Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Convoy- can't figure out ratio & 16x9??!

Old 08-25-03, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read the thread on www.dvdmaniacs.net and I'm not impressed. All I can say is, bootleg or not, if it looks like crap and smells like crap....well...it ain't tuna.

Besides, I think the bootleggers would have done a better job.
Old 08-25-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
re: www.dvdmaniacs.net forum

oh. my. god.

who the hell is running this company? a six year old?

almost makes me wish I bought mao's copy of "the Final Countdown"..
Old 08-25-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.

The Pacific Family Entertainment's e-mail is poorly worded, grammatically incorrect, with a tone of hostility, defending their ignorance. They also have no idea of what anamorphic video is.

Sound like anyone we know?

I wonder does PFE look for inserts in dumpsters...
Old 08-25-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is some funny stuff.
Old 08-25-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, that thread is pretty entertaining. Those e-mails are amazing... wow.
Old 08-25-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/forums/sho...?threadid=8494

Ah, I'm not crazy. Here's someone else with the same problem. Apparently they tried to tell him it was his fault & that the transfer was fine. I tried it on 3 different players & they all were the same. I'm really surprised DVDTalk is supporting them on this one, unless they gave them a corrected version. Sorry, in the time it took to post, others already gave the link.
Old 08-25-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by El Kabong
I'm really surprised DVDTalk is supporting them on this one, unless they gave them a corrected version.
Actually, the only "support" Geoff gave them was to gently reprimand djtoell about making unbiased claims against a company without proof...

I see PFE's "legal challenge" in the email that Geoff recieved changed his mind...
Old 08-25-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Actually, the only "support" Geoff gave them was to gently reprimand djtoell about making unbiased claims against a company without proof...
A situation which has been discussed and resolved between Geoff and myself.

Though perhaps I shouldn't say much more before they "Do the legal File the case."

DJ
Old 08-25-03, 05:09 PM
Registered

The plot thickens. From Blue Underground:

Dear Geoffrey,
Blue Underground has a proper FINAL COUNTDOWN North America home video (including DVD) license agreement. Last week, we sent a "cease and desist" letter to Triumph Marketing to stop distribution of the illegal Pacific Family Entertainment DVD. We have no claim to CONVOY.

FYI, the Blue Underground FINAL COUNTDOWN DVDs (widescreen & full frame versions) will be new THX-approved 16x9/2.35:1 and 4x3/1.33:1 high-definition transfers and state-of-the-art 6.1 DTS-ES and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks. The tentative Street Date is May 25, 2004. Details of the Extras to be announced.

I hope this clarifies the matter.
Old 08-25-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...they read enough of the posts to bring up threats of legal action, but didn't respond to the actual issue brought up in the first post of the thread

Way to go, customer service!
Old 08-25-03, 11:17 PM

Man, those e-mails are horrendous. The seemingly baseless (and grammatically slaughtered) legal threats over posting on a forum?
Their behavior is suspicious at the least.

Is there any way to go after or report these guys legally for what they are doing (i.e. questionable rights, poor quality)? I know from following the Final Countdown debacle last year more than a few people would be interested in fighting this company's practices. I assume if they still sell DVDs directly from their site we could at least file a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau or other, similar agencies.

This is the first time I've seen a company try this sort of nonsense.

Last edited by Nick A Graham; 08-25-03 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-25-03, 11:22 PM

The e-mail Geoff got is what I have known for a while now. I hope everyone understands where I was coming from in my personal assessment that Convoy appears to be a bootleg, too. Their Final Countdown disc and Convoy disc both have many similarities. I've also heard, but not confirmed, that Warner may be the US rights holder to Convoy (Lustig attempted to acquire it long ago, but it was unavailable, though he didn't tell me who had it). Anyway, if it walks like a duck...

DJ
Old 08-26-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the "walks like a duck" assessment.

Love the drama - keep it up!
Old 08-27-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have already sent a eMail to the MPAA early last week and I don't want to take any credit but it sure is funny how there has all of the sudden been some movement since my eMail explaining to the MPAA about PFE and the films they are releasing on DVD that they (PFE) have no rights to! I mentioned how I could not believe the MPAA would go full bore legally against a gargage bootleggers but sit there and not do anything about this publically exposed bootlegger! I would highly suggest everyone do as I did last week and contact the MPAA so they know there are a lot of people who know of this public bootlegger!

MPAA Piracy contact info:
1-800-662-6797
[email protected]

Also I believe Best Buy is supposed to be selling this PFE re-release so I would suggest we all get a hold of BB corporate and let them know they are selling bootleg DVD's!

Last edited by Frank S; 08-27-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man, I feel bad about paying $7.50 for Convoy now.
Maybe this will make WB (or whoever owns the rights) release a real DVD on Convoy. I wonder if this affects PFE 3 newly announced DVDs?
Old 08-27-03, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by JJE-187
I wonder if this affects PFE 3 newly announced DVDs?
Well, when a company with a history of questionable releases suddenly announces 3 highly-desired but unavailable cult titles, all of which were originally put out by 3 completely different companies...

You do the math. It ain't very likely to be the real thing.

DJ
Old 08-27-03, 05:41 AM
Cool New Member

It's great that Blue Underground will be releasing a legit edition. The Larry Cohen DVDs are superb.

Don't be denied.

Gordy
Old 08-29-03, 05:09 AM

Yeah, but if these get pulled, imagine how much they will go at ebays!
Old 08-30-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

hmmmm...
Old 08-30-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Geoff needs to let us know why he would put a review of a bootleg DVD without, at the bare minimum, a disclaimer that the DVD is being produced (and I use that term extremely loosly) by a company who does so illegally and has done so numerous times!

I am VERY disturbed by this situation!
Old 08-30-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Frank S
I think Geoff needs to let us know why he would put a review of a bootleg DVD without, at the bare minimum, a disclaimer that the DVD is being produced (and I use that term extremely loosly) by a company who does so illegally and has done so numerous times!
The threat of "legal action"..?

Seriously though, I wasn't "hmmmm"-ing about the review being on the site, I was "hmmmm"-ing about Savant's three star, "Good-" Video rating. Not that I agree or disagree...it just makes me more curious..
Old 09-01-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After all the talk about this, that review is a joke. It IS NOT 16x9 enhanced like he says. And he calls it acceptably mastered? Try watching it on a 4x3 tv & see how acceptable it is when the image is squished together. This is truly probably the worst transfer out of my over 1,600 dvds even if it weren't for the error in compressing the image but not making it anamorphic and he gives it 3/5? And this isn't from a guest reviewer. Since they knew about this problem way before the review, he should have checked it out before posting a bad review telling people it's anamorphic & doesn't look bad. Like I said, if you only try it on a 16x9 tv it will SEEM to be anamorphic, but on a 4x3 tv you'll find the image is compressed (like you had your player set for a 16x9 tv when it's not). I have to wonder if those ridiculously bogus legal threats from Pacific didn't influence the review. How is a company going to sue you for being unhappy with a product that is 100% defective & of shoddy quality. If I didn't have a 16x9 tv, I wouldn't be able to watch this dvd- to me that's a major problem!
Old 09-01-03, 04:50 PM

The Region 1 Convoy disc (with VERY SIMILAR artwork to the German disc and the German cinema poster here) is disgusting. That review is way off the mark.

If anyone wants a good copy go no further than the UK, French, Danish or German (which has the longer cut) release.

The overall rights owner for Convoy is StudioCanal/Vivendi Universal. Warner may own the North American rights.

Has PFE said how they aquired such an important film from the world's largest film distibutor?

German StudioCanal/Kinowelt

Old 09-01-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by El Kabong
I have to wonder if those ridiculously bogus legal threats from Pacific didn't influence the review.
No, I'm sure Savant wasn't influenced by anyone. He is simply not very perceptive when it comes to the technical aspects of DVD presentation.

I'm still puzzling over his glowing review for ADV's "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe" disc, one of the worst-looking DVDs I've ever seen.
Old 09-01-03, 07:50 PM
Suspended

On the Savant mainpage, he claims that CONVOY is "fully legit," which of course everyone knows is total BS. He also still doesn't seem to realize that the disc is not 16x9 enhanced. He's watching it on a widescreen monitor thinking that it looks fine.

Of course he goes on to admit that Pacific's THE FINAL COUNTDOWN is not legal, but for some strange reason he assumes that CONVOY is. Can somebody here clue him in?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.