Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Night of the living dead (1990) - re-release ever?

Night of the living dead (1990) - re-release ever?

Old 08-20-03, 03:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Night of the living dead (1990)

Since day and dawn of the dead are getting the special edition treatment. Do you think they would re-release the night of the living dead remake?

I'd love for Anchor Bay to get the rights to it, or even a special edition from Columbia Tri-Star. Maybe a superbit!

Does anybody have the current disc that's out right now?
Old 08-20-03, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used to... untill i traded it

it's a good disc... but yes, it left allot to be desired, like improved 5.1 surround (or maybe DTS?) & unrated if possible...

i'd grab the Superbit one if there's any... doubt it though
one can only hope
Old 08-20-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
I have the current disc. It is fine! I have no desire for fake 5.1 surround, and it doesn't need DTS. As for unrated, the included featurette has scenes there were cut from the film. The anamorphic widescreen transfer looks great on my 34" HDTV direct-view TV.

If you are a fan of the film, there is no (good) reason to hold off getting the current disc.
Old 08-20-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the current disc is pretty decent, go on and pick it up.
Old 08-20-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I love the disc. The Savini commentary is worth buying the disc for.

Doug
Old 08-20-03, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick this one up now.

I love the original living dead but just find the remake to be better. I gess it's becuase the zombies in the original just aren't scary at all. Plus Bill Mosely is in it. Chop Top rules!
Old 08-20-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Camp Blood
I love the original living dead but just find the remake to be better. I gess it's becuase the zombies in the original just aren't scary at all. Plus Bill Mosely is in it. Chop Top rules!
I like (not love) the original NotLD, but prefer the remake. The original was groundbreaking, but I feel that it pales in comparison to the remake.

I own the remake, but don't own the original. One of these days I guess I'll buy it. *shrug*

On a similar note, unlike countless other people, I think DAY OF THE DEAD is the best of the original trilogy.
Old 08-20-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I own both the orignial NOTLD and the remake - and personally, I dislike the remake. I don't care for Savani's effects in it and some of the story changes , mainly the character change for Barbara , don't go well with me..

I also am inclined to agree with the poster above...'Day of the Dead' is the best of the original trilogy.
BUB!!!
Old 08-20-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all three from the Dead trilogy plus the remake. The disc is fine and worthy of purchase.
Old 08-20-03, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I own both the orignial NOTLD and the remake - and personally, I dislike the remake. I don't care for Savani's effects in it
Savini didn't do the effects in it, being busy directing the thing and all.
Old 08-20-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have DVD's of both the original and the remake but what really blew my mind was a high definition broadcast of the remake the other night on HDNET Movies.

The video was stunning. It's due to be shown a few more times if you have the gear for this.
Old 08-21-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I also am inclined to agree with the poster above...'Day of the Dead' is the best of the original trilogy.
BUB!!!
Cool. It seems as if we're a rare breed. A lot of people dismiss DotD because it doesn't have the level of social commentary that the other two have. I think it's the scariest of the three and the zombies are actually convincing. And, yes, Bub.
Old 08-21-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently watched this remake and would give it */****. A pale comparison to the original.
Old 08-21-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

hehe, just goes to show that tastes vary.

The original NOTLD is my all-time favorite horror film. I thought that NOTLD90 was one of the best remakes/retellings of any film. (with Bodysnatchers and The Thing being two other examples)

They did a great job of freshening the story while showing respect for the original... and throwing a few little storyline deviations to keep us fans of the original a little off balance.
Old 08-21-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am interested in getting the best versions of this complete triology but I am not sure which versions to get. It seems like there are a thousand different releases of Night of the Dead and I can't find Dawn of the dead (although it appears that it will be rereleased).

So which version of Night of the Living Dead do you guys recommend? When will Dawn of the dead be released?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cajun_junky
I am interested in getting the best versions of this complete triology but I am not sure which versions to get. It seems like there are a thousand different releases of Night of the Dead and I can't find Dawn of the dead (although it appears that it will be rereleased).

So which version of Night of the Living Dead do you guys recommend? When will Dawn of the dead be released?

Thanks!
Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain, which is why you see so many different versions. They are mostly crap, a few are watchable. The only GREAT edition is from Elite Entertainment... they had an earlier (now OOP) edition, but they've now rereleased it with a few more extras as a "Millenium Edition":

That's the one you want to get. Don't even consider the others.

As for DAWN, it is set to get a major re-release from Anchor Bay in early '04. Your choice is to wait for that or pay obscene eBay prices for the current editions. I'd wait.
Old 08-21-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks for the information. I will wait til next year for the release of Dawn of the dead. I saw that Columbia House has Day of the Dead so I will probably pick that up then hit Deepdiscountdvd for the Millenium Ed of Night of the Living Dead.

Again, thanks for the info!
Old 08-21-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you look around, you can still find the AB US Theatrical Cut of Dawn of the Dead at local stores. Considering the little annoyances that AB introduced into their recent Day SE, there's a good likelihood that the upcoming Dawn will have similar annoyances.

I just rented Day:SE yesterday (amazing that the local mom-n-pop shop had this for rent!) It looks like I'll be keeping the original release and get the SE if AB doesn't release a fix.
Old 08-21-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
Night of the Living Dead is in the public domain, which is why you see so many different versions. They are mostly crap, a few are watchable. The only GREAT edition is from Elite Entertainment... they had an earlier (now OOP) edition, but they've now rereleased it with a few more extras as a "Millenium Edition":

That's the one you want to get. Don't even consider the others.
I enthusiastically and whole-heartedly agree. The Romero commentary is great.
Old 08-21-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beware when ordering from Columbia House!

i've seen the film listed in the mag from time to time..& it's the first AB release,not the new SE!

So make sure you know what release it is before ordering.
Old 08-21-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Columbia House doesn't have the Day Of The Dead SE... Yet. Nor do they have the old release, or Dawn for that matter... They do have NOTLD (90) however and the AB 30th Anniversary abomination.
Old 08-21-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, you are right Johnny Z. I didn't see Day of the Dead at all at CH!

I guess I will get Night of the Living Dead Millenium Edition and the AB 2-disc Day of the Dead now and wait for the release of Dawn of the dead.

I can hardly wait. I love horror flicks even the bad ones........
Old 08-22-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cajun_junky
I guess I will get Night of the Living Dead Millenium Edition and the AB 2-disc Day of the Dead now and wait for the release of Dawn of the dead.
This is the only way to go with these films.