Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Old 09-08-03, 12:46 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Well, after seeing this post & this review, I see what you mean.
Thanks for that review link. I find it slightly annoying that the major defect seen by many people in THE MEANING OF LIFE is being minimized. Even in those review updates, it's referred to as a "slight error" and then the point is made again that the reviewer's player "handles it well." Come on! This disc is unwatchable on any player that reads the screwed up flagging. That's a huge error, and even if your player does "handle it well" you can still see the defect if you actually watch the disc.

As other major websites have shown us in the past (I'm looking at you Home Theater Forum), the companies dishing out the promos often hold an influence over reviewers who don't want the gravy train to stop. I'm not making accusations, but I am saying that it doesn't take a genius to see that reviewers give priority to the titles that come free of charge and it's pretty clear when the criticisms are being pitched softball. Maybe Savant just doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's no excuse to let his blatantly false review stand without comment or correction.
Old 09-08-03, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm disappointed... I didn't read this thread until today and until today I was thinking of getting Convoy because of the good review it got... But not now. Looks l can't trust this site alone.
Old 09-26-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
so...

i'm at Best Buy on Tuesday picking up some stuff.

while i'm at the front desk waiting for a cute saleschick to check on something, I look around and see a copy of Convoy on the countertop. When she comes back, we take care of what I was waiting on and that's when curiousity gets the best of me. I ask her if a customer brought it back and why.

She told me the customer brought it back complaining about the picture...
Old 12-18-03, 09:51 AM

Just a follow-up on this....

Ingram Entertainment, the largest (or second-largest) wholesaler of DVDs to retailers has removed Convoy from their online website. Baker & Taylor still lists it but now has zero inventory on this title and doesn't show that they've re-ordered it. This is a pretty good indication that PFE's "rights" to this title are in dispute at the very least.

The PFE DVD is indeed a dupe of the UK release (which is anamorphic, but also cut by 3 minutes) with an APEX-type PAL-NTSC conversion, but doesn't retail the 16x9 enhancement found in the UK release.

For anyone wanting to own this film, this version is the only true anamorphic and uncut version available.

I still am in the dark as to how PFE felt they aquired the rights. I just can't imagine that they would do this without some reason to believe they owned the film. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They were supposed to release Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park & Night Of The Comet about 2 months ago & never did. Maybe they were put out of business?
Old 12-18-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El Kabong
They were supposed to release Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park & Night Of The Comet about 2 months ago & never did. Maybe they were put out of business?
I hope these low-lifes were put in JAIL!
Old 12-23-03, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the "Coming Soon" part of their website:

http://www.pacificfamilyentertainmen...am_blocks.html

Says a great deal about this whole issue.