
Old 08-20-03, 10:06 PM
Banned

I bought the Truffaut's Antoine Doinel boxset from Amazon. The package isn't very sturdy, but it came undamaged. So I have no problem ordering DVDs online.
Old 08-20-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I went to buy my South Park Season 2 set at a B&M I had to ask for one that was not damaged since all the ones on their sales floor had these ridiculous security straps around the box that cut into the cardboard.

And no... I usually prefer online.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.