Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Community
Search

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because it's something Geoff and/or Glenn Erickson need to address.
Old 09-04-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SpinnerX
Of course he goes on to admit that Pacific's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN is not legal, but for some strange reason he assumes that CONVOY is. Can somebody here clue him in?
Well, one can assume that the Convoy disc is a bootleg (and perhaps even reasonably and intelligently so), but it's still just an assumption at this point. No other party has publically stepped forward yet to claim a conflicting right to distribute Convoy on DVD in the US (though perhaps a phone call to Warner Brothers would change this). If I had a DVD column, I would not elect to review the disc, but reasonable people can differ.

DJ
Old 09-04-03, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm bumping this thread because it's something Geoff and/or Glenn Erickson need to address.

I don't think they need to say anything more on the subject -draw your own conclusions.

It's not as if we employ them and we're not talking weapons of mass destruction. These guys do a good job.
Old 09-04-03, 01:05 AM
Suspended

All signs point to Canal Plus as being the world rights holders, and it should be fairly obvious that PFE didn't license the rights to manufacture and distribute the disc from them or from Warners.

If I had a DVD column, I would not elect to review the disc, but reasonable people can differ.
I'd guess that many reviewers feel obligated to review discs from companies that provide screeners. Personally, I find this to be a suspect practice, but I can't see any other reason for Savant to review both Convoy and The Final Countdown from PFE. And if the Final Countdown review was nixed because of the legalities involved, then Convoy should definitely be held to the same standards.
Old 09-04-03, 01:10 AM

All signs point to Canal Plus as being the world rights holders

Yes, Canal+ is part of Vivendi Universal/Studio Canal.

Saying that, I believe Vivendi Universal is soon to merge with NBC.
Old 09-04-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak

I don't think they need to say anything more on the subject -draw your own conclusions.

It's not as if we employ them and we're not talking weapons of mass destruction. These guys do a good job. [/B]
Yes but for the credibility of the website I think they need to clarify why a company who already has been caught bootlegging (Final Countdown) should even be given the time of day for a review!
Old 09-04-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

It's not as if we employ them and we're not talking weapons of mass destruction. These guys do a good job.
Actually, while it IS true they do a good job, that's precisely why they should address it. Forum members or others who happen to wander on here, do so to get information on DVDs. Some are curious about bargains to be had, some are wondering where to find certain DVDs, while others are curious whether or not an insert came with the DVD they just bought .

And some come here to make an informed decision about a DVD before making a purchase.

People looking for DVD information are more apt to believe what a "reviewer" reports on a site called DVD Talk as opposed to WMD Talk.

What makes it even more essential is the stance that Geoff has taken on bootleg DVDs [and by bootlegs i'm speaking specifically about the Star Wars trilogy, and at the time, the Indiana Jones trilogy]. Of course, so far, there hasn't been any confirmation as to whether or not this IS a bootleg. The only inkling that [IMO] suggests that it might be is the announcement from Blue Underground regarding another PFE title "the Final Countdown".

But it's up to them whether or not they choose to respond. If they do, that's fine. If not, i've gleaned enough information during the discussion on this thread to make the decision to hold off on this title [or try for a different region]. So I guess the site has [once again] served its purpose.
Old 09-04-03, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Canal+ is part of Vivendi Universal/Studio Canal.

Saying that, I believe Vivendi Universal is soon to merge with NBC.
Vivendi is selling off some of their assets to GE/NBC, but they're not merging. In fact Vivendi isn't selling Canal at all.
Old 09-04-03, 02:47 AM

In fact Vivendi isn't selling Canal at all.

That's what Vivendi might be saying -the French courts may take a different view.
Old 09-04-03, 03:05 AM

That's what Vivendi might be saying -the French courts may take a different view.
The ownership of Canal+ is irrelevant for Convoy and this thread. No matter who owns Canal+, their current video distribution licenses will remain intact and their licensees will retain those licenses for their duration.

DJ
Old 09-04-03, 07:19 AM

The ownership of Canal+ is irrelevant for Convoy and this thread. No matter who owns Canal+, their current video distribution licenses will remain intact and their licensees will retain those licenses for their duration.

Thanks for keeping us in the right (and posting even more). It does matter or I'd never have posted it.
Old 09-04-03, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they do need to address the issue, especially because of the post by Geoff:

Originally posted by gkleinman
Just a note of caution. I want to make sure people aren't making accusations about a companies product without some hard info to back it up.

I received the following email from PFE:
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 2:53 PM
Subject: New Convoy

To protect your posters and those who are bent on bashing PFE, may I suggest that they check their facts wisely and accurately before making postings. Cheezy Flicks does not have the rights to Convoy and IS selling bootleg copies. They are not affiliated with PFE in ANY way. PFE's version is upstanding and can be proven so. PFE will legally challenge anyone who says otherwise. Please advise your readers that "venting" and slander are coming painfully close to effecting your forums reputation.
We received copies of the DVDs and will be posting reviews in the near future.
Essentially, the post by Geoff cautions people against saying disparaging remarks toward PFE, but then there are no reviews or other comments to support or refute PFE's claims.

That said, maybe it's not a bootleg. After all, bootleggers are doing great things with DVD covers nowadays. Who designed the cover of PFE's release? Their janitor? I could do better with my eyes closed. One of the worst hack jobs I've ever seen. Stretch an existing DVD cover image to the new dimensions, slap a yellow "Explosive Action Drama" box on it, and add red bars at the top and bottom. Ooooh.

Old 09-04-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, that is one of the worst covers I have ever seen.
Old 09-04-03, 11:15 AM

Thanks for keeping us in the right (and posting even more). It does matter or I'd never have posted it.
And how, exactly, do you think the corporate ownership of Canal+ changing hands affects the current US video distribution rights for Convoy?

DJ
Old 09-04-03, 01:38 PM

And how, exactly, do you think the corporate ownership of Canal+ changing hands affects the current US video distribution rights for Convoy?

I don't, I intitially mentioned it as it was relevant as they are the overall rights' owners and couldn't see how a 2 bit company have the video rights. The fact the discussion went off on a slight tangent is normal because this is a 'chat' board.

People like to chat here. Sorry if you don't like it but there's plenty other threads you go lock down with subject matters.
Old 09-04-03, 03:45 PM

I don't, I intitially mentioned it as it was relevant as they are the overall rights' owners and couldn't see how a 2 bit company have the video rights. The fact the discussion went off on a slight tangent is normal because this is a 'chat' board.
So, first it mattered, and now it doesn't? Got it.

People like to chat here. Sorry if you don't like it but there's plenty other threads you go lock down with subject matters.
This has been an informative thread about Convoy, as well Pacific Family Entertainment and its other releases thus far, and I'd rather not see it get pulled into some debate about Vivendi that goes nowhere. Trying to make me feel like a big bad meanie for wanting the thread to stay on-topic doesn't help much, either. Sorry you don't like it, but there's also plenty of other threads where you can go to have pointless debates about who owns Vivendi.

DJ
Old 09-04-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this thread is fine when it stays on the subjects of this DVD and PFE and it's bootlegging activities etc. and even a quick mention of who most likely does have the rights to Convoy, but I agree that to get into any type of lengthy discussion on Vivendi and others it is taking this to far off topic.

The reason people will bring the off topic comments out is because it does take away from most readers enjoyment when they click on a thread that has to do with a certain subject and then have to wade through a bunch of unrelated posts. It's nothing personal and is similar to people posting that a certain thread should be in another more appropriate forum. People are just trying to keep DVDTalk.com an enjoyable place to visit and correspond with others. I will say that some people do need to be more tactful in how they post about getting off topic (although I didn't think the posts here about being off topic were inappropriate).

Last edited by Frank S; 09-04-03 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geoff's earlier post telling us not to say bad things about this dvd & that they would be reviewing it, made it sound like their review would clear everything up for us, when all they did was give incorrect information & try to say that this is a good dvd? There is no way a proper release could be put out with this HUGE error in the mastering and not be recalled immediately. No correction in the review and no other post from Geoff is quite puzzling since he said we should wait for their official word.
Old 09-07-03, 06:49 PM
Suspended

So I guess we aren't going to get any answers, explanations or corrections here? If the honchos at DVD Talk are in fact in contact with PFE, then I for one would like to know exactly what the story is.
Old 09-07-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm glad this thread was here to warn me away from this DVD and this company.

As far as Savant's reviews, if you look through them you will see many instances where it doesn't even seem like he really watched the movie at all.

Anyway, I hope this company gets shut down and the discs pulled from shelves.
Old 09-07-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm sure Geoff is working on getting to the bottom of this..and i'm sure it'll be an interesting story.

I'm also sure that Geoff has many other things to deal with, and since, as I stated above, this thread has served its purpose, it doesn't bother me that he hasn't responded yet.

Though, perhaps he might want to add a link to this thread as a footnote at the bottom of the review in case someone happens to surf to the review without prior knowledge of this discussion..
Old 09-07-03, 07:54 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rogue588
I'm sure Geoff is working on getting to the bottom of this..and i'm sure it'll be an interesting story.
But in the meantime, the Savant review claims that the disc is 16x9 enhanced, and then in a later editorial he claims that it is "fully legit." And this was after DVD Talkers were warned by Geoff not to make accusations about the disc's legitimacy.

All I'm saying is, "Huh?"
Old 09-07-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure Geoff is working on getting to the bottom of this..and i'm sure it'll be an interesting story. Geoff
That's all fine and dandy if he is, but he should at least make a quick post here saying he is doing so because as it stands right now it seems he has been scared by PFE into allowing a false review up on his sight for fear of litigation (which is quite riotous since everyone knows PFE is a bootlegger and would not dare force anything into court)! It's kind of leaving a bad taste in my mouth as to the reputation of this forum and I am sure I am not alone in thinking this!

Last edited by Frank S; 09-07-03 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-07-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, after seeing this post & this review, I see what you mean. But I hardly think he was forced to put a "positive" review on the site by the laughable threat of "legal action" by PFE.

'sides, I don't know how things work on Geoff's throne , but d'ya think he's actually seen the flick? [Isn't that why he has reviewers to begin with..?] Or should we start making him watch every. single. disc. released..?
Old 09-07-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'sides, I don't know how things work on Geoff's throne , but d'ya think he's actually seen the flick? [Isn't that why he has reviewers to begin with..?] Or should we start making him watch every. single. disc. released..?
I don't deny he most likely has NOT seen this horrible DVD but it is his website and this thread has some very valid questions that must be answered by Geoff and his not doing so is making it only worse as to how it looks! Also Geoff certainly does have control over the reviewers he uses and if this Savant is as bad as almost everyone is saying he should also address the need to change to a more respected reviewer. This to can have a bad reflection on DVDTalk if people think the reviewers are horrible.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.